Bama vs OU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Well...yeah. Saban is arguably the best coach college football has ever seen.
Maybe, but he took over a program who claimed 12 national championships, 25 conference championships prior to his arrival and a football stadium that holds 102 thousand fans filled every home game. You can't deny his success but there are probably other coaches who also could have been grossly successful taking over that kind of beast.
Obviously Alabama has built in advantages, but it's not like they were clicking on all cylinders when he took over.

That said, I happen to think coaches like Bill Snyder are just as, if not more, impressive than those in charge of the handful of blue bloods. Not everyone would agree with me though since many tend to look at championships as the end all, be all measuring stick. Hence the 'arguably'.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Well, I'd really love to see our coach as involved and fired up to win as much as Saban. He doesn't suffer lapses of concentration and he expects to win.
Can you image if Saban asked one of his assistant coaches a question about their team's performance and that assistant said, "I don't know what happened. It's the darndest thing."?
That coach would be instructed to look for a job at FIU or some directional school in Louisiana before the day was out.
Our coach doesn’t care. He has half the game to drink vodka smoothies. If we played bama, it would have been a colossal ass whipping of epic proportions.
Hot take of the year.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Had to laugh at the article in the DOK: "Sooners Took Too Long to Show They Belonged in Semi Final".

Ah, no. They did not ever show they belonged in that game. I truly think Bama could have scored half again as many points had they wanted to. That article was written by a true Sooner fan wearing crimson shaded glasses.....

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Well...yeah. Saban is arguably the best coach college football has ever seen.
Would Saban be "Saban" if he were still, say, at LSU or Michigan State? Alabama has advantages that other places do not have. Could Bear Bryant have been Bear Bryant had he stayed at A&M?
At LSU, probably. At Michigan State, probably not. Impossible to know though.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Where's that Gooner that always trolls through here when things are going well for his Goons? You know, TypicalGooner -- that a**hole!
I don't suspect he'll not have the cajones (most of them are cowards that wait until it's safe to come out of their closets) to show up and gloat about like he normally does.

That was simply an arsekicking of the overrated swooners. It was obvious from the start that ou was outclassed by Bama.
It was boys playing men last night.

I suspect we won't be hearing a lot of trash talk from our step-brothers down south. They'll be too busy licking wounds and penning new excuses.

Although I was slightly, ever so slightly pulling for the Big 12 in that game, it was apparent our redheaded, stepbrother with bad grades was too weak to even stay close in the first quarter. Oh, well. Bad year for the Big 12 and our "best" was a pretender to the throne.
At least that'll shut them up around the water cooler, because it was embarrassing as Notre Dame's smackdown at the hands of Clemson -- the only other team worthy of being in the CFP.

This is a two horse race only.

Notre Dame and ou can go back to consoling each other with tales of how great they used to be.....back in the day.......when you could pay the best players to play for you and no one said a damn thing about it.
Here I am!

Oklahoma put up more points and more yards than any team has all year. Got off to a terrible start.

You know who’s shocked that their defense couldn’t get Bama off the field so the offense could catch back up? No one.

12 wins. Four straight conference championships. Third playoff appearance. Second consecutive Heisman trophy. I’ll take it. Oklahoma’s program is heading in the right direction and they’ll be looking for a defensive coordinator that can make those stops. The offense is only gonna get better.

You don’t have a leg to stand on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2008
Here I am!

Oklahoma put up more points and more yards than any team has all year. Got off to a terrible start.

You know who’s shocked that their defense couldn’t get Bama off the field so the offense could catch back up? No one.

12 wins. Four straight conference championships. Third playoff appearance. Second consecutive Heisman trophy. I’ll take it. Oklahoma’s program is heading in the right direction and they’ll be looking for a defensive coordinator that can make those stops. The offense is only gonna get better.

To summarize - OU is the best of everyone else which means they will win conference championships and then get beat convincingly by the top tier programs.

Don't get me wrong - I wish OSU was on that level. But it's going to take more than a defensive coordinator to put OU in Alabama, Clemson and Georgia's company.

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
Here I am!

Alabama could have named the score on you guys. All they had to do was keep passing to whoever your #11 was covering. Instead they ran the ball on several second half drives to run clock and get out of there. When your offense made it a game what did Bama do??? Threw the ball to whatever receiver your #11 was covering and scored three plays later. Congrats on a good year.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Here I am!

To summarize - OU is the best of everyone else which means they will win conference championships and then get beat convincingly by the top tier programs.

Don't get me wrong - I wish OSU was on that level. But it's going to take more than a defensive coordinator to put OU in Alabama, Clemson and Georgia's company.
Oklahoma easily in the top 3 - 5 programs in the nation. Lost to Georgia in double overtime and by 11 points to Bama after being down 28-0.

They’re a decent defense away from a national championship. The offense isn’t falling off any time soon. And I see no one other than an ineptly led Texas team contending for the Big 12 next year.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Here I am!

Alabama could have named the score on you guys. All they had to do was keep passing to whoever your #11 was covering. Instead they ran the ball on several second half drives to run clock and get out of there. When your offense made it a game what did Bama do??? Threw the ball to whatever receiver your #11 was covering and scored three plays later. Congrats on a good year.
Bama scored 45. The only time they stopped themselves from scoring was that last drive in a victory formation. Saban has always been about finishing the game on the ground. That RPO slant has been their bread and butter all year.

I see no shame at all in losing to Bama in a playoff. Everyone knew defense was a liability going into it. It was all year long. The fact you can win 12 games with a leaking sieve of a defense is extraordinary. Riley is about to sign a big extension and he’s scouting for a top flight defensive coordinator right now. If he fields a Top 60 defense, he can handily win as many national titles as he wants. He can put up points against anybody.