2019 Bedlam Football Thread.. Lets keep this going, idiots.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
If you wouldn’t put AiC on the Mount Rushmore of grunge rock, then there’s something incredibly wrong with your taste in music. The fact you’re picking a ridiculous argument in the first place doesn’t lend you much credence on your musical knowledge in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's more irony, like this idiot who mimics Alice in Chains...pathetic

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
If you wouldn’t put AiC on the Mount Rushmore of grunge rock, then there’s something incredibly wrong with your taste in music. The fact you’re picking a ridiculous argument in the first place doesn’t lend you much credence on your musical knowledge in the first place.

Someone who has dreams of a "Mt. Rushmore of grunge rock" questioning my taste in music. Again, classic. And by the way, you are the one who brought up your band and keeps digging the hole trying to convince us your favorite group represents the best that music itself has to offer.
I can only imagine the taste in music you have. Please tell me how Kenny Chesney is an enlightening artist. I’m all ears.

Aug 16, 2012
I can only imagine the taste in music you have. Please tell me how Kenny Chesney is an enlightening artist. I’m all ears.

First, I could not tell you a single Kenny Chesney song. Not my bag. When I want to go country, I personally know the two members of 2Country4Nashville who cover what I consider to be real country songs and quite well, so I have their CDs. Most everything newer than Garth can only marginally be considered country.

I normally listen to older stuff from preference and familiarization, but venture into current stuff as well. I usually find I like B-sides and deep cuts more than the crap that gets promoted (for an example you may appreciate, I think "Ball and a Biscuit" is hands-down the best song of the White Stripes' first CD, but "Seven Nation Army" gets all the pub). My player has close to 4000 songs on it with another 1000 or so YouTube songs bookmarked on my computer. They are all over the map with many mainstream artists but also with some artists many people would never have heard of and across many genres. MC 900 Foot Jesus, Rev. Shawn Amos, Flying Lizards, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Wreckless Eric, Liz Brady, Fanny to name a few. Admittedly, I have more of certain genres, but do not limit myself that way. Currently playing a lot of older blues rock including Hound Dog Taylor and Rory Gallagher with some relatively newer guys like Warren Hays (with and without Gov't Mule) and Bryan Lee which brings me to...

Again, you, are the one who brought up the whole living in the past thing, I just brought up the fact you tried to make me look bad for living in the past while bragging about your passion for a 40-year-old band. I never said I did not listen to old music, in fact, most of what I do listen to is older music.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Not irony, but a stupidly incorrect statement. If the statement were made today, yes, irony. 100 years ago when the potential of the phone was unknown, not irony.
A state of affairs that is contrary to common or reasonable expectation is a definition of irony.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
@OSUinTX to each their own. That band is just one of many projects I have. I also do songwriter songswaps and another acoustic project where I get to play with many local and regional musicians. It’s stuff that’s easy to pick up and put down. That AiC band might play twice a year. It’s just fun to do songs I grew up on and hit harmonies. It doesn’t define me. Hell, in the last month or so I’ve seen Mastodon, Jason Isbell, Brandi Carlile, and Paul McCartney in concert. I’m a bit all over the board too. Variety is the spice of life. No need to shit on someone for liking a type of music you don’t. There’s not a damn thing wrong with Alice In Chains at all. Nor any of the other grunge era stuff for the most part. I’d like to see your argument otherwise.

Aug 16, 2012
A state of affairs that is contrary to common or reasonable expectation is a definition of irony.
Yep, and a brand new invention does not have a reasonable expectation. It is an unknown expectation. Again, in hindsight, the comment is silly. When it was made, not so much. Guess everyone saying that horseless carriage thingy around the turn of the century was a fad was ironic? The Wright brothers' newfangled contraption was not worthwhile, the computer, NASA.

Aug 16, 2012
@OSUinTX to each their own. That band is just one of many projects I have. I also do songwriter songswaps and another acoustic project where I get to play with many local and regional musicians. It’s stuff that’s easy to pick up and put down. That AiC band might play twice a year. It’s just fun to do songs I grew up on and hit harmonies. It doesn’t define me. Hell, in the last month or so I’ve seen Mastodon, Jason Isbell, Brandi Carlile, and Paul McCartney in concert. I’m a bit all over the board too. Variety is the spice of life. No need to shit on someone for liking a type of music you don’t. There’s not a damn thing wrong with Alice In Chains at all. Nor any of the other grunge era stuff for the most part. I’d like to see your argument otherwise.

Dude, I never shit on your preference. I am the last person to criticize someone else's music interest as I recognize my preferences are far from mainstream or popular. The entire exchange had to do with you harping on us for living in the past while you do the same with your band.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Yep, and a brand new invention does not have a reasonable expectation. It is an unknown expectation. Again, in hindsight, the comment is silly. When it was made, not so much. Guess everyone saying that horseless carriage thingy around the turn of the century was a fad was ironic? The Wright brothers' newfangled contraption was not worthwhile, the computer, NASA.
Uhh, the quoted statement echoed was a common and reasonable expectation about the future of the telephone, at that time. Reality is contrary to that belief. Therefore, irony.

Yes, calling the horseless carriage a fad is another fine example of irony. Sometimes you need hindsight to see why something is ironic. Seeing the punchline decades later doesnt make it any less ironic.

Aug 16, 2012
Uhh, the quoted statement echoed was a common and reasonable expectation about the future of the telephone, at that time. Reality is contrary to that belief. Therefore, irony.

Yes, calling the horseless carriage a fad is another fine example of irony. Sometimes you need hindsight to see why something is ironic. Seeing the punchline decades later doesnt make it any less ironic.
Dude, cannot have an expectation, a requirement for irony that is even part of your provided definition, in hindsight. That is just stupid. Done. Dead horse throughout the Midwest are now crawling for cover.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Dude, cannot have an expectation, a requirement for irony that is even part of your provided definition, in hindsight. That is just stupid. Done. Dead horse throughout the Midwest are now crawling for cover.
Of course you can have an expectation. How can you say someone cant have an expectation about a new invention? Western union clearly expected nothing to come of the invention. Perhaps look up the definition of expected? You just saying something doesnt make it so.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Of course you can have an expectation. How can you say someone cant have an expectation about a new invention? Western union clearly expected nothing to come of the invention. Perhaps look up the definition of expected? You just saying something doesnt make it so.
Something you should learn jackass

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark