Big 12 predictions

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
What does everyone think about the Big 12 rankings that came out a couple of days ago? Fair or not
I think they are underestimating Dru Browns experience as a starting D1 QB in a similar system with more talented players around him at OSU. If SS or TC beat him out, they will have beaten out a two year D1 starter which would also bode well for us. The floor at QB seems to be at an extremely high level for replacing a multi year starter with another multi year starter. If he's beaten out for the job, then that still offers a high floor for the position, especially with the uncertainty of new starters at QB for other Big 12 schools who are contenders (OU/TCU). Kyler Murray has 3 career starts and is being treated like a returning all Big 12 QB. He was 5.76yds/attempt and had a 4-5 TD to INT ratio in starts.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
I think they are underestimating Dru Browns experience as a starting D1 QB in a similar system with more talented players around him at OSU. If SS or TC beat him out, they will have beaten out a two year D1 starter which would also bode well for us. The floor at QB seems to be at an extremely high level for replacing a multi year starter with another multi year starter. If he's beaten out for the job, then that still offers a high floor for the position, especially with the uncertainty of new starters at QB for other Big 12 schools who are contenders (OU/TCU). Kyler Murray has 3 career starts and is being treated like a returning all Big 12 QB.
Totally agree with this assessment. While Kyle Murray is very fast, his passing is not accurate at all. I watched him when he played at A&M and was not impressed. I am still scratching my head how he went 9th overall in the MLB draft. Also, scratching my head while he would want to play one season at OU. They are not going to win a national championship so I don't see the gain here. Typical arrogant sooner I guess. I think us beng picked 5th is very low. Our returning offensive core, minus the QB position, is very strong. If we can figure out the signal caller, and I think it will be Dru Brown, then we are going to be very good. I am cautiously optimistic and in a wait and see approach right now. I think everyone is really underestimating Dru Brown too. He didn't have the weapons around him at Hawaii like he will here. And I don't think he would transfer without some hope of starting regardless if he initiated the contact or not. He transferred for a reason. Just my two cents on the situation.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I'd flip Iowa State and Texas honestly. I feel like ISU has proved more than UT to this point, but we will see. Texas has the talent to finish 2nd but I'm not gonna believe that Texas is "back" until they actually manage to do something. ISU beat OU and TCU last year and was a controversial call away from beating us too, and I think Montgomery is every bit as good as Anderson or Hill.

OU is like KU in basketball. They are the favorite until somebody beats them.

Not sure what two knuckleheads voted KSU 1st. I bet they finish higher than 6th but don't think they'll sniff 1st.

5th is probably a safe bet for us. Uncertainty at QB and who knows if the defense will actually be any better.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
Totally agree with this assessment. While Kyle Murray is very fast, his passing is not accurate at all. I watched him when he played at A&M and was not impressed. I am still scratching my head how he went 9th overall in the MLB draft. Also, scratching my head while he would want to play one season at OU. They are not going to win a national championship so I don't see the gain here. Typical arrogant sooner I guess. I think us beng picked 5th is very low. Our returning offensive core, minus the QB position, is very strong. If we can figure out the signal caller, and I think it will be Dru Brown, then we are going to be very good. I am cautiously optimistic and in a wait and see approach right now. I think everyone is really underestimating Dru Brown too. He didn't have the weapons around him at Hawaii like he will here. And I don't think he would transfer without some hope of starting regardless if he initiated the contact or not. He transferred for a reason. Just my two cents on the situation.
I really liked his full game cut ups, lots of plays our WRs would make that his simply couldn't make or dropped. He works the sidelines extremely well putting the ball where his guy can get it or its incomplete. He can buy time, but he's not afraid to throw it away on 3rd down or take a sack if it isn't there. He has a +arm and can hit the comeback and out to the opposite side of the field. The biggest flaw I saw was that when throwing on the run he sometimes would not reset his feet when given the opportunity and it ended poorly some times.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
I'd flip Iowa State and Texas honestly. I feel like ISU has proved more than UT to this point, but we will see. Texas has the talent to finish 2nd but I'm not gonna believe that Texas is "back" until they actually manage to do something. ISU beat OU and TCU last year and was a controversial call away from beating us too, and I think Montgomery is every bit as good as Anderson or Hill.

OU is like KU in basketball. They are the favorite until somebody beats them.

Not sure what two knuckleheads voted KSU 1st. I bet they finish higher than 6th but don't think they'll sniff 1st.

5th is probably a safe bet for us. Uncertainty at QB and who knows if the defense will actually be any better.
It will be interesting to see how Iowa State plays when they aren't sneaking up on the bigger names and also how they play without 2 of their 3 best players from last years team (Lazard/Lanning). They haven't recruited at a high level to have talent behind those guys that can step up in the past.

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
I'm okay with us a 5. We still have a lot of questions about our team that won't be answered until games start (I think the Boise game will give us the best indicator of our season outlook).

