Any reason to be concerned? NCAA informs some schools of violations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I mean, we had a guy on staff who plead guilty to bribery charges. So yeah there's a pretty good reason to be concerned.

But man if our basketball program was cheating we are really really bad at it lol.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
From what I have seen and heard Lamont was in business for himself and was not giving cash to recruits/players and their families. But he may have been doing some shady recruiting at SC that I don't know about. I don't think he was here long enough to even recruit anyone of note.

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
So I've only kept up with this sorta high level, but wasn't all of Evans' cheating to benefit himself only? Basically accepted payments to get players to sign with a certain agency? If that's the case, OSU did not benefit in any way and it's quite plausible nobody at OSU knew this was going on - not even Snake Underwood. It this is true, it seems it would be unreasonably unfair for the NCAA to punish the University. So yeah, we're probably going to get hammered.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
So I've only kept up with this sorta high level, but wasn't all of Evans' cheating to benefit himself only? Basically accepted payments to get players to sign with a certain agency? If that's the case, OSU did not benefit in any way and it's quite plausible nobody at OSU knew this was going on - not even Snake Underwood. It this is true, it seems it would be unreasonably unfair for the NCAA to punish the University. So yeah, we're probably going to get hammered.
The NCAA probably hasn't forgotten Andy Oliver, so here come the big guns. They lost all credibility when they gave North Carolina a pass.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Snake Underwood. I see what you did there.

Jul 28, 2006
I can tell you who doesn't need to worry about it. KU. Clearly self knew about it via his own texts, but nothing will happen. OSU will however get some sort of penalty. For those of you who speculate what the NCAA will do based on the actual evidence, you're silly not to recognize the NCAA is sham of an organization who's only role is to protect the haves and oppress the have nots.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
At first I laughed at this, then I agreed with it, then I got sad. Spot on.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
I can tell you who doesn't need to worry about it. KU. Clearly self knew about it via his own texts, but nothing will happen. OSU will however get some sort of penalty. For those of you who speculate what the NCAA will do based on the actual evidence, you're silly not to recognize the NCAA is sham of an organization who's only role is to protect the haves and oppress the have nots.
Right on the money.

pennpoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2012
York, PA
I mean, we had a guy on staff who plead guilty to bribery charges. So yeah there's a pretty good reason to be concerned.

But man if our basketball program was cheating we are really really bad at it lol.
Then again, we’re landing a pretty good recruiting class (two actually) for finishing with such a dismal record. And let’s not forget how close Boynton and Evans were. And then of course we had Underwhelm. His short presence at OSU alone is enough to make me squirm.

I hope this is all irrelevant of course. I think Boynton is a great coach and a class act. But I’ve been around the block enough times as an OSU fan to be able to see some signs and not to be at all comfortable until they reveal the list of schools.

Jun 23, 2005
NCAA said six schools will receive notices of violations and two are high profile. Kansas, Arizona and Louisville were the most prominent high profile programs so my guess is one of them goes free. Although OSU had a coach convicted of a crime, one report I read said the NCAA was focused on schools with eligibility issues. If true, that could mean OSU is not named in the initial round, but more cases could certainly come out in the future. Jeffrey Carroll was initially held out, but later cleared to play. Evans was charged and convicted of putting money in his own pocket, not paying players. But with a convicted felon on staff for a year, was there perhaps a lack of institutional control? Hope not, but if the NCAA tries to address the scandal in a strong fashion, who knows.

Jul 28, 2006
Since Evans was doing this strictly for personal gain, it shouldn't be a penalty, but we will get punished. It's the ncaa's pattern. They will always penalize the institutions with the smallest TV footprint the most.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
The NCAA probably hasn't forgotten Andy Oliver, so here come the big guns. They lost all credibility when they gave North Carolina a pass.

Ah, Andy Oliver. After all of the hubbub and todo with sports agents and what not when he was drafted out of high school he was declared ineligible by the NCAA as we went in to the playoffs. He sued the NCAA (and at one time OSU) and won, then the next year he had a sub-par season pitching for OSU before being drafted again and leaving for the majors. Had a cup of coffee in the Show with Detroit and was sent back down with a +7 ERA after a five starts. I think he made it one more short stint with very similar results and spent the rest of his career in the minors.

You never know......