An Open Letter to Megan Rapinoe, from America

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
I think this sentence actually belongs in the thread about Paul George. He left our great state barely into a four year contract. Maybe you can help me find the thread where you are raging about him.
Horrible analogy. The rules of the game allow each player to negotiate individually and change teams at will, within the parameters of the game's rules. The USWNT has a CBA under which all players are compensated on a team basis, not an individual basis.

And BTW, you make a point. George does not move the needle like KD or The Beard did and you will find plenty of discussion about their departures on this board.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
You are completely missing the point and are gullibly falling into the narrative they want you to . This is not about women, gay, black, etc. This is about a second-tier product that generates a small fraction of the revenue inanely believing they deserve the same degree of compensation as those that perform at the highest level and generate billions in revenue.

Tell you what. Let us take out the woman factor and other arguments of convenience designed to elicit sympathetic, equality response. Answer one question....why does a minor league baseball player not get paid the same as someone in the Show? The answer is simple. Despite being the same general composition in regard to gender, race and sexual orientation, minor league players are not as good, they play for smaller crowds, and they do not generate anywhere near the revenue as the major league teams.

Tiger Woods is nowhere near the golfer he used to be but because he still attracts insane crowds, he gets compensated more than pretty much everyone else in regard to appearance fees, endorsements, etc. Sponsors know he moves the needle, he draws crowds, he makes everyone money, even those who play against him.

A pro surfer, X-game athlete, triathlete, etc , are every bit the athlete a soccer player is. Do they get paid the same as NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. athletes? No. Why? There is not as much interest, few sponsorship dollars and television revenue.

Be smarter than falling for the equality schtick. They get paid less because their sport makes less. Plain and simple.

BTW, if this were about equality, each player, beginning with Rapinoe, would put all individual sponsor/endorsement dollars into a pool to be equally shared with all teammates and coaches. This is about wanting more and manipulating the situation using current social hotbutton topics to do so.
No, your are missing the point. We are not involved in their contract AT ALL. I am not falling for any narrative as I’ve already said unlike all of you I couldn’t care less what they are paid. Of course it isn’t about equality, that is a negotiation tactic. It is about money for them. I’m not here to defend them other than they have the right to try to get maximal pay out of a system just like any other American business. I am here to point out the utter absurdity of a bunch of conservative men all of the sudden caring that business negotiations are completely fair and revenues are doled out perfectly as they see them for a business they have no interest in. Of course, the fact that it is a bunch of women that brought on this sudden concern for fair business negotiation is completely “irrelevant.”:lol:

Ask yourself, of all the business negotiations that go on, why do you care that this one is “fair?” Millions of negotiations happen daily with unfair outcomes in someone’s opinion. Simply be honest with yourself why you care about this one.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Horrible analogy. The rules of the game allow each player to negotiate individually and change teams at will, within the parameters of the game's rules. The USWNT has a CBA under which all players are compensated on a team basis, not an individual basis.

And BTW, you make a point. George does not move the needle like KD or The Beard did and you will find plenty of discussion about their departures on this board.
Are you saying there is some agreement that prevents the women’s team from doing what they are doing or are you just trying to point out a distinction that makes no difference at all to the point?

Aug 16, 2012
Ask yourself, of all the business negotiations that go on, why do you care that this one is “fair?” Millions of negotiations happen daily with unfair outcomes in someone’s opinion. Simply be honest with yourself why you care about this one.
I care because it is a reflection of the equality ignorance the permeates our country right now and their use of the social outrage as a bargaining tactic is dishonest, akin to parading disabled folks or a dead child to sway the ignorant masses who are too stupid to see through the charade.

I care because they already make a greater percentage of revenue than those who make more money for the organization as a whole.

I care because if successful, it will just further an unsustainable precedent where merit is ignored, replaced by social pressure to make business decisions.

I care because unlike professional sports, I have a vested interest since my tax dollars are used in part to pay their salaries, which I already abhor, and this will only result in even more tax dollars being wasted.

I care, because if successful, it will snowball to Olympic sports that I also abhor tax dollars being used to finance.

I care because their lawyers negotiated their current contract and now they are unhappy about it and want more. As a principled man, I respect contracts.

