Big 12 media days

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mike Gundy says Taylor Cornelius is 'our guy' at QB (and other takeaways from his Big 12 Media Day news conference)

Excerpt:

Oklahoma State's starting quarterback job is Taylor Cornelius' to lose.

"When we came out of spring we felt very comfortable with Taylor," Gundy said, "and certainly, going into August, he's our guy."

The statement was a breath of fresh air at Big 12 Media Days, where most coaches have played their quarterback races closer to the vest. It was sort of expected Gundy would do the same Tuesday, as Cornelius, a fifth-year senior, competes with two newcomers to take the first snap Aug. 30 against Missouri State.

But with four-star freshman Spencer Sanders still new to campus this summer, and graduate transfer Dru Brown not yet in Stillwater, Gundy seems content to roll with the player he has gotten to know for four seasons.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Anyone know if the Big 12 is gonna put Gundy's media day press conference up on YouTube like all the others? I figured it would already be there since Gundy went first today.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mike Gundy commands attention on Day 2 of Big 12 Media Days

Excerpt:

Lincoln Riley won’t commit to Kyler Murray, Tom Herman to Sam Ehlinger or Gary Patterson to Shawn Robinson. Bill Snyder hasn’t decided between Alex Delton or Skylar Thompson, Kliff Kingsbury between McLane Carter, Jeff Duffey or Alan Bowman.

Baker Mayfield’s departure from the Big 12 clouded the entire quarterback prism of this conference, apparently.

Good on Mike Gundy for clearing that up a little.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
serious question. do you actually work for the Tulsa World? and if so, is your only job to chat on message boards and post links?
He's here for one purpose. To get clicks for his employer's website.

Not sure I understand why he's allowed to post their stuff all over this message board. We all have internet access. If we wanted to see everything OSU related on their website everyday then we would just visit the site.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Yes, I am a Tulsa World employee. Part of my job is to connect our content with readers, including on message boards. If it seems like I have been here a lot lately, it is because of Big 12 media days.
Can you get me a beer? It would be a great way to connect.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
If that is Justice's dream school, why should my opinion hinder him from going there? However, since he was recruited by them out of HS but committed to us early because he got to achieve his dream, I doubt that happens.

Now I would have the caveat that players have to declare they are transferring before being recruited. Which is different from how coaches are treated. Imagine if Gundy had to quit his OSU job before playing footsie with Tennessee. Do you think he would have done that?
puhlease man. Everybody in the country knows they have to have restrictions. It would be a free for all for schools that missed on players. Be honest with yourself and quit being ridiculous.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Good morning,

Here's our coverage from Tuesday that hasn't already been posted, with excerpts from each:

Barry Sanders statue on OSU campus 'in the works'

“It’s in the works right now. I don’t think it’ll be much longer,” Gundy informed. “We’ll have a statue of Barry up. I can’t give you a date on that. I don’t play much of a role on that, other than I thought we needed it.
OSU football notebook: The wide receiver position is a special fraternity for the Cowboys

“Ever since I’ve been here, we’ve been a very close group,” Jalen McCleskey said during Tuesday’s breakout session at Big 12 Media Days. “We’re still that now. It’s just an honor to be a part of this group and this team.”

“Me, Dillon (Stoner), Tylan (Wallace), Tyron (Johnson), if we see a younger guy doing something that we know is not right, we’ll go tell them something,” McCleskey said. “Or if he needs help working on something — maybe memorizing a play — we’ll help him. Maybe it’s like helping someone get some extra film, stuff like that, (wide receivers) coach (Kasey) Dunn does a great job of helping us out on the field and in meetings, stuff like that.”
Guerin Emig: Mike Gundy says everything's fine with Mike Holder. Why it had better be

“He was very apologetic,” Gundy revealed. “I said, ‘Coach, I know what you were trying to accomplish. You don’t have to worry about me.’ But it’s difficult to say the right thing all the time.”

What exactly was Holder trying to say?

“I think he mentioned James Washington in the article,” Gundy said, presumably of the write-up from Holder’s now-notorious appearance on a Pistols Firing podcast. “I honestly didn’t read it all. I just got bits and pieces. Everybody here knows that he thinks James Washington is a great player. So he was just trying to say, ‘I’d like to bring some guys in like James, in the fact that James is a two-star anyway.’ It just didn’t come together.”

As is always the case when it comes to this fascinating, occasionally inflammatory relationship, you’ll have to decide who and what to believe. You’ll have to take Gundy for his word when he says, as he did Tuesday:

“None of that (the recruiting flare-up) has affected anything. It really hasn’t. I’ve been doing this too long now. If it did, I would just say, ‘Hey, you know what? He thinks what he thinks, I think what I think. I work with President Hargis and Chad (Weiberg, OSU’s deputy AD) and I don’t talk to Holder.’

“I’d just tell you that because it doesn’t make any difference to me. But it’s not that way at all.”

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
He's here for one purpose. To get clicks for his employer's website.

Not sure I understand why he's allowed to post their stuff all over this message board. We all have internet access. If we wanted to see everything OSU related on their website everyday then we would just visit the site.
At least the Tulsa World knows there is more than one University in the state.

Of course I ran out of my freebie clicks long ago so now I'm like your nephew you have to tell to stop sleeping on your couch and go get a job.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
More from Mark Cooper...

This offseason, in addition to a raise that made Gundy a $5 million man, the OSU coach got what he wanted.

There are banners hanging from the rafters in the Sherman Smith Training Center. Not only did OSU’s assistants get decent raises -- Mike Yurcich is the highest-paid assistant in Cowboy history -- but the staff expanded. Oklahoma State added analysts, including four “prospect analysts” to help evaluate players in the new recruiting calendar.

The video board, in Gundy’s own words, looks awesome.

“I don't know if they've plugged it in yet,” he said. “It looks good. It'd be interesting to put one of those things you do blood pressure with on (Mike) Holder when they plug that in and you watch that electric meter start spinning.”

There have also been upgrades to the west end zone, both cosmetic and interactive.

“We're putting all new carpet in our building now,” Gundy said. “You guys probably haven't been upstairs in our entry. We're putting a new entry downstairs, it's all new. On our level we have a new trophy area and award area and we have new video boards in there. It's like a museum. You have a kiosk, you push a button, like you can type in James Washington and all the boards come up and tell his history, everything about him. Pretty cool. Putting in a new players lounge, game room, that should be done in a couple months.”
Link