20 assistant coaches ready for a top job

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
8. Mike Yurcich, Oklahoma State OC – Bowed out of the Kent State job search last season when it appeared attainable and returned to Oklahoma State to make $800,000. (Much more than was available at Kent.) OSU was in the top five in both scoring and average yards last season, the type of averages that should yield Yurcich another opportunity at the end of 2018.

https://sports.yahoo.com/20-assista...emsons-tony-elliott-leads-list-064005638.html

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I wouldn’t mind if he left for a few successful years and came back when The Mullet retires.
I would much rather have Todd Monken back should Gundy leave, too.

Monken was much more feisty and aggressive in his style and demeanor, which would be more in line of Jimmy Johnson and Les Miles (before he screwed us and whored out for LSU).

When Gundy verbally beat the sh*t out of Jenni Carlson (that'll teach her) in the presser, it showed fire and cajones -- which was the inspiration for the frat boy liquor favorite, Fireball.

And the rest is history.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
I would much rather have Todd Monken back should Gundy leave, too.

Monken was much more feisty and aggressive in his style and demeanor, which would be more in line of Jimmy Johnson and Les Miles (before he screwed us and whored out for LSU).

When Gundy verbally beat the sh*t out of Jenni Carlson (that'll teach her) in the presser, it showed fire and cajones -- which was the inspiration for the frat boy liquor favorite, Fireball.

And the rest is history.
Pretty decent post until you credited Gundy for starting the nation-wide craze of “fireballs.”

Mar 8, 2010
Got to think Monken would have a better record vs. uo, but not sure if he could have done what Gundy has done for this program overall. Maybe we just have to accept beating those guys once per decade. I like a coach with Gary Ward, Les Miles, Todd Monken type swagger, especially toward uo.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Got to think Monken would have a better record vs. uo, but not sure if he could have done what Gundy has done for this program overall. Maybe we just have to accept beating those guys once per decade. I like a coach with Gary Ward, Les Miles, Todd Monken type swagger, especially toward uo.
You wouldn’t like Tony Dungy? No curse words. Never raises his voice. Wins a Super Bowl

Coaching like everything else in life is not one size fits all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
You wouldn’t like Tony Dungy? No curse words. Never raises his voice. Wins a Super Bowl

Coaching like everything else in life is not one size fits all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The point is Monken was damn good and not afraid of OU, regardless of his personality. He usually called the perfect play and didn't go conservative at the wrong time. He called better plays than Holgorsen did, and way better than Yurcich, moving the ball down the field instead of sideways.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
The point is Monken was damn good and not afraid of OU, regardless of his personality. He usually called the perfect play and didn't go conservative at the wrong time. He called better plays than Holgorsen did, and way better than Yurcich, moving the ball down the field instead of sideways.
you mean like he did versus texas a&m that last time we beat them down there. weeden threw the wr screen to blackmon about 100 times in the second half. wore the aggie defense to a frazzle. monken was great, as good or the best oc we've had. but don't make up stuff to try and prove your point.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
you mean like he did versus texas a&m that last time we beat them down there. weeden threw the wr screen to blackmon about 100 times in the second half. wore the aggie defense to a frazzle. monken was great, as good or the best oc we've had. but don't make up stuff to try and prove your point.
What have I made up? You just said the wr screen "wore the aggie defense to a frazzle". So that means it was working, they couldn't stop it, therefore he kept doing it because it kept working? What's wrong with that? Then you said monken was as good as anyone or the best we had.
You're getting confrontational over nothing. You just agreed with me. Lol.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I really hope Yurcich gets the opportunity he's hoping for and is successful. He has a great opportunity to show his worth this year and will deserve the accolades for the success we have this year. I am ready for someone else to get the opportunity to prove themselves also. Probably Josh Henson if I were guessing but I have no knowledge of this other than he has been an OC before and is probably only looking at 1 head coaching job in his future.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I really hope Yurcich gets the opportunity he's hoping for and is successful. He has a great opportunity to show his worth this year and will deserve the accolades for the success we have this year. I am ready for someone else to get the opportunity to prove themselves also. Probably Josh Henson if I were guessing but I have no knowledge of this other than he has been an OC before and is probably only looking at 1 head coaching job in his future.
I have met Yurcich a few times. He is a nice dude.