“Drive-Slowing” Injuries

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Let’s talk about them, because they seem to be a real thing. Should there be rules to deter that behavior? Like flopping penalties in the NBA? I believe WVU did what amounted to three or four of them.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I liked how Gundy brought it up during the post game radio. Pointed out how quickly some of the "injured" players came back...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If the player comes back in during that drive, then they ought to charge the team a timeout or else assess a delay of game penalty.
This is actually not a bad idea.

If officials have to stop the clock because of injury (not equipment failure, etc.) at the least that player should have to sit until there is a change in possession.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
If the player comes back in during that drive, then they ought to charge the team a timeout or else assess a delay of game penalty.
Exactly my thoughts. On SurlyHorns they were pulling for the Cowboys last night, and commented on theseveral "injuries". Someone there proposed missing the quarter. But I think the drive is perfect.

Jun 23, 2005
They should change the rule so that the team who has the injured player has to stay on the field. No going to the sidelines to huddle up with the coaches and get a free timeout.

Aug 16, 2012
There will be no rule change until Nick Satan and Bama demand it. ;):D
During the game, I mentioned a similar operating procedure for stopping the clock for a defensive "injury", that being they have to sit out at least to the end of the series, similar to what others here have suggested.

But your reply appears to have been made in jest to a degree but you are right on the money. Until this type of offense is utilized by more teams and in particular, more teams with the clout, nothing will change.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Those bug me too but what about players that are legitimately hurt. Cramps or getting the wind knocked out of you or taking a hard hit can all cause players to come out but be ready to come back in just a few plays later (especially on a long drive). With our luck, we would get such a rule passed and then the next season have players go down with cramps on the last defensive drive in a big game. Then we'd be kicking ourselves.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think they should have to sit for the rest of the drive if they come out of the game. After all, we are protecting players these days. This will stop coaches from flopping in most instances.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Why not time it like they do blood times? If you are down 30 seconds, out 5 plays, down 2 minutes 8 plays, down 3 minutes remainder of the series and next series, down 5 minutes rest of the half, 6 minutes rest of the game. Player re-enters before their play set out time is up the player and head coach are both ejected

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Those bug me too but what about players that are legitimately hurt. Cramps or getting the wind knocked out of you or taking a hard hit can all cause players to come out but be ready to come back in just a few plays later (especially on a long drive). With our luck, we would get such a rule passed and then the next season have players go down with cramps on the last defensive drive in a big game. Then we'd be kicking ourselves.
If you are legitimately hurt then you clearly need some time on the sidelines. For a phantom cramp in between plays, coaches are happy to throw players right back in the game. For real cramps, the player needs to be on the sideline hydrating and stretching out. Putting the player directly back in is actually a huge liability to his own team.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I remember the first time I noticed this was a thing was 2011 at Texas a&m. They got up big on us and then Weeden and Blackmon lit them up. Players were falling down all over the field faking injuries to slow the game down.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
With focus on player safety, you're never gonna see a rule to make an injured player sit out a whole series. Just not gonna happen.

There's already too much to officiate, so asking the officials to evaluate an injury in any way is a non-starter.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
With focus on player safety, you're never gonna see a rule to make an injured player sit out a whole series. Just not gonna happen.

There's already too much to officiate, so asking the officials to evaluate an injury in any way is a non-starter.
But when the WVU guys were getting up and walking back to the sideline *by their own volition*, you don't think there's a problem there? If someone is legitimately hurt, I want to see coaches/trainers helping the player back to the sideline. And yes, at a minimum, I agree that they should sit the rest of the drive. I think that's very fair.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
But when the WVU guys were getting up and walking back to the sideline *by their own volition*, you don't think there's a problem there? If someone is legitimately hurt, I want to see coaches/trainers helping the player back to the sideline. And yes, at a minimum, I agree that they should sit the rest of the drive. I think that's very fair.
No, I mentioned the LB who hurt his shoulder, was walking off, & the cameras caught the WVU staff telling him to get down.

As for the rest of it, like I said, you're gonna have a hard time advocating player safety & at the same time saying "get 'em off the field, he's not hurt that bad."

It's just the way it is & it's a real tough road to go down. I think you could argue something like a mandatory 2 or 3 plays, in the name of player safety, & you might get somewhere.