Another conference realignment thead.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 21, 2011
A few months ago I went to a Longhorn board to pose this question, so I'll pose it here...

Who do you blame for the mass exodus of 4 schools from the Big12? On the UT board they were pretty unanimous in their blame. I'm interested to hear y'alls' take.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Each individual school. aggy has an inferiority complex as deep as the mariana trench. It is all their fault they left. Missou actually started it because they thought they were someone they weren't screw them. Nebraska was in decline and had been left behind by ou and was getting caught and passed by KSU and OSU. They blamed Texas for rules that were beneficial to them (nU). They left thinking leaving texas would solve their problems when their problem is them. Screw them.

Colorado was right to go. They are a better fit in the pac and they have wanted to for decades. Nobody watches them anyway.

Oct 30, 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Big_12_Conference
One point of contention in the Big 12 was the unequal distribution of TV revenue, as was common in most other top conferences. Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma objected to equal sharing, according to former Commissioner Dan Beebe.

Following the near disaster in 2010, the other five pushed for a spring vote on a "Grant of Rights" deal that would grant all sports media rights of member schools to the conference. This would make it very difficult for a key school to leave. The proposal needed a 75% majority, but was defeated by Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

I chock it up to greed from the upper tier schools, and the complete & utter failure of Dan Beebe as our commissioner. It's an embarrassment that we're the only power 5 conference without a network.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
On the UT board they were pretty unanimous in their blame. I'm interested to hear y'alls' take.
I'm curious, what was the Longhorn consensus?

The cause is complex, for sure, and the reasons probably vary school to school. Colorado left mostly for cultural and perhaps recruiting reasons, feeling (rightly) that they fit in better in the Pac. Nebraska had academic reasons to join the BIG, though maybe some misguided cultural and recruiting ideas as well. A&M made more of a long-term strategic decision to separate from UT, being the only Texas school in the SEC could prove valuable (jury still out, seems no impact so far). Mizzou was just off their rocker, it doesn't make any sense to me.

But all schools had a financial incentive to leave as well. The fact is that outside of Dallas and Houston, there just isn't much population within the footprint of the Big XII, old or new. So that puts the conference at a disadvantage for TV money. There wasn't much to be done about that other than proactive expansion, but by the time we figured out that was needed it was kinda too late. Better leadership might have changed that. Interestingly, the departure of those schools consolidated the existing financial pie into fewer schools, so those that stayed got a bit of a short term bump.

So the next question is whether all of this shifts after the GOR ends. Will the mega-TV deals continue? And if so, will the Big XII fall further behind? Or will streaming change the game by that point? Do the BIG, SEC, or PAC decide to go to 16? If so, who will find a landing spot and who won't?

Also, a question for you: do you think the schools that left are in a better position than they would have been had they stayed? I'd say probably not. None of them have had much on-field success. Despite the predictions, the Big XII is doing just fine, and would have been even stronger if the four schools had stayed. The one thing they do have is better long-term security. But A&M would have been fine even in a hypothetical future Big XII dissolution situation, and might have better on-field results in the mean time.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
One point of contention in the Big 12 was the unequal distribution of TV revenue, as was common in most other top conferences. Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma objected to equal sharing, according to former Commissioner Dan Beebe.

Following the near disaster in 2010, the other five pushed for a spring vote on a "Grant of Rights" deal that would grant all sports media rights of member schools to the conference. This would make it very difficult for a key school to leave. The proposal needed a 75% majority, but was defeated by Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

I chock it up to greed from the upper tier schools, and the complete & utter failure of Dan Beebe as our commissioner. It's an embarrassment that we're the only power 5 conference without a network.
I've heard this plenty of times, but good grief, do people believe Dan Beebe had the power to make schools fall in line? The commissioner only has what power the members allow, that's it. He doesn't have some unilateral authority to throw out mandates.

As far as embarassments & conference networks, try the PAC12 out, where they can't even get their network on DirecTV, & their revenues are still considerably less than Big 12 schools.

Aug 16, 2012
I've heard this plenty of times, but good grief, do people believe Dan Beebe had the power to make schools fall in line? The commissioner only has what power the members allow, that's it. He doesn't have some unilateral authority to throw out mandates.

As far as embarassments & conference networks, try the PAC12 out, where they can't even get their network on DirecTV, & their revenues are still considerably less than Big 12 schools.
Funny as 6-10 years ago, Larry Scott was considered a demi-god and the press was touting the P12 as a success story.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The schools that left: Missouri and Colorado weren't having much sustained onfield success in the Big 12. Texas A&M has stayed at their good not great level they maintained in the Big 12.

Nebraska has definitely stepped backward, but they've been on a downward slope since the late 90s. Part of that may be the Big 12 being bad for them, definitely the coaching personnel moves haven't helped.

The Big 12 was screwed when Texas stood in the way of a Big 12 network and Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas St and Iowa St allowed it to happen. Texas fractured the foundation of the conference and the schools that left went for solid ground. I don't blame them one bit.

I do think A&M came of a little sour grapes about it. More jealous that they couldn't pull the same play themselves.

The remaining schools made a move out of fear instead of a fear out of confidence. The conference may have took a short term hit, but we could have positioned ourselves to get Texas in line, raid the ACC, take a run at Notre Dame and possibly Clemson and Florida State.

Unfortunately that ship has sank, the only two teams (that average 40k+ attendance, which is a strong barometer of interest/ following) are BYU and UCF.

I don't forsee any Big 12 expansion. I think the first conference that goes streaming with either Amazon or Netflix will have a leg up on the competition.

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
I can see the day when we outgrow the football conference system, at least as it was designed in the past. In the past conference affiliations provided a base schedule for sports, helped develop rivalries and generated interest during the year as to conference standings and championship. The conference allowed schools to pool resources to support the conference, negotiate media deals etc. to televise and market their teams.

As we go forward schools it will be cheaper and cheaper (and easier) for schools to individually stream games directly to the public. Travel, even across the country, is much easier and quicker so made for tv "dream matchups" can be made and hyped. Conference championships don't mean as much anymore as they do little more than provide seedings for a playoff for the NC. If the playoffs are expanded to 8 teams this will mean conference titles mean even less from a prestige standpoint. Past setting up a base schedule for the year conferences won't mean a whole lot.

Sep 9, 2013
All I know is the Big 12 made out like bandits getting 2 quality teams and losing a lot of baggage.

Getting an east coast footprint helps the finances dramatically, which was why FOX and ESPN both said if you take WVU will pay you the same money even though you have 2 fewer teams.

WVU > any 2 of the teams that left in terms of TV exposure. Texas already has Texas locked up so Aggies were deadweight. Colorado is pitiful, as is nebraska. Mizzou has been up and down-mostly down, but no one cares about their games even when they're decent.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

Wait a minute. You mean FS1 isn’t the big 12 network? Or is it espn plus now?:cool: