and Boynton Laughs

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Are you declaring Bedwin's law?

Bedwin's law - As an online OSU sports discussion the probability of our historic disparity to OU in football approaches 1. At the point when that comparison is made one may declare Bedwin's law and offending party loses the debate.
Why is it called Bedwin’s Law? A combination of Bedlam and Godwin’s law?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I think most of the dissatisfaction comes from missed opportunity. If you really look at the bulk of Gundy's tenure, the opportunity for success was tremendous. I mean basically a decade of Texas mediocrity and some of that time coincided with OU being relatively mediocre. We won the conference in 2011 then followed that up with less than impressive recruiting. Combine that with our massive facilities upgrade during his tenure, and I think it's reasonable to see where some could be disappointed for not fully capitalizing on all those factors coming together at once. Now of course the facilities have been equaled or surpassed, and OU is back on the upswing. It remains to be seen if Texas is, but they certainly seem to be.
I thought we were talking about basketball.
Don't you know. Every thread can be brought around to how much they hate Gundy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Boynton has shown that his guys don't quit on him during the season, regardless of good or bad. He gets his guys to play hard most of the time. They usually defend reasonably well, granted sometime without the proper strategy. He has not proven to "do more" on the offensive end. We have had times where we are just bad on offense. Not just because we don't have guys that can make plays....

I am hopeful he's studied the pro game a lot this summer. It looks like we will be playing a lot of small ball or positionless basketball, and the NBA is the right place to study that kind of basketball. We need some help in the spacing and movement department.
That’s fair. I would say we were “out-athleted” in games where we had good shooters, but we couldn’t create our own shots because the defenders were more athletic. That disparity will not be as pronounced this year, which means our defense *should* improve as well.

But your points are valid. Talent doesn’t necessarily equate to success. And Boynton hasn’t always brought the best game plans (which is why we sometimes lost to lesser teams). I believe he is an exceptional motivator and he will meld the talent into a strong team. But we haven’t seen him work with any player like Cade or the combination of egos and expectations he’ll need to manage this season.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I believe he is an exceptional motivator and he will meld the talent into a strong team. But we haven’t seen him work with any player like Cade or the combination of egos and expectations he’ll need to manage this season.
Agree. But there are two things that make me believe he'll handle egos just fine: 1) His recruiting success. Nothing is more ego driven than recruiting HS stars, each of whom thinks he's heading to the NBA. 2) This off season, where almost every player, no matter how much playing time he got, recommitted to Boynton. I may read too much into this, but I feel these guys are more concerned about letting Boynton down than they are about playing time.

As others have said, HCMB may need more experience with Xs and Os, but I'm confident he'll handle the people issues fine.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I’m not sure why MIke B. finds the SI prediction so funny. The track record of MB’s teams so far doesn’t support a much higher pre-season pick. The cowboys lost about 75% of their scoring from last year. He has some nice pieces but he’ll still have to coach his butt off to have the success the fans expect.
If we don't come in higher than 8th in the conference (covid permitting) I'll eat a bug.

A bug.

Sep 23, 2010
That’s fair. I would say we were “out-athleted” in games where we had good shooters, but we couldn’t create our own shots because the defenders were more athletic. That disparity will not be as pronounced this year, which means our defense *should* improve as well.

But your points are valid. Talent doesn’t necessarily equate to success. And Boynton hasn’t always brought the best game plans (which is why we sometimes lost to lesser teams). I believe he is an exceptional motivator and he will meld the talent into a strong team. But we haven’t seen him work with any player like Cade or the combination of egos and expectations he’ll need to manage this season.
No doubt we haven't had a guy to give the ball to at the end of the shot clock since Evans. I am excited for this year, but I get nervous when folks start assuming success. I am more of a day by day guy. So Boynton chuckling on Twitter about a 7-11 conference record prediction makes me nervous. And Boynton has been nearly flawless at public comments thus far. Many things can go wrong here. Season gets delayed, Cade says hell with it...who knows at this point.

Nov 14, 2010
As far as comedy goes, this is gold Jerry! Gold!

8th place in the Big XII? Boynton just laughs.

https://twitter.com/thacoachmike/status/1278684951618166791?s=21
I think predicting us to finish 7th, ahead of Iowa State, would be fair.

I can certainly understand why an outside entity would put us where this article put us with what we lost last year.

What we are adding looks great on paper, but, its virtually impossible to predict the extent of their impact vs the extent of loss we have to absorb.

