A Leftist Mob ‘Polices’ Portland

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
From WSJ oped page:

A Leftist Mob ‘Polices’ Portland
The real cops hold back for fear of changing ‘the demeanor of the crowd for the worse.’

By Andy Ngo
Oct. 11, 2018 6:59 p.m. ET

Flyers urged Portlanders to attend a protest: “27yo black father of 3 murdered by racist Portland Police.” Some 100 Black Lives Matter activists with the group Don’t Shoot Portland and their masked antifa allies answered the call to gather downtown Oct. 6. Fists in the air, they demanded “justice” for Patrick Kimmons, killed by police in late September. “Stop racist police terror,” read one sign at the rally. “Throw all cops in the trash,” declared another. Never mind that Kimmons had an extensive criminal record and was suspected of shooting two people before police responded.

As the crowd made their way to a nearby courthouse, they marched in the middle of the street, bringing traffic to a stop though they didn’t have a permit. Kent Houser, 74, made the mistake of attempting to pass them in his sedan. His car slowly pushed against a masked marcher. The crowd surrounded the car and started kicking it. After speeding down the block, Mr. Houser stepped out and was assaulted by the mob. They pushed him and smashed his car with clubs after he managed to get back inside the vehicle. No police were in sight even though the central precinct was blocks away.

Portland’s Resistance, a local social-justice group, then put out a call on Twitter asking the public to identify “this white man.” They published photos of him and his license plate with the message: “Make racists afraid again.” Mr. Houser has since received threatening phone calls identifying his wife by name. “I’ve lived here my whole life but I don’t want to go downtown anymore,” he says. “When the streets are commandeered by a sponsored group of angry, agitated ingrates and criminals, we have no city.”

The mob later occupied a busy intersection. When a middle-aged man driving a car with North Carolina plates stopped in confusion, the agitators descended on him. “You white little f—er!” shouted one white man. “You are a little white supremacist. Go back to North Carolina where you came from.” The driver phoned police for assistance. Nobody came.

The crowd targeted other drivers. “You’re lucky you didn’t hit me. I would have beat your a—,” yelled a demonstrator at another driver. One person punched the back of a passing car whose driver dared to honk. In downtown Portland, law-abiding drivers were at the mercy of marauding street thugs.

A block away, police officers looked on passively. Why didn’t they respond? The department told me in a statement that it feared intervention would “change the demeanor of the crowd for the worse.”

Such lawlessness is increasingly typical here. Portland’s Resistance organized a protest after Election Day 2016 that turned into a riot. Masked vandals smashed stores and set fires, causing over $1 million in damage. Portland’s Resistance raised $55,000 on GoFundMe ostensibly to help pay for the rebuilding effort. Two years later only $2,450 is known to have been dispersed. This summer a mob occupied the area around the local Immigration and Customs Enforcement office for more than a month.

When people find out that I live in Portland, one question I’m frequently asked is if the comedy show “Portlandia” is anything like real life. I tell them real life is much worse.

Mr. Ngo is an editor at Quillette.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
yeah, I watched the video. The protestors are definitely on one. They were clearly trying to antagonize the public and the cops into more of show of force:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-dcJrnGTM

HOWEVER, I still think the first video was much tamer than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Plzx73K68

I hope this broadcaster is a news source you can trust.

I still believe Heather Heyer had it worse than Kent Houser. You're opinions?
------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think Portland authorities should do about agitators in the streets and public places @RxCowboy and @CocoCincinnati ??

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Sad to say there are public places in this country it’s not safe to go and you can’t rely on law enforcement to assist you. Thank you liberal policies in action.

Mar 11, 2006
yeah, I watched the video. The protestors are definitely on one. They were clearly trying to antagonize the public and the cops into more of show of force:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-dcJrnGTM

HOWEVER, I still think the first video was much tamer than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Plzx73K68

I hope this broadcaster is a news source you can trust.

I still believe Heather Heyer had it worse than Kent Houser. You're opinions?
------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think Portland authorities should do about agitators in the streets and public places @RxCowboy and @CocoCincinnati ??
You are not trying to excuse the first video because of what occurred in Charlottesville are you?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Arrest people who are clearly breaking the law. If the mob gets worse, have the national guard ready to go. The best way to address this is by the DNC loudly and firmly condemning it but sadly they won't. Instead, Maxine Waters goes on camera and encourages protesters to get in peoples faces and crowd around them, while at the same time Hillary Clinton says the left won't be civil until they return to power.

The Democrat leadership is inciting and excusing this crap and the only way to address it is to continue voting against them, which unfortunately will make things worse before it gets better. It's also unfortunate because the Republicans suck ass and are getting moderate voters dumped in their lap as the only other game in town meaning they never have to follow through on their promises to win elections.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Arrest people who are clearly breaking the law. If the mob gets worse, have the national guard ready to go. The best way to address this is by the DNC loudly and firmly condemning it but sadly they won't. Instead, Maxine Waters goes on camera and encourages protesters to get in peoples faces and crowd around them, while at the same time Hillary Clinton says the left won't be civil until they return to power.

The Democrat leadership is inciting and excusing this crap and the only way to address it is to continue voting against them, which unfortunately will make things worse before it gets better. It's also unfortunate because the Republicans suck ass and are getting moderate voters dumped in their lap as the only other game in town meaning they never have to follow through on their promises to win elections.
I agree. I looked through your post history and didn't notice any posts about the Proud Boys and Gavin McGuinness (sp?) using similar tactics in Portland, Oregon earlier this year.

Kind of interesting, right?

Mar 11, 2006
Yes.
I hope we can agree that it is dangerous to protest and block streets without a permit. Obviously it is not the answer to use a vehicle as a weapon, but protesters do put themselves in harms way when illegally blocking streets. The Portland police should have intervened sooner and were lucky someone was not hurt.

Unfortunately, everyone rightly condemns the violent murder of the protester in Charlottesville, but not everyone condemns the behavior of the Antifa protesters.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Not at all. I said one was worse than the other.

Do you agree or disagree?
Is this a game? Shall we count the examples of far left "mob" behavior, and far right "mob" behavior, in, say the past 2 years and see who wins the "disgrace award"? If you want to go there, I'll play. Sounds like fun.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I honestly don’t know why there hasn’t been a mass exodus from their police department. Why those guys willingly work there is beyond me.
Exactly, and it will happen if this is allowed to continue. Then what’s next?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I agree. I looked through your post history and didn't notice any posts about the Proud Boys and Gavin McGuinness (sp?) using similar tactics in Portland, Oregon earlier this year.

Was there a discussion about the incident in Oregon of which you speak? If not, that might explain why you don't notice posts about them in my history (if I missed it, I apologize). Let me be clear though in case you have any doubt; I don't condone, support or approve of the group and if their members are disrupting traffic, damaging property or assaulting innocent passersby like antifa does, then they should absolutely be arrested as well. And if any politician in the Republican party is on camera telling those protesters to get in peoples faces or saying the right is going to be civil only when they are in power, then that person should be voted out at the earliest possible opportunity and shunned from the party.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor

So how many Proud Boys have been arrested vs. anti-themselves? C'mon. Be honest.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
So how many Proud Boys have been arrested vs. anti-themselves? C'mon. Be honest.
It's difficult to know either number; because both groups have been disrupting each other and the most obnoxious offenders on both sides often get hauled off.

Hopefully in separate paddy wagons, but it would make a good reality show.

I think there's clearly jackasses on both sides of the disputes. I'd like the normal ones to have the loudest yet civil voices during disagreements, but if you've ever watched CSPAN; you know that stuff is boring as hell.