Aug 16, 2012
Are you saying there is some agreement that prevents the women’s team from doing what they are doing or are you just trying to point out a distinction that makes no difference at all to the point?
They have a contract that needs to be honored. George had a contract, but it specifically stated terms outlining how he can go elsewhere. Apples. Oranges.

Jul 22, 2011
Which is ironic considering that apparently what they make is dependent on specifically how many people watch them. You'd think she'd be bending over backwards to offend as few people as possible, but no, lawsuits and rhetoric instead.
There are exponentially more far-left woke idiots than there are potential women's soccer fans. Her strategy is solid, I'll give her that.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...-quest-for-back-pay-in-the-us-womens-tea.html

Worth your time..... The claims of equal pay aren't an apples to apples comparison. The women's team are employees with benefits etc etc due to the fact there is no alternative league for them to play soccer. The men are essentially all contractors and many actually make less than the women due to not being on the roster full time and lack of success. The women are also suing against a CBA they negotiated in in 2017 and cheered the deal. Part of the praise for this deal is that it wasn't all performance (like the mens) driven and they players would have steady income etc etc. Our ladies are clearly the best in the world and I'm not saying pay improvements can't be made....but what they are fighting in the media isn't the whole story.

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Is anyone on this board negotiating with them? You are making my point. Every day business negotiations, lawsuits, and other methods are used by people/companies to try to get more money. The only time anyone on this board complains about that fact is if the person/company trying to get more money is a women, a minority, gay or otherwise liberal. I think that the guy who sells fewer widget but was able to negotiate more compensation for himself or his widget company has made a smart move. As would all of you if we were actually talking about some corporate widget maker. But, since we are talking about a women’s soccer team, blasphemy that those chicks would try to get more money. How dare them. Don’t they know their place? Don’t they know that nobody else in business ever tries to get more than what some person on op.com feels is the fair share?
actually... nooo...

I doubt that anybody here cares how much any of them make... just like news broadcasters, or other entertainers... who cares (is the attitude)

The only reason it's being discussed is the same reason that AOC is discussed, because they're in our face and they're stupid - and we get to say so.

It's very clear that they don't "deserve" more money according to almost all known metrics (which is all we have to measure and "pick a side"). Hence, they're nothing more than taking up media time (in our face) while promoting the equivalent of a politician promoting a $15/hr wage.

nobody really cares, they look like fools and we get to mock them for it. It's the new American media sport

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I have no problem with them negotiating, but my understanding was their contract is not ready to be negotiated.
I think this sentence actually belongs in the thread about Paul George. He left our great state barely into a four year contract. Maybe you can help me find the thread where you are raging about him.
I'm not raging about anyone. That's your problem that you read that into it.. I just have an opinion about a team that says they supposedly represent America and have shown to be very hostile towards us.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I have no problem with them negotiating, but my understanding was their contract is not ready to be negotiated.
And Paul George left our state in a trade deal that was agreed upon by the owners of both teams so it has no validation on people trying to renegotiate a contract that's not up yet when the owners of that contract don't want to negotiate. And I only said I believe I heard it was not up yet. It might be.

Mar 11, 2006
No, your are missing the point. We are not involved in their contract AT ALL. I am not falling for any narrative as I’ve already said unlike all of you I couldn’t care less what they are paid. Of course it isn’t about equality, that is a negotiation tactic. It is about money for them. I’m not here to defend them other than they have the right to try to get maximal pay out of a system just like any other American business. I am here to point out the utter absurdity of a bunch of conservative men all of the sudden caring that business negotiations are completely fair and revenues are doled out perfectly as they see them for a business they have no interest in. Of course, the fact that it is a bunch of women that brought on this sudden concern for fair business negotiation is completely “irrelevant.”:lol:

With respect, you are missing the point. Or more accurately, you are adding a point that is not being argued. You keep inferring that we are posting because they are women or they are gay. Nobody cares about that. The fact is they appear to be paid in line or even better than the revenues received. This continues that false narrative that women are paid 77 cents on the dollar.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You are completely missing the point and are gullibly falling into the narrative they want you to . This is not about women, gay, black, etc. This is about a second-tier product that generates a small fraction of the revenue inanely believing they deserve the same degree of compensation as those that perform at the highest level and generate billions in revenue.

