2020 Fall Camp thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Bryce Bray was going to be our RT. He’s a huge loss. Farrell could’ve challenged at LT to keep Jenkins at RT. Coaches would prefer Jenkins on the right side, because of his elite run blocking skills. Farrell was our most athletic OL, and some believe he could’ve been a starter or a swing tackle at the very least.

I like Anthony more on the inside b/c I question if his footwork will be good enough to handle edge rushers. He’s does play with an edge and is a good run blocker. We went from 4 returners to 2. Depth is now an issue. We seriously can’t have nice things.
I thought Anthony’s thing was that he was the one in the group with good fundamentals but maybe wasn’t quite as athletic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I thought Anthony’s thing was that he was the one in the group with good fundamentals but maybe wasn’t quite as athletic?

I don’t think I said he has bad fundamentals. It’s solid but not spectacular. He’s a waist bender, and plays heavy footed, which is why he’s suited for the interior IMO. Maybe he proves me wrong at RT. Our OL went from well above average to average real quick.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I don’t think I said he has bad fundamentals. It’s solid but not spectacular. He’s a waist bender, and plays heavy footed, which is why he’s suited for the interior IMO. Maybe he proves me wrong at RT. Our OL went from well above average to average real quick.
I was thinking footwork=fundamentals.

Doesn’t he have a ton of arm length? That’s one thing in favor him going Tackle.

Oct 30, 2007
The scary thing is that Jenkins, Sills, & Schneider, are all seniors. These losses could hurt us more next year than this year. I definitely don't want to go back to having issues up front like after Wickline left.

Hopefully our younger players will step up. Coach Dickey has an important job to do.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma

Doesn’t he have a ton of arm length? That’s one thing in favor him going Tackle.

footwork is an aspect of fundamentals as is hand placement, the ability to sink your hips. He plays heavy footed...he might take the right steps but it takes him awhile to get there. His kick step in pass protection is slow....that’s what I mean by heavy foot. There’s a saying “slow feet don’t eat”. His foot speed needs to improve to handle the edge IMO.

having long arms is nice, and important...but worthless if you don’t have the footwork to match. Really good OL are light on their feet, and can sink their hips, turn, and attack their opponents.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The scary thing is that Jenkins, Sills, & Schneider, are all seniors. These losses could hurt us more next year than this year. I definitely don't want to go back to having issues up front like after Wickline left.

Hopefully our younger players will step up. Coach Dickey has an important job to do.
I think Sills has a Med RS to use thus 2 yrs to play

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I hope so. I knew a CU trainer who worked under both Chuck Fairbanks and Jimmie Johnson, at CU and OSU respectively, who cited the same thing. Jimmie knew everyone's names and Fairbanks none,other than the stars. He said the cultural difference was staggering. Hope MG got the message.
Chuck Fairbanks had 300 players at hand, Jimmy had 150 and Gundy has 120.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It was reported on local radio that this had to do with them not liking the very tight ship that OSU is running regrading covid rules and perhaps they broke them more than once...I don't know if that is in the least bit true...but that was the report I heard on sports radio today. Maybe it will add a bit of spice to the espn deal that they are filming. We will see. Good luck to both young men, starting at another place isn't always the worst thing.

Oct 30, 2007
I think Sills has a Med RS to use thus 2 yrs to play
I hope you're right. He's listed as a senior on our roster though. I wonder if there's any chance that they could talk Dylan Galloway into playing his final year after these departures. We definitely need him.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

footwork is an aspect of fundamentals as is hand placement, the ability to sink your hips. He plays heavy footed...he might take the right steps but it takes him awhile to get there. His kick step in pass protection is slow....that’s what I mean by heavy foot. There’s a saying “slow feet don’t eat”. His foot speed needs to improve to handle the edge IMO.

having long arms is nice, and important...but worthless if you don’t have the footwork to match. Really good OL are light on their feet, and can sink their hips, turn, and attack their opponents.
I mean, arm length does bail out plenty of slower off the line tackles (the best OT in the big 12 over the last 5 years was probably Orlando Brown), it’s just you’ve gotta have that precise footwork (and bend like you said) to make sure you stay balanced as the rusher comes close to the body as he turns the corner. But there is a route for the monstrous sized guys who may be a bit a heavy footed to guard the edge. Gotta hope that’s the case. From what I saw on Birmingham’s high school huddl tape he seems to be more of a true guard to me, excellent north & south, less so laterally plus he’s not quite as big or long. A guy you want pulling.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I mean, arm length does bail out plenty of slower off the line tackles (the best OT in the big 12 over the last 5 years was probably Orlando Brown), it’s just you’ve gotta have that precise footwork (and bend like you said) to make sure you stay balanced as the rusher comes close to the body as he turns the corner. But there is a route for the monstrous sized guys who may be a bit a heavy footed to guard the edge. Gotta hope that’s the case. From what I saw on Birmingham’s college tape he seems to be more of a true guard to me, excellent north & south, less so laterally plus he’s not quite as big or long. A guy you want pulling.

Although I say that, I’m reading Robert Allen’s stuff now and he says Birmingham is 6”8 which is not what I remember at all

Jun 14, 2011
I mean, arm length does bail out plenty of slower off the line tackles (the best OT in the big 12 over the last 5 years was probably Orlando Brown), it’s just you’ve gotta have that precise footwork (and bend like you said) to make sure you stay balanced as the rusher comes close to the body as he turns the corner. But there is a route for the monstrous sized guys who may be a bit a heavy footed to guard the edge. Gotta hope that’s the case. From what I saw on Birmingham’s high school huddl tape he seems to be more of a true guard to me, excellent north & south, less so laterally plus he’s not quite as big or long. A guy you want pulling.

Anyone know if Paul Atreides has any eligibility left. Apparently he can bend like a reed in the wind...

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma

arm length is nice sure, but at the end of day it’s a measurable..Orlando Brown has exceptional footwork despite his size. He wasn’t the most athletic but his footwork played a huge role in his success. Most players his size kick inside...he’s the exception. Anthony is no where near that kind of talent and based on what I saw last season he’d be better served inside but doesn’t seem like we have a choice due to depth. Aaron Cochran grad transfer from California was similar size to Orlando brown, but very average and struggled at LT in 2017. Maybe he proves me wrong but that whole right side is a huge concern for me.