Any reason to be concerned? NCAA informs some schools of violations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
As fun as it is to indulge in this grudge conspiracy, I imagine we're the only ones that haven't forgotten Andy Oliver.
:facepalm:...maybe Hart Lee Dykes...Oliver wasn't the only one and they've been sucking sooner butt since the 40s. And yes, I still sleep well even with your ignore.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
:facepalm:...maybe Hart Lee Dykes...Oliver wasn't the only one and they've been sucking sooner butt since the 40s. And yes, I still sleep well even with your ignore.
I'm pretty sure OU also got put on probation over Hart Lee. Obviously we were put on double super secret probation because we paid him more.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
:facepalm:...maybe Hart Lee Dykes...Oliver wasn't the only one and they've been sucking sooner butt since the 40s.
I'm pretty sure OU also got put on probation over Hart Lee. Obviously we were put on double super secret probation because we paid him more.
They got a slap on the wrist, we got a near death penalty. We didn't get punished for participating, we got the kick to the crotch for beating cheater u out of great recruit.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The blueprint is out there for taking on the NCAA if found guilty of allegations. Call their bluff and they'll drop it.
Very true. Self investigation is also a big key nowadays.

Enforcement has clearly changed alot over the years. Emmert & the NCAA hammered Penn State pretty hard, & Baylor as well, but those were unique situations, otherwise, the penalties today are fairly light. I believe it's got alot to do with the economic impact of sanctions & how crippling they can be, for years, even decades, for non blueblood programs.

It's going to be interesting to see how far this college BB investigation goes, given that the Feds have subpoena power & the NCAA does not. So the NCAA's getting their hands on alot of information they probably otherwise wouldn't have been able to obtain.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
They got a slap on the wrist, we got a near death penalty. We didn't get punished for participating, we got the kick to the crotch for beating cheater u out of great recruit.
They got hammered just like we did. They got a three year probation with no bowl game for two years, no tv and they lost 14 scholarships. It also led to the firing of Barry Switzer so I wouldn’t call it a slap on the wrist.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
They got hammered just like we did. They got a three year probation with no bowl game for two years, no tv and they lost 14 scholarships. It also led to the firing of Barry Switzer so I wouldn’t call it a slap on the wrist.
People forget that, & Miami, & USC, & that when we played Bama in the Independence Bowl, there were something like 9 of 14 SEC schools on some sort of probation.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Compared to a near death penalty (SMU being the only other school to get one) it is a slap on the wrist. Cheater u recovered very quickly and it was time barry hit the bricks anyway, he was pissin a bunch of fans off. Guess it is up to the viewer, jmo,

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Compared to a near death penalty (SMU being the only other school to get one) it is a slap on the wrist. Cheater u recovered very quickly and it was time barry hit the bricks anyway, he was pissin a bunch of fans off. Guess it is up to the viewer, jmo,
You serious Clark??

They didn't recover until Stoops came in '99. That's a decade.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
You serious Clark??

They didn't recover until Stoops came in '99. That's a decade.
Yes Lois. They didn't recover due to very poor choices in particular their head coaches. They had the money and connections to do much better, they made bad decisions. Gibbs (who actually gave a crap about his players graduating) followed by Schnelly the drunk and then Blake. Who'd a thunk they would smash their own finger with a hammer 3 times in a row. 8 years with 3 head coaches...money poorly spent. Again, just my opinion

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yes Lois. They didn't recover due to very poor choices in particular their head coaches. They had the money and connections to do much better, they made bad decisions. Gibbs (who actually gave a crap about his players graduating) followed by Schnelly the drunk and then Blake. Who'd a thunk they would smash their own finger with a hammer 3 times in a row. 8 years with 3 head coaches...money poorly spent. Again, just my opinion
If they don't lose Switzer...

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Gibbs was the one that had to pay with sanctions. He would have probably been a good head coach at any other time in the program's history. I think if he would have come after schnelly and blake, he would have done what stoops did or close to it.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Gibbs was the one that had to pay with sanctions. He would have probably been a good head coach at any other time in the program's history. I think if he would have come after schnelly and blake, he would have done what stoops did or close to it.
Agree, barry had been cheating for years. As I remember Gibbs was the only coach that voiced any positive opinion about players actually getting an education. That in itself was reason the faithful fans doubted his coaching success...not the only reason but a reason. A huge majority of their fans didn't give a crap if any graduated as long as they won. Nothing much has changed.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Agree, barry had been cheating for years. As I remember Gibbs was the only coach that voiced any positive opinion about players actually getting an education. That in itself was reason the faithful fans doubted his coaching success...not the only reason but a reason. A huge majority of their fans didn't give a crap if any graduated as long as they won. Nothing much has changed.
This is when they had to start caring, a little. Today is the 30th anniversary of Switzer resign at OU.

20190619_115451.jpg