A different perspective of the game . .

  • You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
545
367
113
65
Texas
#1
So the popular view is that Gundy is a dumbaSS arrogant mullet head for the way he managed the game vs uT. Could be.

Or it could be that he was looking forward at games 5-12 when he was looking at this game #4 vs uT.
If you throw your Freshman QB against uT's defense, on the road, 100K, in his 4th start . . . could be we get blown out and the QB is broken, asking him to do too much. The team is deflated by a big blowout loss. Doubts creep in.

But, if you run your stud RB 45 times, you might not win, but you won't get blown out (fewer chances for INT and clock management, defense is not on the field all day, etc.). Your QB and team will be competitive, hungry and ready for games 5-12.

Maybe, maybe, Gundy "sacrificed" game #4 for success in the next 6 or 7 games. . . . . .
 
Oct 30, 2007
3,708
3,206
1,743
#2
Coaching to minimize a loss is completely unacceptable. If Spencer Sanders is too mentally soft to throw passes in a tough environment, he should be on the bench. If our head coach isn't doing everything possible to win games, he should be fired.

I love Coach Gundy. He's the most successful coach in the history of our program. We'll probably build him a statue some day. He's just way too conservative at times. It drives me crazy. Leave it all on the field, and tip your hat to the other team if they beat you.
 

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
33,472
21,044
1,743
68
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
#3
So the popular view is that Gundy is a dumbaSS arrogant mullet head for the way he managed the game vs uT. Could be.

Or it could be that he was looking forward at games 5-12 when he was looking at this game #4 vs uT.
If you throw your Freshman QB against uT's defense, on the road, 100K, in his 4th start . . . could be we get blown out and the QB is broken, asking him to do too much. The team is deflated by a big blowout loss. Doubts creep in.

But, if you run your stud RB 45 times, you might not win, but you won't get blown out (fewer chances for INT and clock management, defense is not on the field all day, etc.). Your QB and team will be competitive, hungry and ready for games 5-12.

Maybe, maybe, Gundy "sacrificed" game #4 for success in the next 6 or 7 games. . . . . .
Sounds like a plan for mediocrity.
 
Nov 5, 2003
179
121
1,593
64
morgantown, wv
#4
So the popular view is that Gundy is a dumbaSS arrogant mullet head for the way he managed the game vs uT. Could be.

Or it could be that he was looking forward at games 5-12 when he was looking at this game #4 vs uT.
If you throw your Freshman QB against uT's defense, on the road, 100K, in his 4th start . . . could be we get blown out and the QB is broken, asking him to do too much. The team is deflated by a big blowout loss. Doubts creep in.

But, if you run your stud RB 45 times, you might not win, but you won't get blown out (fewer chances for INT and clock management, defense is not on the field all day, etc.). Your QB and team will be competitive, hungry and ready for games 5-12.

Maybe, maybe, Gundy "sacrificed" game #4 for success in the next 6 or 7 games. . . . . .
That's absolutely ridiculous.
 
Nov 23, 2007
1,207
786
1,743
#6
Wait!

It’s like chess in five dimensions!

You can’t see the genius of Gundy because you rarely listen to the Fifth Dimension!
 
Sep 25, 2008
28
0
1,551
Dallas/Stillwater
#7
Some of the posters on here are complete tools (^^^^) This is a forum for opinions but the armchair experts are out in force calling poo poo.

This is a possible argument. You don't set up your long term plan for immediate failure if you want them to succeed in the long run. I do not agree that he was playing for a loss, but i do think he is not turning Sanders loose just yet to protect him (mentally and physically) for the long run. This is what a coach is supposed to do.

I like Coach Gundy and will take him as our coach every day until the day that he hangs it up. It doesn't excuse the miscues that occurred during the game that are ultimately the coaches responsibility (fake punt after a delay of game penalty. However, he will likely correct it. And even if he didn't, if that's the worst that he does while helping to elevate our program to a new level ill take it.
 