Tell you what. Let us take out the woman factor and other arguments of convenience designed to elicit sympathetic, equality response. Answer one question....why does a minor league baseball player not get paid the same as someone in the Show? The answer is simple. Despite being the same general composition in regard to gender, race and sexual orientation, minor league players are not as good, they play for smaller crowds, and they do not generate anywhere near the revenue as the major league teams.

Tiger Woods is nowhere near the golfer he used to be but because he still attracts insane crowds, he gets compensated more than pretty much everyone else in regard to appearance fees, endorsements, etc. Sponsors know he moves the needle, he draws crowds, he makes everyone money, even those who play against him.

A pro surfer, X-game athlete, triathlete, etc , are every bit the athlete a soccer player is. Do they get paid the same as NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. athletes? No. Why? There is not as much interest, few sponsorship dollars and television revenue.

Be smarter than falling for the equality schtick. They get paid less because their sport makes less. Plain and simple.

BTW, if this were about equality, each player, beginning with Rapinoe, would put all individual sponsor/endorsement dollars into a pool to be equally shared with all teammates and coaches. This is about wanting more and manipulating the situation using current social hotbutton topics to do so.
No, your are missing the point. We are not involved in their contract AT ALL. I am not falling for any narrative as I’ve already said unlike all of you I couldn’t care less what they are paid. Of course it isn’t about equality, that is a negotiation tactic. It is about money for them. I’m not here to defend them other than they have the right to try to get maximal pay out of a system just like any other American business. I am here to point out the utter absurdity of a bunch of conservative men all of the sudden caring that business negotiations are completely fair and revenues are doled out perfectly as they see them for a business they have no interest in. Of course, the fact that it is a bunch of women that brought on this sudden concern for fair business negotiation is completely “irrelevant.”

It's about a sport, this is a sports board. They also represent America, we are in America. They are the ones who make it about gender, we just think it's silly that they want to ruin their chances with potential fans and act like they deserve better than women in other sports when they already get paid a pretty fair wage. And you are defending them because you keep arguing like we can't have our opinion, and that's exactly how they want it to be. Shut people up by calling them sexist or racist or whatever -ist is popular. We know we don't affect their contract, but we can talk about it.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Which is ironic considering that apparently what they make is dependent on specifically how many people watch them. You'd think she'd be bending over backwards to offend as few people as possible, but no, lawsuits and rhetoric instead.
There are exponentially more far-left woke idiots than there are potential women's soccer fans. Her strategy is solid, I'll give her that.
But how many woke idiots are going to spend their time and money at a soccer game when they could be protesting something while on their iPhones.

Jul 22, 2011
But how many woke idiots are going to spend their time and money at a soccer game when they could be protesting something while on their iPhones.

She honestly doesn't ever have to kick another ball.
The job of "Social Media Influencer" and "Left-wing Activist" pays far better than "Worlds best woman soccer player".

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

The job of "Social Media Influencer" and "Left-wing Activist" pays far better than "Worlds best woman soccer player".
But wait I thought this was all about the pay structure for the women's soccer team and everybody on that team and all the women who play soccer nationally. Are you trying to tell me that this is nothing but about Meghan? Color me shocked!

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

And there could be a pretty good argument as to whether or not she really is the greatest women's soccer player.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The starting 16 for the national team in a World Cup year make about $300k after bonuses.

They are salaried, full time employees of USA Soccer. Their normal annual salary is around $100k. They get full benefits (medical, 401k, maternity leave).

The men, on the other hand, are part time employees that are only paid on bonuses for playing in international competition. The full-time starters might make more than a million... but the guys scraping for a spot typically will make about $300k.

There isn't a real pay gap in USA Soccer... and they just negotiated a CBA in 2017, and Rapinoe was a big part of the negotiations.

I think this will end in the women learning the hard way that if they are equal to the men in this regard, they will be very disappointed by the results... as it stands, they have it really good. Especially when you compare them to other international sports sponsored by a USA governing body like wrestling.