AG Barr tells FOP there should be Zero tolerance for resisting police

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Binman never misses an opportunity for veiled cop-bashing and to support other "resistance" based rabble rousing.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
You might beat the rap, but you’ll never beat the ride.

You can go, or you can go bruised and bleeding, and maybe electrified or with some bullet holes, but, you’re gonna go.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
You might beat the rap, but you’ll never beat the ride.

You can go, or you can go bruised and bleeding, and maybe electrified or with some bullet holes, but, you’re gonna go.
He called the cops to take me in
And I said you're never gonna do it friend
And they just smiled
And said "Oh Yes We Will"
Now a stick to the head
And some kicks in the chin
And a several bites from Rin Tin Tin
And I couldn't wait to get into that jail

Hank Williams Jr

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
This should be taught to all kids growing up. EVEN if you disagree just comply with officers then complain after the fact. You won't get shot and with all the video and dash cams etc you will likely win in a court case.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This should be taught to all kids growing up. EVEN if you disagree just comply with officers then complain after the fact. You won't get shot and with all the video and dash cams etc you will likely win in a court case.
This is why I posted this...I thought this was already the way it was. It confused me for this message to be delivered to the FOP

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
This is why I posted this...I thought this was already the way it was. It confused me for this message to be delivered to the FOP
Yeah, we definitely all mistook your angle on this one. lol. It's sad that my generation (I'm only in my early 30's) has been raised in a manner that Barr even has to make a statement like this...

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
definitely NOT the "way it was".

Larry Elder and many other stalwarts of the Black Community espouse this message all the time (to anybody that will listen)

and there are statistics that show complaints against police are fewer when body cameras are worn, not because the behavior of the Police changed, but because the behavior of the person being stopped changed when they knew they were being filmed.

Police with body cameras receive 93% fewer complaints – study
During the 12 months before the study, a total of 1,539 complaints were lodged against police in the areas examined, amounting to 1.2 complaints per officer. By the end, the number of complaints had fallen to 133 for the year across all sites – 0.08 per officer.

The researchers were surprised to find that there was no statistically significant difference between the number of complaints received by officers wearing cameras and those without, a result they said may be a result of “contagious accountability”.

Well

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Oklahoman's do have a common law right to resist an illegal arrest. While the court of crims will eventually judicially legislate the end of this right, it remains on the books, so far. I haven't seen anything to show the right has been totally extinguished yet.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Oklahoman's do have a common law right to resist an illegal arrest. While the court of crims will eventually judicially legislate the end of this right, it remains on the books, so far. I haven't seen anything to show the right has been totally extinguished yet.
I think that you're misinterpreting the law..... you cannot resist detention. (which is what the thread is discussing)

In Oklahoma, you have a right to resist an illegal arrest. You cannot, however, resist an illegal detention, according to a published decision the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals returned on Sept. 18, 2015.

The Oklahoma court recognizes a right to resist an illegal arrest. Even attorneys well versed in case law, however, vigorously debate exactly when a detention becomes an arrest. The Oklahoma court, nonetheless, hinged citizens right to resist unlawful police power on the nebulous concepts that differentiate detention from arrest.
https://www.wirthlawoffice.com/tuls...rt-finds-no-right-to-resist-illegal-detention

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Says comply now and complain later is how it should be with zero tolerance when it comes to citizens interaction with police

https://amp.businessinsider.com/wil...olice-speech-2019-8?__twitter_impression=true
I don't disagree with this policy or most of the subsequent quotes.

However, I don't think the punishment for resisting arrest should be death just like I don't think that we should shoot people who commit various other felonies.

Resisting arrest is a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the severity which is a judgement call at best.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Wow, which judicial system do you live in? I want to move there.

Maybe I am just a optimist, but I think major judicial and criminal reform would help diminish the motive to resist arrest.

Example: How many times do you see dumb people (and they are dumb) resist arrest for a insignificant amount of pot, or suspended license, or some other non-violent crime.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Example: How many times do you see dumb people (and they are dumb) resist arrest for a insignificant amount of pot, or suspended license, or some other non-violent crime.
The same number of times you see dumb people that could have just accepted the penalty that they know existed for the law they were breaking...

I guess I'm a pessimist because I don't see that getting fixed until people start accepting responsibility for their actions again...