1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Best Steak Marinade

Discussion in 'Tailgating, Cooking, Intoxicology' started by kevpokes, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Jonkr06

Jonkr06 Cowboy

Exactly. Marinades are cheap, simple to do, and can make a mediocre cut of meat taste very good.
  2. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

This, and you grillmasters can brag all you want but we've all been had by bad steaks in disguise, then we were all, "this would have been good if I'd marinated it.":D
  3. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gem├╝tlichkeit

I grill my steaks based off of Micky Mantels's cold smoked recipe.

Cold smoke at 100* for one hour. rub steak with kosher salt, course black pepper and just a bit of cayenne pepper. Grill should be scorching hot. Sear on both sides until Med Rare. Anything more is waisting meat because you loose the perfect texture.

The seared smoked outside will provide a more dense texture and the cayenne magnifies the smoke. Everything else between is pure beef so you get the natural taste of wondrous beef.

If you didn't have time or means to smoke, a few drops of liquid smoke before the rub is a good substitution.
  4. carebearscare

Banned carebearscare Banned

Here is one of the marinades I use for sirloin:

sesame oil
    low sodium soy sauce
    grated ginger (only the fresh kind)

I don't cook fillets or porterhouses at home, but if I did, I wouldn't use a marinade.
  5. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Deputy

I suppose you have a point. But I guess I like even some of the cheaper cuts. My usual is top sirloin, and I don't marinate that. I spring for the NY Strip or ribeye (my fav) when they are on sale.
  6. Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber Donnyboy RELAX

Steaks aren't meant to be marinaded.
  7. Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber Donnyboy RELAX

That being said....

I have cooked the "Drunken Steak" recipe out of Bar-B-Que USA. It's a thick sliced whole sirlion (should be around 2.5 pounds) marinaded in....

Soy sauce
    Dark sesame oil
    Bourbon
    Fresh sliced ginger
    Chopped garlic

Then sliced and served like brisket. Its really good but I would never marinade a steak in the true since.
  8. Poke2000

Poke2000 Cowboy

I use that exact stuff on/in virtually all chicken dishes that I fix. Lately, I've just been using salt and pepper for steak, but Head Country makes a darn tasty marinade that I like to use. When it's not available, I use a mixture very similar to what kevpokes mentioned. I'm not a meat-snob. If it has good flavor and texture, it's good in my book. There's something to be said for the natural flavor of beef, but I have nothing against experimenting.

On a somewhat-related note, I grew up eating this stuff on hamburgers, and I have yet to find a better burger seasoning. Excellent on pork, too.
    [​IMG]
  9. carebearscare

Banned carebearscare Banned

MMMM.... Greek seasoning on fried potatoes is hot diggity!
  10. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

this
  11. jac1599

jac1599 Cowboy

[​IMG]

The perfect rub. Contains natural meat tenderizers and incredible flavor, really makes just about any steak (even wal-mart's) taste amazing.

If you have the time, rub it on and cover the steaks and let 'em sit for a couple hours. You won't be disappointed.
  12. FWPoke

A/V Subscriber FWPoke An OP OG in the DFDub

OK, which one of you guys is going to come over here and clean the drool out of my keyboard?:p
  13. SlingBlade

Staff A/V Subscriber SlingBlade I Like Them French Fried Taters

Greek seasoning on eggs!!!!
    [​IMG]
  14. cactusjack

cactusjack Deputy

I tend to agree with this statement. Though I have marinated steaks with great success of course.....but if you made me say what is my favorite way to grill a great steak, it would be course black pepper and sea salt.

Maybe finish it at the end with a pat of homemade garlic butter to melt over it. Very medium rare!

I put cavender's on my vegi's that I grill, and lots of other stuff too.
    I like Head Countrys rub as well.
    A local guy makes a great seasoning, called Stanfields secret seasoning. You can get it at Crest. He owned the Late Show in Stillwater for years, and his son played baseball at OSU. Its awesome stuff.

I also like Dales, and lime based soy mixtures too.
  15. limiman

limiman Greenhorn

Marinades are usually used to tenderize meat, if you know how and where to pick out a good steak you shouldnt need a marinade. If you like the taste of the marinade, why not just buy a cheap cut. I cant imagine someone using a marinade on a fillet,ribeye,etc...
  16. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Here is one for everyone. Have you had a steak cooked on a rock? Basically the stone is laid on your table as your plate and you cook the steak yourself as you eat it.

I had one in Australia, check this out.

http://www.stonegrill.com/system.html

There are some available in the US as well but I think they go through the Australian company.

http://www.steakstones.com/default.php?id=65

This is a fantastic way to eat a steak......
  17. Cimarron

18. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Deputy

Yes, while camping. Put the rock in the coals, works very well.
  19. Chris H.

Staff Chris H. Systems Administrator

I have not, but I find it fascinating, just haven't managed to try it.
  20. Cimarron

I had one in Australia. They heat the rock to something like 400 degrees celsius and then put that in a stainless steel tray with a salad. They put a very thick fillet on the rock raw with a little salt and seasoning on the rock. You simply cut a piece bite size flip it about twice (quickly) and eat it. It will cook as fast as you can cut and eat. It was fantastic.