1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bill Haisten's tweets re: QB race

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by JavaGuy, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Cowboy

My mistake.

He is still going to be the starter though.
  2. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

You would think he would be but I think Gundy pretty much left it open ended, like he won't. Kind of like the same situation when we knew Bobby Reid was going to take over for Donovan. A couple years ago when Weeden played half a game against Colorado, heading into the spring Gundy flat out announced that Weeden would head into Spring Practice as our starting QB. It's what caused Cate to leave. It was a good example of knowing when he has his mind set on who will be the starter. He hasn't said those things about Chelf. Which tells me that Chelf more than likely won't be the starter. Gundy has Chelf sitting in the same chair as Donovan Woods going into spring and not Weeden. And if that is how it is, Chelf just won't be good enough to hold Walsh off, cause Walsh is real deal. I just think some of you all haven't seen him in so long that you forget. You all will see in the spring though. Thats for sure.
  3. Hefley001

Hefley001 Cowboy

I gotta admit I'm one of them. Being military and away from the team as much as I am, I have to rely on what I see on TV and youtube. The Year of the QB show had them all throwing and I remember the comment BW said to Monken about JW's arm about to fall off from throwing so much. What throws I did see him make lacked zip on the ball. I'm not talking BW zip, just zip. It looked like JW was struggling on 30yd post routes. As I said above I'm basing this soley on what I see on tv so dont come at me like I'm smashing on JW, but I think its Chelf's job to lose.
  4. Well

Well Wrangler

I agree with this.

I think the decision should be fairly easy though. If Chelf is not producing in the first game, then others come in to test the, game-time, waters.
  5. opfan

opfan Wrangler

I agree it should be Chelf's job to lose, with the number of years in college football compared to the others. But, I have followed JW Walsh since I saw him at the old Texas Stadium his sophmore year against Longview in the state semi-finals. That night he threw for 280 and ran for 150 against a great Longview defense in front of 20,000+. I said then there would be no stage too big for this kid. Then the first year his high school was put in 5A (the biggest classification) he lead them to the 5A State Championship game, and they were the smallest 5A (school population) in Texas.

JW does not struggle throwing anything. think he gets labeled an average passer because he can run like a tailback. He let bombs go in high school and has the IT factor plus +10. He was at the Elite 11 camp because he was one of the best passers in the nation.

This spring is going to be very interesting! I can't wait
    JavaGuy likes this.
  6. Jonathangpark

Jonathangpark Wrangler

I remember Johnny Deaton but who was the other "highly-regarded" QB recruit? At that Johnny Deaton was a 3 star and an over rated one in my opinion. Not sure how highly regarded that is.
  7. pokes16

pokes16 Deputy

Nate Sorenson
  8. JavaGuy

JavaGuy Deputy

Nate Sorenson
  9. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

Deaton was actually a 4 star-- He is tearing it up at a lower level but had no chance againt Weeden obviously so he transferred.
  10. JavaGuy

JavaGuy Deputy

I don't he transferred because of Weeden. If he had stayed he would still have 3 years of eligibility remaining after Weeden is gone. He left because he was behind Chelf and a true freshman, Walsh.
  11. Captain America

Captain America Wrangler

That's just because he had never thrown as many times as we do in his high school offense. You never heard that said again after the show because as you get used to it, it's not as hard. I'll promise you he has zip on the ball. Watching him in warm-ups and in pracice videos, he'll be the guy in my eyes.
  12. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

See I agree with this. I think people falling so in love with Weeden and not seeing JW play for a year will make you forget. Walsh is a baller. All I can say is that people will remember when Spring gets here why he was so highly touted.
  13. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

Yes this ^. I don't know why people look at that and think that means he doesn't have an arm. Dude just wasn't used to that many reps. That has nothing to do with how well he can throw it.
  14. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

In all honesty guys I lost all faith in Chelf being the starting QB at OSU the moment I saw him riding a scooter to the stadium.
    GoPokeU, Captain America and JavaGuy like this.
  15. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

:lol:, Man I thought I was the only one that thought that. I was never going to bring it up. but now that you said it. lol
  16. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

He can't afford a nice new pickup like Weeden with his Yankee's money. Who knows, maybe he won one of the ones they were giving away at the b-ball games a few years ago :D
  17. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

Yeah I know it doesn't mean anything but when I saw him on the scooter I just thought man, mom and dad, please get this kid some wheels. Who knows he might be real good and we might see another ESPN story on him, and they will probably ask what is up with the scooter.
  18. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

I respect a man who is willing to ride a scooter to the stadium. He doesn't give a crap obviously lol.
    sc5mu93 and (deleted user) like this.
  19. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

I can't look it up at work, but I'm pretty sure the thing was at least orange!
  20. CowboyOrangeFan

A/V Subscriber CowboyOrangeFan Bro-Lo El Cuñado

I understand that you have followed him, and you probably have some attachment to him. Although what he did in high school doesn't mean anything now. Last season he was actually a below average passer at this level, and he was well behind even Chelf in that regard. Although the kid has all the intangibles, and a coach I talked to at that time (early last season) said not to count him out in the long run. Even though he had a long way to go before he would be ready at this level.

Well at the end of the season I did talk to the same coach, and apparently JW did do just what the coach thought he would. He made great strides. Now we will just have to see if he has come far enough to pass Chelf, and hold off a guy who is more of a pure passer coming straight out of high school. If I had to bet I would say Lunt would face some of the same problems that JW did, and ultimately won't be a factor next season. So I bet it comes down to Clint and JW. I still have to lean toward Clint, but I certainly won't count out JW.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.