Aug 19, 2006
176
51
1,578
#8
So the popular view is that Gundy is a dumbaSS arrogant mullet head for the way he managed the game vs uT. Could be.

Or it could be that he was looking forward at games 5-12 when he was looking at this game #4 vs uT.
If you throw your Freshman QB against uT's defense, on the road, 100K, in his 4th start . . . could be we get blown out and the QB is broken, asking him to do too much. The team is deflated by a big blowout loss. Doubts creep in.

But, if you run your stud RB 45 times, you might not win, but you won't get blown out (fewer chances for INT and clock management, defense is not on the field all day, etc.). Your QB and team will be competitive, hungry and ready for games 5-12.

Maybe, maybe, Gundy "sacrificed" game #4 for success in the next 6 or 7 games. . . . . .
Not sure about intentionally sacrificing the game. That seems unlikely but you make some good points. As frustrating as it was to see them keep running Chuba it did burn off a lot of clock. That probably did help us keep them in the game. Our defense wasn't exactly shutting them down so time of possession was really important.
 

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
1,041
489
213
Shawnee, OK
#10
OP may not be far off...

If this were true and the team executes on a few areas and the coaches dont call some boneheaded plays...the game was winnable. Perhaps the game plan was close to this but some in-game nuts-ery derailed things.
 
Feb 15, 2017
545
367
113
65
Texas
#13
Maybe "sacrifice" was a poor choice of words, I'm sure Gundy wanted to win the game.

Let's say his "give it to Chuba and keep it close" gave a 40% chance to win and 10% chance of a blowout loss and 50% chance of loss.

And "put it all on Spencer" gave a 45% chance to win and 25% chance of a blowout loss and 30% chance of a loss .

So for the increased 5% chance of a win, he didn't want the 2.5X chance of a blow out.

And it was working at halftime 20-21, so he probably thought if we can get this down to the last possession kind of game . .. . . we've got a better chance.
 

Well

Master of my mistakes
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
446
168
1,593
#14
Coaching to minimize a loss is completely unacceptable. If Spencer Sanders is too mentally soft to throw passes in a tough environment, he should be on the bench. If our head coach isn't doing everything possible to win games, he should be fired.
This ^
 

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
33,472
21,044
1,743
68
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
#15
Maybe "sacrifice" was a poor choice of words, I'm sure Gundy wanted to win the game.

Let's say his "give it to Chuba and keep it close" gave a 40% chance to win and 10% chance of a blowout loss and 50% chance of loss.

And "put it all on Spencer" gave a 45% chance to win and 25% chance of a blowout loss and 30% chance of a loss .

So for the increased 5% chance of a win, he didn't want the 2.5X chance of a blow out.

And it was working at halftime 20-21, so he probably thought if we can get this down to the last possession kind of game . .. . . we've got a better chance.
That would be typical Pat Jones thinking but he had Barry Sanders, the GOAT.
 
Nov 21, 2018
181
60
78
45
Amelia Island, FL
#18
And after that first INT by Spencer, Gundy probably was convinced that he'd better keep it conservative and wait for the last possession.
I’m a Gundy fan. I was in college for the end of Pat Jones and the almost the entirety of the Bob Simmons era. Yes, I was on the 5 year plan! I do like to complain about Gundy’s decisions from time to time, but in general I’m very appreciative we have him over some previous coaches. After that interception, the way he was coaching up Sanders was admirable at this point in his development. But I think that is a glimpse into Gundy’s mentality with Sanders and this offense. Very patient and more of a teacher. I want Sanders/Gundy to get that impatient fire that top competitors in our league have. Rudolph had it, Mayfield had it, I think/hope Sanders can find it with time and experience. I’m just not sure Gundy has it anymore.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
19,028
14,010
1,743
#19
And after that first INT by Spencer, Gundy probably was convinced that he'd better keep it conservative and wait for the last possession.
Which actually worked 4 years ago in Austin when the punter fumbled the ball. As long as they keep messing up punts in one way or another that strategy may give us a chance.