1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

2012 OSU Fan Survey

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by OSUDave, Aug 13, 2012.

1. pokegirl4lfe

pokegirl4lfe Wrangler

I did
  2. OP 9000

Staff A/V Subscriber OP 9000 Administrator

dds115 and osupride97 like this.
  3. PlatypusJojo

A/V Subscriber PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

Because he can.
  4. WorldseriesofPoke

WorldseriesofPoke Cowboy

5. L-Town Poke

L-Town Poke can you quack like a duck

really ?:runaway:
  6. Jostate

Jostate Cowboy

That was a dramatization of me being denied my right to vote.
  7. Mr. Orange-Power

Mr. Orange-Power Deputy

That is NO compliment! Nielsen is an antique monopoly. Highly inaccurate!

I've been educating clients of their falsehoods for 30 years!

ORANGE-POWER!!!

Mr. OP
  8. Rixaroo

A/V Subscriber Rixaroo Wrangler

How so? I'm interested.
  9. Mr. Orange-Power

Mr. Orange-Power Deputy

In the OKC market, Nielsen uses only 400 set-top boxes to monitor 712,630 TV households or only 0.0006%.

They suppliment that with 700 diaries for 1,714,373 persons or 0.0004%.

Back in the early 90's we had two rating services for television, Arbitron & Nielsen. Nielsen bought out Arbitron. Even back then I knew they were highly inaccurate.

I took a $600 budget and put two commercials a day, each day, for 3 straight weeks in a program that both Arbitron & Nielsen said no one was watching. That show was "Geraldo". I needed to reach women and my client didn't have much money. So after the run I called to see if he would like to stay with the same program or move to another show. He said that he needed to take a month off to get caught up!

When I was in Missouri, one November book came out for Saturday afternoon ABC college football at 3:30-4 pm with a 10 rating Men 25-54. With Men 18-49 the same time period did a 0 rating. Think about that.

And finally, according to Nielsen there are no Hispanics watching Telemundo or Univision even though our sister Spanish radio station is a top 3 station in the market with Adults 18-34 and the Oklahoma City Public School system is 46% Hispanic (27% Black & 19% White), Oklahoma City is over 17% Hispanic plus, we've grown from 1 Spanish TV station to 4 in just 2 1/2 years! You don't do that if you're not making money for your clients!

We also don't subscribe to Nielsen. It's $125,000 per year per station for a service that says you have no viewers.

Nielsen has a new competitor called Rentrak. They use 20,000 set-top boxes to monitor a market vs. Nielsen's 400. Nielsen says they are going to quadruple their sample size, but that's still only 1600 boxes for our market!

Back to when we had Arbitron and Nielsen. Do you know which book we would use? Which ever one was better! The February book would come out and we'd quote Arbitron. The May book would come out and we'd quote Nielsen.

So, take rating information from Nielsen with some skeptism. It's not the Bible, but too many people in our industry treat it as such. There's no common sense left in TV.

Hope that helped!

ORANGE-POWER!!!

Mr. OP
    orangepower likes this.
  10. Rixaroo

A/V Subscriber Rixaroo Wrangler

11. PokeVille

A/V Subscriber PokeVille .

1600 unique cookies from Sunnyvale, CA? seems odd