1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Anti-abortion groups wants Personhood bill brought to Oklahoma House floor

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by Binman4OSU, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU Cowboy

A group of ministers and anti-abortion advocates are calling today for the Oklahoma House to bring a Personhood vote to the Oklahoma House floor.

Today the House approved a non-binding resolution that grants personhood rights at "all stages of human development"

Kevin Calvey of Oklahomans for Life called the resolution a "cop-out" and says anti-abortion House members plan to force a vote to bring a personhood bill to the floor for consideration. He also said that any procedural vote against such a move will be considered a vote in support of abortion

House Republicans have already privately voted not to consider the personhood bill on the floor.

Oponents of the personhood bill have asked questions such as
    Can you claim a fetus as a dependent on your tax returns
    Can you use the car pool lane if you are pregnant with twins
    Can you force your ex spouse to pay for 18years and 9 months of child support
    Can a person buy beer at 20 years and 3 months of age
  2. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

These questions are nothing more than noise to distract from the bigger issue that can be addressed within the law.
  3. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

I hate this bill so much.
  4. Cimarron

Why? Not saying I'm for or against it as I haven't read it but what makes you hate it?
  5. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

Main reason? There are no provisions in the bill for cases of rape or incest and I don't believe a zygote is a human being.
  6. Cimarron

Depends on your definition of a "human being" which there doesn't seem to be a consistant law, rule or definition addressing this? This law would do exactly that.

In regards to rape and incest you can always make amendments to the bill.

The zygote is most definitly alive and human. Unless you believe it is dead and non-human.
  7. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

And yet it got through the senate and nobody considered that.

A zygote is alive in the same way an amoeba is alive. That does not make it a human being. This bill is also begging for somebody to sue the state over it. Any idea how much that will cost for it to ultimately be shot down by the supreme court?

Missouri passed a similar bill, although there was language in it that said they would defer to the opinions of the court. No such language in this bill.
  8. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

1st Bold: Correct! Amoeba's are indeed alive. Of course, they are unicellular organisms and not human beings.

2nd Bold: Not anymore than it will cost to shoot down ObamaCare. What is constitutionally wrong about defining when human life begins?

A zygote is just part of the process of the birth of (in this case) a child.

Do we say a child is not alive because it is part of the process of being an adult? How about a teenager? How about a fetus?

A zygote is the beginning of life for many living things and in this case...humans.
    As far as rape and incest go...that is something to be considered but that doesn't change the fact of when a human life begins.
    L-Town Poke likes this.
  9. cowboycurt

cowboycurt Wrangler

Birth of a child is when we, as a society, have decided to track "age". I don't see that changing.

However, protection for the unprotected is always important to me and right now there have been millions of human lives being taken away because of abortion. That concerns me.

Just as I feel for rape victims, I feel for the unborn children whose lives are ended prematurely.

As for rape and incest scenarios, I feel that we shouldn't shy away from these problems and situations because of "touchy" subjects like that. I feel like there is a solution out there for "special situations" but that we shouldn't accept so many unnecessary deaths because we don't want to find a solution to the few "special situations" that may occur.
  10. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

I still don't think you get it. Zygotes may develop into human beings. They may fail. A zygote itself is not a human being (although it certainly could be). What happens to a zygote that doesn't implant itself in the uterine wall? I guess that's accidental homicide is it not?

Considered!? Considered!? I know a girl who was raped as a teenager and became pregnant. I guarantee and she has said more than once that she would have killed herself rather than deliver the baby.
  11. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

I wonder if pro-choice folks would go for the idea of safe, legal and truly rare abortions that did away with the concept of convenience and based it solely on the concept of a savings a woman's life / rape / incest. Limiting it to the first trimester for rape/incest.

I also tend to think that it is probably likely that doctor's can be found that would diagnose a hangnail a "health" issue for a woman and thus the need for an abortion.

The pro-choice side harps about women's rights....but it's really about convenience.
  12. steross

A/V Subscriber steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop

13. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Cowboy

So, I guess that means identical twins only count as one person between the two of them, seeing as how they started out as just a single zygote and all.

So, are they just going to split their social security and other tax payments, or how does that work?

I hope they don't make enough combined to pole vault them into an unbearable tax bracket.
  14. steross

A/V Subscriber steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop

Stop, all of these concerns are just noise. Pass the bill because of the bigger issue then we can worry about all the other effects.

-Cimarron, and Pelosi
    zachya likes this.
  15. StillwaterTownie

StillwaterTownie Wrangler

Tell me something? Why is it so much your business what a woman, who you did not impregnate, does with her unborn baby?
  16. StillwaterTownie

No doubt, RX thinks the senator needs to get off the bong, because she also authored the bill that went nowhere to legalize medical marijuana. She even came out of the State Capitol last Wednesday to give a speech to the Almost 4/20 Rally gathered on the south side.
  17. StillwaterTownie

The state house passed personhood but only in resolution form. Rep. Cory Williams of Stillwater was a brave Democrat to speak out against it. He thinks the state should be more concerned about being pro life by helping people with disabilities. However, I would suspect plenty of Republicans would strongly think that it amounts to liberal nonsense to think that it's the state's responsibility to do such a thing.. http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x1521923088/Oklahoma-House-passes-personhood-resolution
  18. MindAflame

A/V Subscriber MindAflame Lurking. Screwed.

Why did you ask this question?
  19. Cimarron

They had every option to consider it, republicans and democrats alike.

An amoeba is an amoeba a human is a human. That's a fact. What constitutes a definition of a "human" isn't up for debate. What defines a "being" is debatable.

So you've already decided it's unconstitutional?
  20. Cimarron

That isn't what I said steross. And you should know better. Please point out where I said the bill should be passed. In fact, I quote..

"Not saying I'm for or against it as I haven't read it"

Care to weigh in why you would suggest I said something I clearly didn't say?