My only beef is Texas at 4. I get they are a blue-blood program, but they have been consistently average for awhile now. Went from 5-7 to 7-6 and you got experts putting them in the Top 10.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I've seen different preseason predictions, so I'm not sure which one you're referring to. But, I think OU is the favorite until someone takes it from them. After them, I think there is a lot of overall parity between OSU, TCU, WVU, KSU, and even ISU. I think Texas' offense is still going to be searching for an identity (and won't find it.) I think Baylor may be quite a bit better than expected, TT will be TT, and KU will be KU

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
It will be interesting to see how Iowa State plays when they aren't sneaking up on the bigger names and also how they play without 2 of their 3 best players from last years team (Lazard/Lanning). They haven't recruited at a high level to have talent behind those guys that can step up in the past.
True, Lanning and Lazard were big losses. Guess we will know pretty early since their first 3 conference games are OU, TCU, and us, and a game against Iowa in there as well.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
I'm okay with us a 5. We still have a lot of questions about our team that won't be answered until games start (I think the Boise game will give us the best indicator of our season outlook).

My only beef is Texas at 4. I get they are a blue-blood program, but they have been consistently average for awhile now. Went from 5-7 to 7-6 and you got experts putting them in the Top 10.
I agree with this.

Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
OU - Can't argue until someone knocks em off..though I don't think they will be world beaters like everyone seems to think they'll be.

WVU - I think the mountaineers will be good...but will Grier live up th all the hype he's getting?

Texas is a laugher at 4 until they prove me otherwise.

I love the way our schedule sets up..gives us a shot to be in the mix come November.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This is interesting and I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'd be very surprised if Dru Brown beats out Taylor Cornelius with four years in the system behind the best passing QB in the nation. Gundy say Cornelius is even more of an Athlete than was Mason Rudolph. He's 6-6 an 230... If Dru at 5-10 or 11 can beat out a physically imposing Corndog I will be VERY impressed (not saying it can't or won't happen, it certainly might). I noticed a few others who have similar opinions on Brown and will be interesting to watch the QB "competition," assuming what I do, to see if it actually is one. I hope that all three of the guys are great all conference level QB's and we find it very difficult to name a starter. One thing to recall about Brown is that I heard he actually has a red-shirt year that is unused as well. So unless I misunderstood he could actually play a role as 2nd team behind Cornelius and start in 2019 unless he is beat out by Sanders or others...assuming he did not win the job outright in 2018.

Last edited:

stonewallpoke

Herald of the House of Soju
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Fort Riley, KS
Totally agree with this assessment. While Kyle Murray is very fast, his passing is not accurate at all. I watched him when he played at A&M and was not impressed. I am still scratching my head how he went 9th overall in the MLB draft.
I'm sure he wasn't picked 9th overall in the MLB draft based on his football ability.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
This is interesting and I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'd be very surprised if Dru Brown beats out Taylor Cornelius with four years in the system behind the best passing QB in the nation. Gundy say Cornelius is even more of an Athlete than was Mason Rudolph. He's 6-6 an 230... If Dru at 5-10 or 11 can beat out a physically imposing Corndog I will be VERY impressed (not saying it can't or won't happen, it certainly might). I noticed a few others who have similar opinions on Brown and will be interesting to watch the QB "competition," assuming what I do, to see if it actually is one. I hope that all three of the guys are great all conference level QB's and we find it very difficult to name a starter. One thing to recall about Brown is that I heard he actually has a red-shirt year that is unused as well. So unless I misunderstood he could actually play a role as 2nd team behind Cornelius and start in 2019 unless he is beat out by Sanders or others...assuming he did not win the job outright in 2018.
It’s interesting you value time in the system with no experience over two years starting and over 700 pass attempts in a very similar system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
It’s interesting you value time in the system with no experience over two years starting and over 700 pass attempts in a very similar system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 years in the system with a lot of time in the backup position has to count for something. It’s not like he didn’t get some reps. What I have seen of him in games encouraged me. He has a better spiral on long passes than Rudolph and better wheels, too. It’s what he has between the ears that will determine how much he plays.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I don't have much problem with the pre-season rankings. Ou is a no brainer pick to win it...they are absolutely loaded. Who'd a thunk that an unknown 2nd year coach would take over and improve recruiting from where Stoops had it....things that make you go hmmm.

WVU and TCU are easy picks to round out the top three but they have both been inconsistent since joining the league, either of them could challenge for the top of the conference or drop into the bottom half....neither would surprise me.

Texas as always is a mystery. They have the talent to win the conference but they have had that the entire time they've been in the conference. Not sure they have things figured out yet, and I don't like their coach one bit, so until they prove they belong in the conversation, I personally won't put them there but not surprised that the talking heads do. I know that we seem to beat them more often in Austin than in Stillwater and we have them at home this year so take that for what it's worth.

I'd have put OSU at 4th until we know what we have at QB and as I said above, it's not surprising that the talking heads put us below ut.

The rest is a crap shoot. KSU will always be competitive under Snyder but they seem to have lost something the last few years, mainly due to QB injuries I suspect, which will probably continue unless Snyder changes his offense. ISU always seems to beat somebody at the top but can't seem to break into the top half of the conference. They lost a couple of great players but I like their coach so we'll see how they do, I agree with 7th though. Tech is Tech, don't expect much. Baylor a bit of wildcard, still have some talent but no depth. KU in last is another no brainer.

Last edited: