Big-12 Title picture...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
In my opinion, to beat OU we need Sanders to go out slinging it and hope he doesn't turn it over more than once or twice.

The Sanders that played against Texas beats OU if he only turns it over once. The Sanders that played timid against K State loses to OU even with zero turnovers.

That said, I think the health of the o-line will determine our gameplan and offensive success more than the QB.
I think a lot of the problem Sanders had at KSU was his injuries. He had shoulder issues coming into the game and then got some leg injuries during it. The TV showed a shot of him on the bench grimacing in pain as he tried to rotate his shoulders so they were definitely affecting him and he probably did not trust his throws as much. Hopefully he will be healthy for bedlam along with all of our other walking wounded. This is why it sucks to have to play OU late in the year every year. Really wish they could have stayed as an early game like there were going to be this year before covid changes.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
This!
All these geniuses talking scheme and what system we need to run like they know more than our coaching staff.

The success of any system is based on the strength of the line. I don’t care if you’re Peyton Manning or Russell Wilson. I don’t care if you run the air raid or the wishbone. If you do not have a good OL your production will suffer. Look at the injuries and lack of depth we have at that position. I’m sure the staff would like to do a lot of things differently, but the reality is they are limited by the ability of OL.
The good news is as long as we don’t keep getting bad injuries they will grow together and become better as a group. Get a couple back from injury and we’re at a point where we can open it up a bit.
Glad you mentioned depth. Are we more vulnerable to the injury bug this year than usual? Is it COVID related? Other teams have injuries too but it doesn’t seem to effect them so badly. Reality or perception.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I've heard the term "IT factor" on TV my entire life. But I struggle with how "IT" looks in practice. Please explain.

BTW, the rest of your post is at best conjecture, but more likely just a bunch of nonsense to promote a different QB.
"IT" is when a player sees something before it happens, "IT" is when there is leadership and confidence even under bad circumstances, "IT" is when they make the players around them better, "IT" is when they maintain their composer, "IT" is knowing what your own players are going to do given the circumstance.

Sorry, no conjecture. Several of the play calling issues are with Gundy/Dunn, they need to learn to adjust to the situation. I read all of your mind numb drink the Kool-Aid comments during the game. Several times, I wondered if you were even watching the game. As several of us have mentioned, you should just change your user name to Gundy.
And you’re ascribing the aforementioned “it” characteristics to Illingworth but not Sanders?

Where your data?

That is the kind of absolute horsesh!t comments coaches laugh at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Back on topic this is a very cool spot to be in. It is a 5 team race to the final 2 spots. A lot of goofy things can happen but right now.

OSU - Controls own destiny, win out and we are in.
ISU - Controls own destiny, win out and they are in.
KSU - Controls own destiny, win out and they are in.
OU - Needs to Win Out AND needs help.
UT - Needs to Win Out AND needs help.

Most likely: Bedlam Winner vs. ISU/UT Winner
Least likely: KSU vs. ISU
Least desirable: RRR 2.0
Also Plausible: Bedlam 2.0
Nearly Impossible: KSU vs UT
A Texas win out eliminates KSU with 3 loses.

If Texas wins out: 7-2
ISU 7-2 best case
OU 7-2 best case
OSU 7-2 (OU wins) and OSU plays the Baylor game (W)

UT, ISU, OSU, OU 4-way tie = OU and UT
OU 2-1, UT 2-1
OSU 1-2, ISU 1-2

ISU 7-2 best case with UT win out
OU 6-3 (OSU wins)
OSU 8-1 and OSU plays the Baylor game (W)

OSU 1st, UT and ISU 2-way tie = OSU and UT

What help am I missing that UT needs, if they win out? Is there something with the 4 way tie that eliminates Texas? If OU is given the #1 seed in the 4 way tie and then a round robin with the remaining teams, Texas is 2-0.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

ISU 7-2 best case
OU 7-2 best case

OU 2-1, UT 2-1
OSU 1-2, ISU 1-2

OU 6-3 (OSU wins)

What help am I missing that UT needs, if they win out? Is there something with the 4 way tie that eliminates Texas? If OU is given the #1 seed in the 4 way tie and then a round robin with the remaining teams, Texas is 2-0.
I think they mean the usual HELP that Texas gets from the refs so that they CAN win out... :D

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

ISU 7-2 best case
OU 7-2 best case

OU 2-1, UT 2-1
OSU 1-2, ISU 1-2

OU 6-3 (OSU wins)

Correct and corrected. I meant to put them as controlling their own destiny but made an error when moving KSU. At first I thought KSU needed help but realized they didn’t and moved them up without adjusting UT

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
You’re still missing the point. A running QB is one extra player for the defense to account for - in all situations.

Gundy has only mentioned it one or two million times.

Two DBs were assigned to account for that. Two WRs were striking downfield unassigned for, but the QB cannot throw because he did not anticipate and is either busy running or not in the downfield throwing motion.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
You’re still missing the point. A running QB is one extra player for the defense to account for - in all situations.

Gundy has only mentioned it one or two million times.

Two DBs were assigned to account for that. Two WRs were striking downfield unassigned for, but the QB cannot throw because he did not anticipate and is either busy running or not in the downfield throwing motion.
Wut?

Simple math for a simple concept.
- 2 deep safeties in coverage means the offense has a 2-man advantage at the LOS when in a run play with a running QB. Only a 1-man advantage with an offense with a statue at QB.
- 1 deep safety in coverage means you have a 1-man advantage at the LOS with a running QB, no advantage with a statue at QB.
- no deep safeties means you have no advantage with a running QB, 1-man disadvantage with a statue.

Gundy’s offensive philosophy in simple terms is to take what the defense gives you. So when you have an advantage at the LOS, run. When you don’t have an advantage at the LOS, at least one WR will be in single coverage and thus you pass. Clearly a running QB puts more stress on the defense and results in more potential options to exploit both in the running game and passing game.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Wut?

- 2 deep safeties in coverage means the offense has a 2-man advantage at the LOS when in a run play with a running QB. Only a 1-man advantage with an offense with a statue at QB.
- 1 deep safety in coverage means you have a 1-man advantage at the LOS with a running QB, no advantage with a statue at QB.
- no deep safeties means you have no advantage with a running QB, 1-man disadvantage with a statue.

Gundy’s offensive philosophy in simple terms is to take what the defense gives you. So when you have an advantage at the LOS, run. When you don’t have an advantage at the LOS, at least one WR will be in single coverage and thus you pass. Clearly a running QB puts more stress on the defense and results in more potential options to exploit both in the running game and passing game.

Don't take what the defense gives, take what you need.
John Madden
Hey Look I Wrote a Book

He may have been a slightly more accomplished practitioner of the football arts than Gundy

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Wut?

Don't take what the defense gives, take what you need.
John Madden
Hey Look I Wrote a Book

He may have been a slightly more accomplished practitioner of the football arts than Gundy
Lol. Offensive football has changed a little since 1984, especially in college. At that time, there was no such thing as the RPO, spread offenses, no huddle-hurry up as a base offense, etc, etc.

I guess in your world you ignore the defensive alignment and personnel and just blindly call plays.

No wonder your criticisms often seem so baseless.

Mar 8, 2010
Our chances for a conference championship went out the window with the loss to Texas. Gundy has shown he's clueless on how to beat uo. I wish we could go to another conference and never have to play them ever again. I'm tired of hearing that some of us are obsessed with beating the gooners, but they are ignoring the obvious, that beating them is the only way we are ever gong to win a conference championship and Gundy's can't figure that one out.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Our chances for a conference championship went out the window with the loss to Texas. Gundy has shown he's clueless on how to beat uo. I wish we could go to another conference and never have to play them ever again. I'm tired of hearing that some of us are obsessed with beating the gooners, but they are ignoring the obvious, that beating them is the only way we are ever gong to win a conference championship and Gundy's can't figure that one out.
We could join the Redneck American conference and dominate the Western Division but what fun is that?

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Lol. Offensive football has changed a little since 1984, especially in college. At that time, there was no such thing as the RPO, spread offenses, no huddle-hurry up as a base offense, etc, etc.

I guess in your world you ignore the defensive alignment and personnel and just blindly call plays.

No wonder your criticisms often seem so baseless.

What incredible recency bias.