Losing Cam, Lindy and our best big man is a lot

We'll see how the plus/minus works out with the new additions, but considering how average we were last year, the plus/minus will have to be significant.

And....much of what we are banking on for the massive improvements are kids that have 0 college experience, so who knows how that transition will play out, how long it will take etc...

Boynton is puffing his chest a little to inject some artificial ego into the program, but I think the article is fair.

I like Coach Boynton and think hes just about 100% spot on with the way he handles off the court business, but Im not a big fan of this in particular reaction.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think predicting us to finish 7th, ahead of Iowa State, would be fair.

I can certainly understand why an outside entity would put us where this article put us with what we lost last year.

What we are adding looks great on paper, but, its virtually impossible to predict the extent of their impact vs the extent of loss we have to absorb.

Losing Cam, Lindy and our best big man is a lot

We'll see how the plus/minus works out with the new additions, but considering how average we were last year, the plus/minus will have to be significant.

And....much of what we are banking on for the massive improvements are kids that have 0 college experience, so who knows how that transition will play out, how long it will take etc...

Boynton is puffing his chest a little to inject some artificial ego into the program, but I think the article is fair.

I like Coach Boynton and think hes just about 100% spot on with the way he handles off the court business, but Im not a big fan of this in particular reaction.
I don’t recall a season where the fan expectations covered this wide of a range. I think finishing anything in the lower half of the Big XII is a disappointment. Maybe I’m overly optimistic. What do you think is the best conference ranking we could realistically achieve with this team?

Apr 14, 2009
All of this talk about MIKE and how he coaches and players and how talented they are is fine. Tho what we really need to be successful are butts in the seats. If y’all don’t understand that a full house gave Eddie a huge advantage during his time as head coach your memories are lacking. Keep in mind that a full house was 6100 for a large portion of Eddie’s time in Stillwater.

Nov 14, 2010
I don’t recall a season where the fan expectations covered this wide of a range. I think finishing anything in the lower half of the Big XII is a disappointment. Maybe I’m overly optimistic. What do you think is the best conference ranking we could realistically achieve with this team?
Anywhere from 3rd to 6th

Simply because

The transition from High School to college is a tricky one to predict.

I think the youth of this team and the issues that come with that will show over a league schedule and several games.

However, being young, I do think this team has the chance to strike lightning in a bottle and get hot and beat everyone in their way for 2 weeks at a time.

Meaning....
Young teams have a tendency to be more streaky than they do to be consistent.

So...I do think we could get hot at the right time and win some games in the NCAA tournament.

I think a 6th place finish and a win in the NCAA tournament would be a good over/under line to judge this seasons success by

Sep 23, 2010
All of this talk about MIKE and how he coaches and players and how talented they are is fine. Tho what we really need to be successful are butts in the seats. If y’all don’t understand that a full house gave Eddie a huge advantage during his time as head coach your memories are lacking. Keep in mind that a full house was 6100 for a large portion of Eddie’s time in Stillwater.
Well, I think most teams are going to have to figure it out without full arenas this year. I don't see 100% capacity allowed this year unless vaccine is created by then. Otherwise, we are going to see limited capacity. My understanding is Kansas is having a heck of a time how to prioritize donors who have been donating for decades to keep their seats and tell them no seats will be available this season.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think most of the dissatisfaction comes from missed opportunity. If you really look at the bulk of Gundy's tenure, the opportunity for success was tremendous. I mean basically a decade of Texas mediocrity and some of that time coincided with OU being relatively mediocre. We won the conference in 2011 then followed that up with less than impressive recruiting. Combine that with our massive facilities upgrade during his tenure, and I think it's reasonable to see where some could be disappointed for not fully capitalizing on all those factors coming together at once. Now of course the facilities have been equaled or surpassed, and OU is back on the upswing. It remains to be seen if Texas is, but they certainly seem to be.
I've often wondered what could or might have been in Gilbert holds onto that ball in '13. Would've been 2 out of 3 titles, Rudolph coming in to start his career, & on & on.

Long story short is he's been good enough to get within a game of winning the conference how many times now?, but only gotten it done once.

Nov 6, 2010
I've often wondered what could or might have been in Gilbert holds onto that ball in '13. Would've been 2 out of 3 titles, Rudolph coming in to start his career, & on & on.

Long story short is he's been good enough to get within a game of winning the conference how many times now?, but only gotten it done once.
Prepare yourself to get castigated for having this discussion on a "basketball" thread. @CPTNQUIRK and his star fleet allies are gonna bring the photon torpedoes.