1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

2012 NBA All Stars

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Lab Rat, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Wrangler

KD is a starter and Russ is a reserve. IMO, the most surprising additions are Nowitzki and Pierce, but they are HoF players that have struggled to stay healthy with the shortened season. (Really, Dirk deserves to be on the team simply due of his postseason last year.) I think the biggest snubs were Paul Millsap, Monta Ellis, Lou Williams, Brandon Jennings, and Josh Smith, but none of them have really strong arguments. Of course, I was also disappointed that Harden didn't make the cut, but he really didn't have a realistic shot.

below is pasted from:
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/2/9/2787753/nba-all-star-game-2012-rosters
    Here's the East roster, with starters signified by an asterisk:
    Here's the West roster, with starters signified by an asterisk:
  2. CowboyAdam

CowboyAdam Wrangler

Roy hibbert??
  3. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Wrangler

Due to the lack of quality centers in the East (other than Dwight Howard, of course), I think it came down to Tyson Chandler, Greg Monroe, and Hibbert. However, Chandler and Monroe are both on losing teams, and Hibbert is the only representative from a quality Pacers team. FWIW, Hibbert is averaging a double-double this year and is averaging as many blocks as Chandler and Monroe combined.
  4. CowboyAdam

CowboyAdam Wrangler

I Guess...
  5. colb

A/V Subscriber colb Hey, Jack.

Bynum?
  6. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Wrangler

I don't like the guy, but Bynum definitely deserves to be there. He's leading all Western Conference centers in rebounds and PER and is second in PPG and FG%. In fact, he is averaging more points, rebounds, and blocks than his teammate Pau Gasol. Lastly, like Hibbert, he's on a winning team.

I don't know why it's hard to understand why guys like Hibbert and Bynum are All Stars. There is only one great NBA center (Dwight Howard) and a bunch of other guys that are all about the same. Al Jefferson and Marcin Gortat are about as good as Bynum and Greg Monroe and Tyson Chandler are the same as Roy Hibbert. So, it appears that they just chose the ones from the best teams.

I suppose that an argument could be made to not use a center and instead use another PF, like the Spurs have occasionally done with Tim Duncan. In that case, I think that Pau Gasol and Carlos Boozer might have made the team.
  7. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

East looks to have the better roster, at least the starters.
  8. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Wrangler

The East squad has much better defensive players, like Howard, Iguodala, Deng, Hibbert, and LeBron (all potential Defensive POY candidates). However, no one plays defense in the ASG, I think that the West has more offensive firepower with KD, Kobe, CP3, Russ, Aldridge, and Dirk. If I was building a basketball team for a season, I'd take the East. But for an exhibition game, I think the West is better.

Additionally, Rose and Melo haven't played in a while due to injuries. It wouldn't shock me if both of them sit out of the ASG due to injuries or just to rest. If Rose is out, he would be replaced by Jennings, Irving, or Rondo. If Melo is out, he would most likely be replaced by Danny Granger. Any of those scenarios would be devastating for the East.