Attention trump rats.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Attention trump rats with any knowledge or expertise in economics: can you explain what trump is talking about when he repeatedly insists that China will pay for the tariffs?
He's just pissed because of the whole Pearl Harbor thing.

Japanese, Chinese... whatever.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Even though your thread title indicates you aren't really interested in a serious discussion, I'll take a stab at it.
He could mean that since we import about 5 times more from China than they from us, we will make more than enough on the tariffs to help prop up any industry that is being hurt in this country by China's tariffs.

Then again, it could just be his normal bluster that you liberals who obsess over his every word should be more than used to by now.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't know that I qualify as a Trump rat, but the Democrats, and late night "comedians", made me one last election. It sounds like they may be trying to do it again this time.

Q: What did Trump not make "great again" but made much worse?

A: Comedians. Remember when comedians tried to be funny and not angry ranting ideologues?

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Attention trump rats with any knowledge or expertise in economics: can you explain what trump is talking about when he repeatedly insists that China will pay for the tariffs?
With the interest on our debt. Basically Trump will be getting a zero interest loan from China.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Its pretty obvious why he is using tariffs. China thought he was bluffing and took a chance on that. Little did they know that Trump means what he says. Tariffs harm China so much more than they harm us. The only thing that China targeted was agriculture essentially which we can subsidize until china becomes a more willing partner. People who think trump desires and wants tariffs hasn't been paying attention. He wants true free trade with a compliant and lawful trade partner. I mean c'mon if what we have been doing worked we wouldn't be here. Might as well try another route that we actually have leverage on to get China to change.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Its pretty obvious why he is using tariffs. China thought he was bluffing and took a chance on that. Little did they know that Trump means what he says. Tariffs harm China so much more than they harm us. The only thing that China targeted was agriculture essentially which we can subsidize until china becomes a more willing partner. People who think trump desires and wants tariffs hasn't been paying attention. He wants true free trade with a compliant and lawful trade partner. I mean c'mon if what we have been doing worked we wouldn't be here. Might as well try another route that we actually have leverage on to get China to change.
Then they damn well better start getting their subsidizing clothes on because its fixing to get pretty western in the corn and bean belt. Wheat farmers are used to not making money, we only bitch to each other.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I was against the tariffs from the start but now that they are i place, I think we have to get behind them. If we cave first, we'll be subject to China's whims on trade for the rest of our lives. Now that it's started, we need them to realize they need our markets more than we need theirs, and we need to hold out for a fair trade deal for America.

I imagine at this point that China will bide it's time until the 2020 elections knowing that if the Dems win (or the GOP pulls off a coup), then whoever sits in the White House will cave immediately. The Dems will run on this and tell us how much it's hurting the poor and minorities. Ironic since this is just another form of tax and the Dems have shown they love taxes when they do it.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think the tariffs are a smoke screen for the war he's trying to start with Iran. Nothing better for reelection than a good war.
History somewhat supports that, but I don't think a preemptive war is good for re-election and Trump would have to do a good job of selling the public on the need for another war.

There are fewer voters around who think of war in WW 2 terms of us kicking ***, fixing the world and coming home to a parade and more young voters who view war as just another old politician trying to clack his coconuts together and feed the military industrial complex at the expense of young kids lives.