Basketball vs Charlotte

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 27, 2006
Six minute scoring drought evaporated 15 point lead before getting lid removed and losing by two. Lots of young new pieces, missing a few expected contributors, to early yet to panic but it may be a long tough season.

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
Those of you that said you weren't watching the football game and watching basketball instead...

What happened??? Last I looked we were up by 24 and then noticed we lost...:(
It didn’t help that we didn’t score a FG the final 7:30 of the game. Add to that, our bigs were soft offensively. As hot as the offense was in the first half, they were just as cold in the second. I’m sure the team missed the two guards that were unable to play. The flagrant call at the end was a bad call. Gave them two free throws and the ball down three with 7 seconds left.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
It's the truth. I love Mike Boynton, but c'mon man, he didn't do a great job of mitigating the team going cold in the second half.
What the hell is he suppose to do? His bench consists of freshmen who were experiencing their first college game. This is the result we will be experiencing throughout December until we get Weathers, Cunningham and Jones on the court.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
What the hell is he suppose to do? His bench consists of freshmen who were experiencing their first college game. This is the result we will be experiencing throughout December until we get Weathers, Cunningham and Jones on the court.
That's an awful excuse. This is a historically bad loss. They had a 15 game losing streak last year, in a crap conference. They already lost to Chattanooga by double digits this year. Maybe Boynton turns it around, but that is probably the worst loss since before Eddie. If your freshman can't win this, you're in trouble. This season looks rough.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
It's not an excuse. This is our reality for the foreseeable future. Seven guys are gone from last years team. I was responding to TwinBlast and what HCMB was suppose to do to stop the bleeding from blowing this lead. At the moment if you pull a freshman he will have to be replaced by another freshman. This is gonna take some time to turn around. Focus on the wrestling team your stress level with be much lower.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It's not an excuse. This is our reality for the foreseeable future. Seven guys are gone from last years team. I was responding to TwinBlast and what HCMB was suppose to do to stop the bleeding from blowing this lead. At the moment if you pull a freshman he will have to be replaced by another freshman. This is gonna take some time to turn around. Focus on the wrestling team your stress level with be much lower.
Yes, play another freshman. They should be able to beat a team that won 6 games last season while only playing 1 power 5 team (that was in an 18-point loss to us). Charlotte is maybe the worst team we play all year. Only A&M Corpus Cristi is competitive for that title and they at least won 11 last season.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That's an awful excuse. This is a historically bad loss. They had a 15 game losing streak last year, in a crap conference. They already lost to Chattanooga by double digits this year. Maybe Boynton turns it around, but that is probably the worst loss since before Eddie. If your freshman can't win this, you're in trouble. This season looks rough.
Worst loss? I seem to remember some Travis Ford losses that were pretty bad.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Worst loss? I seem to remember some Travis Ford losses that were pretty bad.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk
Name them and let's debate. George Mason the year TF got fired? Even that team wasn't this bad. They won more games in a better conference. They went on to beat Ole Miss, Davidson, and Richmond.

Edit: The year before we lost to them, George Mason finished the season with a 225 rpi and 203 the season we lost to them. Charlotte finished nearly 100 points lower last year at 321. That requires a massive rpi climb for this to not be worse than that.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2008
Yeah this is a bad loss no other way to get around it. I knew we shouldn't have been throwing stones at WVU for losing to Buffalo. Karma I guess lol...

It's weird when I was reading the preview for this game, what jumped out at me the most was Charlotte had a player drop 31 points in their first game that was a loss. I was like dang, 31 points is impressive for a player to put up. Cut to last night and sure enough the same guy drops 27 against us and makes the game winning 3-pointer. But yeah, bad loss, I hope we learn from it and get better. This season is going to have its ups and downs for sure.

Jun 14, 2011
A foul on purpose at the end of the game was called an intentional foul, which rarely happens.
I hate to admit this since its pouring tabasco in my own eyes considering the outcome yesterday, but I have always thought that should be an intentional foul. You bear hug someone and don't really go for the ball? That's intentional at any other point in the game per the rules, why not the end too? HOWEVER, it is never called that way and as a result, very fair to assume it wouldn't be in this case as well and right to complain about as such. And of course it would happen to us.

NCCAB consistently has some of the most inconsistent officials, and its maddening...

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
So coach, what would you have done with the personnel that Coach Boynton had today?
Honestly, without having had a chance to watch any footage from the second half, and *assuming* they put more pressure on our perimeter guys to prevent a continued three-pointer barrage, I'd put in a taller lineup and have the team focus on driving the ball to the lane more, and also dumping down to the big guys. Not allow any shots outside of 15 feet, things like that.

Sep 23, 2010
The intentional foul call at the end was ridiculous. But it felt like something was going to go wrong at the end of the game. We need Weathers and Cunningham to be playing right now.