1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Any Backpackers, Hikers, Etc.????

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by xXsUbLimEXx, Apr 23, 2012.

1. xXsUbLimEXx

Banned xXsUbLimEXx Banned

I'm a solo weekend backpacker looking for some AWWEEESOOOOMEE nature to pass the time. I'm open to all state and bordering state ideas, but I'm most interested in any areas say... like... 40 minutes any direction from Stillwater (which should be your specialty). Heck, maybe one you owns 100 acres and want to let me roam it one weekend? We could ever share mellows and hotdogs before I head out into the wild!!!:ban:
  2. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

A 40 minute radius from Stillwater won't get you very much unfortunately. Although if you head down to the Cimarron River (from the I-35 bridge) there are some bolts in some of the cliffs according to a friend of mine so there's some climbing if you're in to that.

The best hiking/backpacking is out in New Mexico and Colorado, but they're a little far for a weekend trip. I assume you've already hit up the Wichita Wildlife Refuge in SW OK, the backpacking down there is really nice, a lot like what you'll find in central NM. There's also some good climbing down in that area although not a sport I'd recommend for a soloist. If you go east just across the border into Arkansas there's also a number of good places.

Whiterock Mountain/Shore's Lake Loop:

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/White Rock.html

It's a 13 mile loop and some really pretty country. I've only been in the summer/spring but I bet it would look absolutely gorgeous in the fall with the changing leaves. It's not overly difficult although the first half is all uphill and the second all downhill (or vice versa if you start at the top). The trail is pretty well marked although they don't have the money to keep it completely maintained so there's always some fallen trees that you'll have to navigate around.

Devil's Den State Park in Arkansas also has a pretty good loop trail. Butterfield Hiking Trail:

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/trails/butterfield-hiking-trail-72/

It's a 15 mile loop and although they list it as strenuous it's not that difficult. My dad, brother, and myself were able to finish it in one day but it can be split into two easily. It was really pretty and similar to most everything else you'll find in that part of the country.

If you're feeling more adventurous you can try to tackle the Ozark Highlands Trail although you'll need a lot more than a weekend to do it. It's 218 miles and the Ozark version of the AT (although not even close to the AT in scale or difficulty).

There's also a wealth of info here:

http://arklahomahiker.org/

on potential destinations in eastern OK/western Arkansas.
    Anaranjado likes this.