2020 Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 24, 2015
Houston
How are all my OSU baseball fans doing, who is ready for another season. We are just over a month away from the start of the season wanted to get some peoples thoughts on expectations and what might be the limits that this team could reach this season. Also does anyone think that the new stadium will help with attendance in creating a better game atmosphere especially when big 12 play starts.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I just booked travel back for the TCU series.

I am really excited to see Parker Scott back as our ace. I’m hoping to see someone like Mitch Stone lock down another starting role. There seems to be a lot of talent on this pitching staff, but we will need guys to step up both on the weekend rotation and coming out of the pen. I want to see if we can find a dominant closer and setup guy.

I’m cautiously optimistic about our defense but really want to see if we can find some consistent offense this year. It would be great if could establish some solid bat handlers that can put the ball in play and lay down bunts when called upon.

I think that we have the right kids and coaches to answer these questions, but it will be fun to watch people step up in these roles.

Aug 1, 2008
How are all my OSU baseball fans doing, who is ready for another season. We are just over a month away from the start of the season wanted to get some peoples thoughts on expectations and what might be the limits that this team could reach this season. Also does anyone think that the new stadium will help with attendance in creating a better game atmosphere especially when big 12 play starts.
New stadium helps with attendance, but quality baseball helps bring attendance up. Go POKES!!! Can't wait!

Dec 21, 2008
Have heard some of the newcomers have some talent and will contribute. We will have giants in the corner OF spots again with power. Huey to SS has done well I heard. Some of the young arms need to mature mentally and continue to grind but have a huge upside, just depends how fast they can get there. Several really good new bats from transfers and freshmen

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Have heard some of the newcomers have some talent and will contribute. We will have giants in the corner OF spots again with power. Huey to SS has done well I heard. Some of the young arms need to mature mentally and continue to grind but have a huge upside, just depends how fast they can get there. Several really good new bats from transfers and freshmen
I was wondering what young arms you have heard about that could fill out the weekend rotation and I know during the fall there was talk about Standlee being put in the bullpen. What is your best guess of what the weekend rotation will look like.

Dec 21, 2008
Tried looking online and does the roster have all the new additions? Doesn't feel like it. I know Noah is playing well and will get some hitting/pitching options, Huey moving to SS opens up Gardner to move into 2b or another talented freshman to come in and play. Parker, Stone and the 3rd spot is open (I would pencil in Brett). Osmond from Jenks has potential but got banged around in either AR or Vandy game but he throws hard and competes. Kelly should get more opportunity this year even though he and Osmond got rocked by Vandy. Leeper should be the closer from the start as he's had another healthy year and ready to finish his career strong and healthy. Have also heard Trenkle and Polkovich as having a lot of potential and talent

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Another name that I think you will hear a lot about once the team gets back to school and starts practicing is Justin Campball. Was a late addition but is two way player and one hell of one at that.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
If Walton really does go with Standlee in the bullpen, I would think the main competition for the other two rotation spots would be Campbell, Davis, Stone, and Phansalkar. I would expect to see Phansalkar handled similarly to the way that Scott was last season, bring him along slowly, but he might have a chance to crack the rotation at some point during conference play. I wouldn't be shocked to see Standlee handled the same way as Lienhard last season.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Tried looking online and does the roster have all the new additions? Doesn't feel like it. I know Noah is playing well and will get some hitting/pitching options, Huey moving to SS opens up Gardner to move into 2b or another talented freshman to come in and play. Parker, Stone and the 3rd spot is open (I would pencil in Brett). Osmond from Jenks has potential but got banged around in either AR or Vandy game but he throws hard and competes. Kelly should get more opportunity this year even though he and Osmond got rocked by Vandy. Leeper should be the closer from the start as he's had another healthy year and ready to finish his career strong and healthy. Have also heard Trenkle and Polkovich as having a lot of potential and talent
The full roster isn’t usually posted at OSU until the kids have come back for the spring semester. There have been times in the past where someone who was on campus and the team in the fall simply didn't show back up rather they transfer or just quit playing baseball. There are also often times someone comes to school for the spring who wasnt there in the fall. Some universities don’t do this and have had updated rosters since the fall but OSU typically does it this way.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
If Walton really does go with Standlee in the bullpen, I would think the main competition for the other two rotation spots would be Campbell, Davis, Stone, and Phansalkar. I would expect to see Phansalkar handled similarly to the way that Scott was last season, bring him along slowly, but he might have a chance to crack the rotation at some point during conference play. I wouldn't be shocked to see Standlee handled the same way as Lienhard last season.
Do you have a sense of what the lineup may look like 1 thru 9.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...lls-offense-looks-more-versatile-despite-loss

found this right after I posted. May have already been shared but an awesome taste tester
I think this was even posted earlier on this thread but I couldn’t help reading it again. Lol. Guess I’m pretty desperate to get info. I’m looking forward to Josh's position breakdowns that he always does on the okstate.com website. Those usually come out toward the end of January

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Do you have a sense of what the lineup may look like 1 thru 9.

I really have no idea, but I'll take a stab at it just from what I've read here and there.

LF - Sifrit/McCusker
CF - Trenkle/Sifrit
RF - Cabiness/McCusker
3B - Thompson/Polcovich
SS - Morrill/Hewitt
2B - Polcovich/Hewitt/Gardner
1B - Garcia/Robertson?/Taylor?
C - Mathis/Spiegel
DH - McCusker/Thompson/Sifrit/Hewitt/Robertson

Batting Order (shot in the dark here):
Morrill
Trenkle
Polcovich
McCusker
Garcia
Thompson
Cabiness
Sifrit
Mathis (if Mathis is a fastball hitter, if not, I would flip Sifrit and Mathis because you're not throwing out Sifrit at 2nd base if you're throwing breaking balls)