Athlon rates Big XII coaches

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Don't have an issue with this. The top 3 have all proven something and taken their programs to new heights. The next 3 have potential but haven't yet accomplished much in their roles. The bottom 4 are just average HCs.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Don't have an issue with this. The top 3 have all proven something and taken their programs to new heights. The next 3 have potential but haven't yet accomplished much in their roles. The bottom 4 are just average HCs.
The middle 3 haven’t accomplished much? I’d say Riley as a first year coach winning the Big 12 is accomplishing quite a bit. And for that matter, Campbell at ISU has proven in his second year he can do things Gundy struggles at which is beating the top 2 dogs in the conference with way lesser talent. Campbell is one hellova coach. Herman...that I can agree with in not so much in his current role.

Bottom line is that this league coaching prowess is not near what it used to be now that Briles and Stoops are gone. However, Riley has already proven he owns Gundy....I meant that he is the real deal. Snyder is a very good coach, too. I’d say the bottom 3 are better at being coordinators.

I’d say putting Gundy ahead of Riley is unjustified given the short sample on Riley. One could argue Snyder is above Gundy as well. Patterson and Gundy are about equal IMO.

It’s probably just me, but I’d take Campbell over Gundy in a heart beat.

Aug 16, 2012
UT, doing less with more. Coach should be holding down the 10 spot.
completely agree. All those blue-chippers, all that money, all the facilities, the two--year success at Houston and they are trying to convince us that 7-6 was some sort of an accomplishment. Bottom of the list.

Aug 16, 2012
The middle 3 haven’t accomplished much? I’d say Riley as a first year coach winning the Big 12 is accomplishing quite a bit. And for that matter, Campbell at ISU has proven in his second year he can do things Gundy struggles at which is beating the top 2 dogs in the conference with way lesser talent. Campbell is one hellova coach. Herman...that I can agree with in not so much in his current role.

Bottom line is that this league coaching prowess is not near what it used to be now that Briles and Stoops are gone. However, Riley has already proven he owns Gundy....I meant that he is the real deal. Snyder is a very good coach, too. I’d say the bottom 3 are better at being coordinators.

I’d say putting Gundy ahead of Riley is unjustified given the short sample on Riley. One could argue Snyder is above Gundy as well. Patterson and Gundy are about equal IMO.

I am becoming more and more convinced Gundy stole your girlfriend or lunch money when you were a kid.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

Re: Riley - One good year with another coach's team and a star QB doesn't vault him to the top of the pack for coaching. Sorry, but I'm not buying the hype just yet. Talk to me in 3-5 years when he's maintained that level.

As for Campbell, if he can't beat Gundy, how is he better than him? He's compiled an 11-14 record with a couple of upsets. You cannot be serious.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Re: Riley - One good year with another coach's team and a star QB doesn't vault him to the top of the pack for coaching. Sorry, but I'm not buying the hype just yet. Talk to me in 3-5 years when he's maintained that level.

As for Campbell, if he can't beat Gundy, how is he better than him? He's compiled an 11-14 record with a couple of upsets. You cannot be serious.
Greek is a troll............. ignore the trolls

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

This is just stupid...seriously dude...we beat ISU on the road last year and Gundy hasn't lost to Campbell..at all. Yeah he's a good coach but he also hasn't had much time to prove it...As far as Riley, one game equals "ownership" to you? Sir you are a hating moron in terms of your opinions on Gundy...Sad really.

Mar 31, 2011

I reacted to your post with a ribbon. Congratulations, you won the ribbon for trying too hard.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas

We were very lucky to hang on and win that game.....with 5x the talent and I believe their 3rd string QB. I’m not necessarily saying Campbell is better. I just think he puts his players in the best scenario to win under the circumstances. He did beat TCU and OU. Both of which Gundy couldn’t do with arguably our best team under his reign. You won’t see Campbell folding up and going in to the feeble position like we have way too often. Give Campbell out team last year and we win the Big 12 easy.

As far as Riley. I can agree with that. But to say he hasn’t accomplished anything is ridiculous.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

Riley and Patterson ahead of Gundy ok but Campbell please. Iowa State lost to OSU and went 7-5 in their best year almost ever. Gundy beat Iowa State. Iowa State will lose alot this year. Maybe 6-6 I say.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Riley and Patterson ahead of Gundy ok but Campbell please. Iowa State lost to OSU and went 7-5 in their best year almost ever. Gundy beat Iowa State. Iowa State will lose alot this year. Maybe 6-6 I say.
I didnt say he was better....although it is implied. What I said was that I would take Campbell over him. And given equal teams, Campbell would win more than lose heads up IMO. He’s just better at gameplanning and motivating while coaching on the sidelines. It’s like night and day.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX

Briles? lmao

Dude was cheating even in his high school days. Go swing from someone else's nuts.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Coming from the likes of you....well that basically means from nobody, so never mind. No need to waste more time on your sorry a....
Coming from the likes of you....well that basically means from nobody, so never mind. No need to waste more time on your sorry a....
you say Campbell is a better coach that HCMG after 1 year............... you're a troll, you need attention.......... it's not hard to figure out