and Boynton Laughs

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
As far as comedy goes, this is gold Jerry! Gold!

8th place in the Big XII? Boynton just laughs.

https://twitter.com/thacoachmike/status/1278684951618166791?s=21

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
I’m not sure why MIke B. finds the SI prediction so funny. The track record of MB’s teams so far doesn’t support a much higher pre-season pick. The cowboys lost about 75% of their scoring from last year. He has some nice pieces but he’ll still have to coach his butt off to have the success the fans expect.

Sep 23, 2010
Yeah. I like Boynton. But having the number 1 player has not proven to make you a tournament team over the years. Ask LSU, Memphis and Georgia fans.

Aug 8, 2006
Tulsa, OK
Good lord Coach Boynton is feeding the trolls on Twitter. Never seen him interact with burner accounts like this, he could stand to put the phone down over the weekend.

Sep 23, 2010
Well Smart panned out reasonably well. I hope this team can make a run like Smart's freshman year but win some NCAA games.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
And just like that my visions of Marcus Smart are coming back to haunt me. Pretty sure he wasn’t rated number 1 but Travis had it all.
Boynton has shown the ability to do more with the talent he has. We never saw that with Ford. Boynton just hasn’t had a full stable of high caliber talent to this point. This season will show us what he can do after some outstanding recruiting and recommitment from nearly all the players. I think the NCAA sanctions have galvanized the team and hopefully they’re at least a little inspired by the Eddie documentary. I think there’s a reason almost all the players stayed. They believe they’re going to be a part of something special. If we hit a losing skid early, it could be tough sledding. But I think we’re a top 4 team in the Big XII, but the ceiling is even higher.

Nov 8, 2007
Here is my take on Mike Boynton. I really like the guy. I want him to succeed. He was shafted his first season on the tourney. The second season was a complete failure on many different levels. The third season was a teetering on the line the whole season, with us trending upwards the last part of the season before covid-19. He has signed a wonderful class, and I hope that everything aligns so he can get into the tourney in his fourth season. My point- he hasn't accomplished anything, yet. Frankly, if we don't make the tourney in the first available season (due to the suspension), then I would be in favor of letting him go. I want to be clear...I don't want that. I want him to win and succeed. But, we seem to have gone all in on a coach that is unproven, and we are gnashing teeth at a coach that has taken OSU football to places no one ever dreamed possible. I am very concerned about the state of OSU athletics.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Rooting for Boynton...his attitude and humbleness is refreshing. Like any young coach, he's struggling to figure it out from an X and O standpoint and can only get better with experience. He's also had some recruiting mistakes from a character standpoint, which also happens. The guy is literally 37 yrs old and is learning on the fly. Hopefully he gets it together.

In terms of Gundy....IMO I see most are satisfied with what he's done at OSU. There's some that want more, which there's nothing wrong about that, but for some they see it as being ungrateful. Most of the fanbase is happy with going to bowl games, but there's a growing section of the fanbase that wants more, like championships. Some are tired of his arrogance and shtick as its worn on fans over the years. I think the common fan would acknowledge that Gundy is the best football coach in school history and its not close. I think the football program has plateaued IMO. I think Gundy taken this program as far as it can go. Maybe he gets it done in 2020 (assuming we have a season). It would be nice to win another Big XII title, b/c I honestly think this is Gundy's last shot.

Nov 6, 2010
Rooting for Boynton...his attitude and humbleness is refreshing. Like any young coach, he's struggling to figure it out from an X and O standpoint and can only get better with experience. He's also had some recruiting mistakes from a character standpoint, which also happens. The guy is literally 37 yrs old and is learning on the fly. Hopefully he gets it together.

In terms of Gundy....IMO I see most are satisfied with what he's done at OSU. There's some that want more, which there's nothing wrong about that, but for some they see it as being ungrateful. Most of the fanbase is happy with going to bowl games, but there's a growing section of the fanbase that wants more, like championships. Some are tired of his arrogance and shtick as its worn on fans over the years. I think the common fan would acknowledge that Gundy is the best football coach in school history and its not close. I think the football program has plateaued IMO. I think Gundy taken this program as far as it can go. Maybe he gets it done in 2020 (assuming we have a season). It would be nice to win another Big XII title, b/c I honestly think this is Gundy's last shot.
I think most of the dissatisfaction comes from missed opportunity. If you really look at the bulk of Gundy's tenure, the opportunity for success was tremendous. I mean basically a decade of Texas mediocrity and some of that time coincided with OU being relatively mediocre. We won the conference in 2011 then followed that up with less than impressive recruiting. Combine that with our massive facilities upgrade during his tenure, and I think it's reasonable to see where some could be disappointed for not fully capitalizing on all those factors coming together at once. Now of course the facilities have been equaled or surpassed, and OU is back on the upswing. It remains to be seen if Texas is, but they certainly seem to be.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I think most of the dissatisfaction comes from missed opportunity. If you really look at the bulk of Gundy's tenure, the opportunity for success was tremendous. I mean basically a decade of Texas mediocrity and some of that time coincided with OU being relatively mediocre. We won the conference in 2011 then followed that up with less than impressive recruiting. Combine that with our massive facilities upgrade during his tenure, and I think it's reasonable to see where some could be disappointed for not fully capitalizing on all those factors coming together at once. Now of course the facilities have been equaled or surpassed, and OU is back on the upswing. It remains to be seen if Texas is, but they certainly seem to be.
I don’t think anyone is questioning his overall success..at least the common fan. Part of the reason for success has been Texas being down. We not followed 2011 mediocre recruiting, but up and down seasons as well. In the end, it simply is what kind of expectation you have as a fan.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
And just like that my visions of Marcus Smart are coming back to haunt me. Pretty sure he wasn’t rated number 1 but Travis had it all.
Ford’s teams didn’t have the depth that this team will have. When Cobbins went down, Smart’s sophomore campaign was scuttled because there was no backup shot blocker. Other teams scored at will.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I thought we were talking about basketball.

Sep 23, 2010
Boynton has shown the ability to do more with the talent he has. We never saw that with Ford. Boynton just hasn’t had a full stable of high caliber talent to this point. This season will show us what he can do after some outstanding recruiting and recommitment from nearly all the players. I think the NCAA sanctions have galvanized the team and hopefully they’re at least a little inspired by the Eddie documentary. I think there’s a reason almost all the players stayed. They believe they’re going to be a part of something special. If we hit a losing skid early, it could be tough sledding. But I think we’re a top 4 team in the Big XII, but the ceiling is even higher.
Boynton has shown that his guys don't quit on him during the season, regardless of good or bad. He gets his guys to play hard most of the time. They usually defend reasonably well, granted sometime without the proper strategy. He has not proven to "do more" on the offensive end. We have had times where we are just bad on offense. Not just because we don't have guys that can make plays....

I am hopeful he's studied the pro game a lot this summer. It looks like we will be playing a lot of small ball or positionless basketball, and the NBA is the right place to study that kind of basketball. We need some help in the spacing and movement department.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I thought we were talking about basketball.
Are you declaring Bedwin's law?

Bedwin's law - As an online OSU sports discussion continues the probability of our historic disparity to OU in football approaches 1. At the point when that comparison is made one may declare Bedwin's law and offending party loses the debate.

Last edited: