1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Athiest Christmas billboard drwaing fire in NY/NJ

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by Binman4OSU, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

So you post garbage you can't back up? Now the only statistics you have with a valid reference I gave you. And your laughing at me? That's a jewel.

2. panhandler62

panhandler62 Territorial Marshal

People who are actively persuing being better Christians are, by natural outcomes, also persuing being better people.

People who are persuing being better people (whether as a natural outcome of persuing being better Christians or by some other means) tend to end up in prison less than those having little or no interest in improving thier ethical and moral behaviors.

Asking inmates to self identify tells you, at most, what they think of themselves. It provides little, if any, insight into the value of adhearing to the system of beliefs that they claim in this self examination.

3. RoVerto Solo

RoVerto Solo Banned Banned

How many people are in prison who commit crimes thinking in advance that they can run to a priest and be absolved of their crimes? How many people commit crimes thinking whatever they do has all ready be forgiven by God?

I believe those are the ones that will have a period of accountability before God before they are forgiven, assuming they will be forgiven.

4. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

I'm not sure who does that? If they do they can't be real intelligent.

5. panhandler62

Aileen Wuornos comes to mind, but if we start relying on serial killers for data we're going to get into some really wierd places pretty fast. :p

6. Birry

Birry Territorial Marshal

Agreed.

7. bleedinorange

bleedinorange Territorial Marshal

In all of creation, only human beings, are made "in God's image". This is a great privilege and gives us dignity. We don't know all this phrase covers, but we do know some of the aspects it include: Like God, we are spiritual beings—our spirits are immortal and will outlast our earthly bodies; we are intellectual—we can think, reason, and solve problems; like God, we are relational—we can give and receive real love; and we have a moral consciousness—we can discern right from wrong, which makes us accountable to God.

Very possibly I take free will too far. I find myself with little sympathy for the soul of the atheist who campaigns against Christianity. Along with most Christians, I will not be influenced by their antics and I find it unlikely that these antics will be stronger than the Holy Spirit when it convicts the heart of the non-believer.

8. RoVerto Solo

RoVerto Solo Banned Banned

Some would want us to believe that we have no other purpose on this earth other than just being on this earth. We are not ants who live only for the collective and whose life ends period when we step on them. Life for mankind does not end with life on earth. There is more. God has given us all the signs and reason to believe that there is more.

9. Birry

While I agree with your statement wholeheartedly, I would imagine that the statement means very little when discussing the idea of God with an atheist. I think reason can lead someone to God (C.S. Lewis is one who logically concluded that God did exist after all), but it is not reason alone that will lead someone to that conclusion IMO. I think its also an openness of mind, emotion, and Spirit (which atheists may not believe in - I'm not sure).

A willingness to discover God is probably just as important as the logical steps to get there in the first place. Nobody can disprove God's existence, so it seems more wise to admit that He is, in fact, a possibility. Many scientists and atheists nullify their research by disregarding the possibility of a creator - a terrible error in scientific method.

10. steross

steross OSU fan in need of hyper loop A/V Subscriber

Can you show me an example of science that does this?

11. panhandler62

I'm sure that some scientists do that in their personal estimations of things but it is no part of the scientific method.

12. Birry

The Big Bang Theory

13. panhandler62

Big Bang cosmology makes no comment on God, inclusively or exclusively.

14. Birry

Well, maybe there isn't an example and I'm just making assumptions. The main point I was trying to make in the other post was to say that most atheists wouldn't care one bit about a statement that absolutely says that God is real without something to back it up - some type of evidence or proof of His existence. The second paragraph was more opinionated based on my personal experience with professors and friends at OSU who mocked creationism simply because they didn't have proof (yet). Most of them weren't even open to the idea of God.