1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Any RV'ers our there?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoshOSU420, Apr 24, 2012.

1. JoshOSU420

A/V Subscriber JoshOSU420 Athletic Supporter

Wife and I were thinking of buying an RV, a class C. It's definitely not a small purchase and was just trying to do my due diligence first. Already learned that they depreciate fast so it is probably best to find a good low mileage used one. I'm kinda spooked about getting a lemon. Seems like I have read Jayco, Winnebago, Fleetwood, are some good quality manufacturer. I although I want to get the best price I can, I also know you get what you pay for, so I would be willing to spend a little more if I knew I was getting good quality in exchange. Anyone have any tips or tricks?
  2. snuffy

Staff A/V Subscriber snuffy Deep Thoughts.

There is a place west of Shawnee, i can get the name tomorrow, that has a large selection of used stuff. Captain quirky might be someone to hit up.

Sent from 40 miles past BFE.
  3. JoshOSU420

You mean CPTNQUIRK :)
    snuffy likes this.
  4. El Gato Bandito

A/V Subscriber El Gato Bandito Ballin' on a Budget

Give me about 20 years and I'll be right there with you. I plan on pissing away any retirement or savings money on a beer fueled RV trip around the country once the kids are gone and I can retire.
  5. JoshOSU420

Well, I'm 36 with a 5yo and and 8yo, so its less for retirement and more for camping and family vacations.
  6. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber CPTNQUIRK A Legend in His Own Mind

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    Find a dealer with a good service department. Things will break sooner or later. There is nothing more frustrating than being broke down and not knowing where or whom to turn. There are plenty of good used Class Cs out there. I have a fifth wheel, so I haven't paid much attention to self propelled units. I'll ask around some of my RV friens and see what they recommend.
  7. JoshOSU420

Thanks, we definitely would like to find a reputable dealer around here. Would be nice to have someone I somewhat trust to work on it.
  8. El Gato Bandito

A/V Subscriber El Gato Bandito Ballin' on a Budget

Still sounds awesome, my mother in law just bought one and told us we could take it out for a weekend sometime if we wanted to. I may have to take her up on it. My little ones are 4 and 7, so I think we are about to start camping trips.
  9. Rush

Rush Cowboy

I own a 28ft Airstream. We go camping about 10 times a year. We would use it more if we didn't live in CO (not a good idea in the winter).

If you're not worried about selling it and not worried about the money and know you will use it, I say go for it.

It might be a good idea to rent a "Class C" a few times to make sure you actually have a good time.

Send me a PM or reply here if you have any questions, as I'd love to help!

Attached Files:

10. CPTNQUIRK

This is a very good idea. There is no reason to spend alot of money, only to find out that no one likes RVing.
  11. OranGE-KK

OranGE-KK Wrangler

I work with several guys who camp, and one owns a class C. He really enjoys his, but wishes every time that he bought a diesel or at least a V10 (His is on a '92 Ford chassis with a 460). He gets around ok, but it struggles up hills and guzzles the gas. Do you know how far away from home you want to try to camp, and how much you are looking to spend on one?
  12. CPTNQUIRK

Another thing that you might want to consider is a fifth wheel (5ver) if you already have a pickup truck. There are some pretty decent ones out there that can be pulled by a half-ton p.u. Don't bother with a bumper-pull, though. I had two of them before I moved up to a fifth wheel. I was on pins and needles going down the highway with the bumper pulls, and I was rigged up the right way.

I have just never understood the sense in paying for a dedicated engine and steering system that may end up with 10 or 20 thousand miles on it before the camping body portion is worn out. For a retired couple that are on the road all the time, I can see where they might be able to justify a Class C or Class A, but not for one that will sit most of the time.
  13. oookstate

oookstate Greenhorn

I second the "rent one a few times" suggestion.

We used to have one. They're fun. We didn't end up using it as much as we expected, though.

Practice driving before the trip.... some of them don't make sharp turns.

Buy used, realize gas can add up, have someone show you how to drain the sewer tank.

Think about what you really want/need. Do you really want a shower? Bathroom (it's a plus)? Full kitchen? Extendable sides? TV? Whatever? I would get a mini bathroom with small stall shower, small kitchenette, no extendable sides, and one that has a bedroom, fold out couch, and kitchen table. That's what we had, and it worked well for a decent number of people. We didn't live near enough to cool camping places to use it often.

Like cars, RVs decrease quite a bit in value... I just buy reasonably priced and factor in loss of value as an entertainment expense.

See if your neighborhood allows RVs to be parked in it. I've lived in places that didn't, and had to rent a parking spot elsewhere.
    zachya likes this.