a real chance

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Oklahoma State football has a real chance to have its best year in history. With our offense and defense being the best since 2011. What say you?

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Oklahoma State football has a real chance to have its best year in history. With our offense and defense being the best side 2011. What say you?
By my calculations football season is still 3 or 4 decades away, but I like where you're going here. Much of it hinges on Sander's development Wallace's recovery and how well the program handles those distractions you are hoping to avoid in this thread.

I'm actually optimistic about our D, which I haven't said since the early 80's.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I thought Jim Knowles was an upgrade when he was hired. His scheme and adjustments set up really well with the guys he has on the roster. The defensive line especially the 3 down guys are really the key to the success of the defense. I totally agree that Spencer Sanders development is the key to the offense. The o-line looks to be strong under Dickey. I'm looking forward to seeing Glass carrying the ball in backup to see his development. I said this all last year but J Woods is an absolute mismatch for any defense and I hope we utilize him to where he is a threat. WR is stacked and if we have a 90% Wallace he will still be an AA. It really sets up for a great year for the Pokes. The off the field stuff will take care of itself once practice starts, at least that's my hope.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
Soph QBs usually take a step backwards. It's Jr. year that they really come around.
Here is hoping Sanders took his step backward mid year last year. He clearly had a slump mid season, then righted the ship somewhat. I think the "sophomore slump" is more about overconfidence than anything else, and he got humbled last year during his sting of bad games.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm also a little worried about how us fans are glossing over the injuries to Wallace and Peel. Both were ACL if I'm not mistaken, and late in the year. Seems a little presumptuous to assume they'll be back to full strength right away. We do have the luxury of easing them in with the non-con though, at least I think we do.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Here is hoping Sanders took his step backward mid year last year. He clearly had a slump mid season, then righted the ship somewhat. I think the "sophomore slump" is more about overconfidence than anything else, and he got humbled last year during his sting of bad games.
yep, it was unfortunate he got hurt when he did...had he not gotten hurt we would have hung in the Bedlam game and won the Texas bowl...teams would have had to cover both him and Hubbard in the running game...Not that I didn't appreciate Brown, just that he wasn't as athletic in the run game as Sanders and just a step behind in the long passing game IMHO as well.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Potentially it could be 2011...although Weeden was more proven coming into that season compared to sanders going into 2020. This also could be 2017 all over again. We haven’t even won a conference opener since 2015, and I believe we open the conference at TCU. There’s also been a disturbing trend of getting out-coached. Still worried about the secondary especially corner. I’m hoping it’s 2011, but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s 2017 all over again.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I'm most intrigued by the new combo of Dunn at OC and the dedicated QB coach. I think the latter could be the single biggest term in the equation when determining our success on the offensive side of the ball.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
10 wins should be the floor for the season. We basically get a preseason with the first 4 games to ease the guys back from injury. I think sanders running ability will take the pressure off him in big games.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I guess you’re assuming there will be a season.

I’ll be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baseball season starts in late July...Basketball is playing a tournament soon...golf already going...I assume we will have a season. We just need to figure out how to stinking wear mask in public places...it's not rocket surgery.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Soph QBs usually take a step backwards. It's Jr. year that they really come around.
I'm most intrigued by the new combo of Dunn at OC and the dedicated QB coach. I think the latter could be the single biggest term in the equation when determining our success on the offensive side of the ball.
I have high hopes Sanders will be able to avoid a sophomore slump since it's his 3rd year in the program and he now has Rattay working with him. I think Sanders was showing much improvement before his injury, including the realization he doesn't have to win games by himself. IF Chuba and Wallace can even approach last season's output Sanders would need only moderate improvement to make us very hard to beat.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I have high hopes Sanders will be able to avoid a sophomore slump since it's his 3rd year in the program and he now has Rattay working with him. I think Sanders was showing much improvement before his injury, including the realization he doesn't have to win games by himself. IF Chuba and Wallace can even approach last season's output Sanders would need only moderate improvement to make us very hard to beat.
As I've said countless times......my belief is that we need to figure out a way to spread the ball around more to take pressure off our big 3. We have way too much talent to see so much of our offense going through 3 guys. Plus, spreading the ball around makes it impossible for the defense to key our playmakers as much.

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
As I've said countless times......my belief is that we need to figure out a way to spread the ball around more to take pressure off our big 3. We have way too much talent to see so much of our offense going through 3 guys. Plus, spreading the ball around makes it impossible for the defense to key our playmakers as much.
Hopefully there will be a season to find out. I hope that they incorporate Woods, Stoner, and Wolf a lot more.