Baseball vs gcu

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
The result wasn’t anything the coaching staff or fans wanted, but this team has a lot of new pieces. Rob was able to pitch several freshman who are going to be very good soon. Polcovich and Thompson looked good and Trendle had 3 hits today. Freshman Blake Robertson had a nice AB late. I didn’t like the result but I did Like the new talent.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I hear y'all, but it doesn't excuse the woeful offensive production this weekend. We have to many veterans and added some really good pieces to that. The pitching I can semi understand but not agree with the order we went with but we should be hammering Sunday starters and a bullpen. I'm sure it will come around our should I say I hope it comes around but this is disappointing coming out of a hyped fall. I'm sure they'll be fine but I hope this series doesn't blacken our rpi later on.

It’s the first series of the season, you know more about baseball than to start harping about the offense already. But, I kind of know why you’re harping on the offense and but giving the pitching a bit of a pass.... lol.

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
I by no means think we should fire anyone.I am however very impressed with Chris Young and Kenny G.They get the best out of their programs while not being the most important or popular programs on campus.I have listened to their interviews and they could sell ice to eskimos! Very blessed to have them at OSU.I will say that when O'brate opens all excuses for winning at a high level will be out the window.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
I by no means think we should fire anyone.I am however very impressed with Chris Young and Kenny G.They get the best out of their programs while not being the most important or popular programs on campus.I have listened to their interviews and they could sell ice to eskimos! Very blessed to have them at OSU.I will say that when O'brate opens all excuses for winning at a high level will be out the window.

We haven’t been winning at a high level? I mean, I know everyone wants more trips to Omaha, and I get that. But goodness, we’ve been pretty good overall from 2014 to present.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
It’s the first series of the season, you know more about baseball than to start harping about the offense already. But, I kind of know why you’re harping on the offense and but giving the pitching a bit of a pass.... lol.
I'm probably more critical of pitching than any other aspect of the program. You don't quite have me figured out if you think i ever turn a blind eye to that. We just threw a bunch of inexperienced young pitchers this weekend and needed a mature offense to come through. We all know how the coaches like to tinker to start the season but maybe the goal of the first weekend should be setting a tone for the younger players to follow, then experiment. There's definatly some talented freshmen but they need to learn to let the game come to them, slow it down at this level. We need the older pitchers to take the lead and be rocks for this staff. They have to realize their performances and leadership are the only way this team will have success this season. We need the sophomores to take a big step forward and will need the talented freshmen to learn what it takes to compete at this level. Past accolades mean diddly, all that matters is your next pitch. I won't criticize the freshmen because they haven't had the chance to realize their high school game won't play at this level. They'll hopefully adjust quickly and there was some flashes of extreme talent.

But this opening weekend, since it was determined to throw the freshmen pitchers in the fire, like it or not became about the veteran offense. There were some bright spots but overall performance was lacking. Swing and miss I guess. Lol

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
I'm probably more critical of pitching than any other aspect of the program. You don't quite have me figured out if you think i ever turn a blind eye to that. We just threw a bunch of inexperienced young pitchers this weekend and needed a mature offense to come through. We all know how the coaches like to tinker to start the season but maybe the goal of the first weekend should be setting a tone for the younger players to follow, then experiment. There's definatly some talented freshmen but they need to learn to let the game come to them, slow it down at this level. We need the older pitchers to take the lead and be rocks for this staff. They have to realize their performances and leadership are the only way this team will have success this season. We need the sophomores to take a big step forward and will need the talented freshmen to learn what it takes to compete at this level. Past accolades mean diddly, all that matters is your next pitch. I won't criticize the freshmen because they haven't had the chance to realize their high school game won't play at this level. They'll hopefully adjust quickly and there was some flashes of extreme talent.

But this opening weekend, since it was determined to throw the freshmen pitchers in the fire, like it or not became about the veteran offense. There were some bright spots but overall performance was lacking. Swing and miss I guess. Lol

I can agree with literally all of that. But you’re totally misreading me too. Imo we don’t have a mature offense yet. Pitching is always ahead of hitting this time of year. To begin to worry about the offense this early is extremely premature imo. Like I said, nothing about this weekend surprised me at all. And, I’m not in the “hope they figure it out” category. I think that’s silly three games in. I have a lot of confidence they will figure it out. It just might take some time. Again, there’s a lot of new faces here who haven’t faced D1 pitching. Early struggles shouldn’t surprise, or even disappoint, anyone three games in.

(This is not directed at you) Anyway, to be honest, I probably shouldn’t even post over here until April of every year. Every February and March it’s the same old stuff here. We underperform (again, not defending it, because it IS frustrating), and every year people get pissed, and criticize criticize criticize. Then in April we’re usually in the hunt for the Big 12 title, and in the hunt for hosting a regional, and making it to the Big 12 Tournament title game and so on and so forth.

I wish people would have the same expectations for our basketball program.....

Feb 18, 2009
We haven's started well for a while.

2020 - Lost 2-1 to GCU by a combined 23-12
2019 - won series 2-1 against UT Rio Grande - actually outscored 6-5 in the last two games
2018 won series 2-1 with a one run squeaker against powerhouse Texas state. They actually outscored us 17-13 on the weekend.
2017 lost series to GCU by a combined 15-7
2016 - split games 2-2 against UT Arlington and SFA, then went 0-3 in Chapel Hill
2015 - started 1-2 against Arizona state, then lost the next one to Oregon state for a 1-4 start

Some of these teams turned out okay, lots of baseball left. Not the start anyone wanted but definitely not a shock. We're not going to win many games with 3 runs on the board so offense has its share of blame as do pitching and defense.

Feb 18, 2009
Then in April we’re usually in the hunt for the Big 12 title, and in the hunt for hosting a regional, and making it to the Big 12 Tournament title game and so on and so forth.

I wish people would have the same expectations for our basketball program.....
My only real frustration with the part above is our slow starts make the conversations in April relevant. If we didn't start as slow as we do, it would be a lock for regionals and most likely Super's. Instead we sit on the fence and people say "well you know they lost GCU back in Feb and didn't look good at all." It's crap but it happens.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
My only real frustration with the part above is our slow starts make the conversations in April relevant. If we didn't start as slow as we do, it would be a lock for regionals and most likely Super's. Instead we sit on the fence and people say "well you know they lost GCU back in Feb and didn't look good at all." It's crap but it happens.

I agree. And I think that’s something that needs to be improved now that we should have better recruiting going forward due to improving facilities.