1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bill Self Says OSU has Best Team on Paper

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by ICEdaLightsOut, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ICEdaLightsOut

ICEdaLightsOut Wrangler

Epperley28 likes this.
  2. OrangeForever

A/V Subscriber OrangeForever I'm a GREAT guy, by the way.

Countdown to Bill Self for Head Coach at Oklahoma State Explosion in 3... 2... 1...​
  3. 65POKE

65POKE Wrangler

Fingers crossed - talent is definitely there, just have to come together.
  4. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Cowboy

Buyout or not, another lossing season will cost Ford his job. Probably any post-season appearance will get him another year but this team has enough talent to at least get to the Big Dance.
    Trip349 likes this.
  5. osugrad78

osugrad78 Cowboy

PistolChad, GodsPeace, dlm4 and 2 others like this.
  6. OSUCowboy787

OSUCowboy787 Cowboy

[​IMG]
  7. superpoke

superpoke Cowboy

There's enough of our fans who are talking NCAAs - and some talking Sweet 16 or so - to set up that kill if it doesn't happen.
  8. Barnabas

Barnabas Cowboy

Regardless, there are no excuses next year.
  9. bcCowboy

bcCowboy Cowboy

Don't know if I think we are the best in the conference on paper, but I definitely think we have Top 25 talent. We just need to make it happen on the court. I think talent has been better than the results every year under Ford. He has never gotten the most out of our talent. He does appear to be a great recruiter though. I think there are a lot of coaches out there that could have led our players to a tourney appearance the last couple years.

This team has all the talent in the world. No excuses if Ford can't get them to do what they can. My worry is that he barely makes the tourney, and we lose in the first round. If that happens we won't fire him, but will just have to deal with the slow pain of his tenure. It would be like being stuck in mediocrity in the NBA. That said, I hope he succeeds this year, and we have a great team. And he builds on that.
  10. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

We got Top 25 talent. Problem is more than half the Big 12 does as well. When the team played pissed off last year they were great. Needs to hit shots.
  11. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Cowboy

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If he's not our next head coach after Ford (assuming he leaves in the next 10 years), I'll eat crow.
  12. malpoke

malpoke Wrangler

......and he must not say "next year".
    orangepower317 likes this.
  13. okie from muskogee

okie from muskogee Cowboy

All of this "the talent is there, we just need Ford to figure out what to do with it" stuff is driving me crazy. I'm expecting significant improvements this year. If there isn't, then Travis needs to go. I really want us to succeed this season so we dont have to deal with a coaching controversy, but I just have a bad feeling about this season. The lack of a post presence and the non existant play of our point guard has me thinking it will be another loooong season. We can't rely on our wing players to win us games.

However, if we can somehow pull off a style of play similar to that of the USA Olympic team we may have a chance of a decent year. The US plays a perimeter game with 4 guard/forward players outside and 1 strong center.... Now I know our team isnt as skilled or awesome as a bunch of NBA superstars, but if our offense can resemble something like the US's drive and kick and fast break play, along with their stringy defense we will be good.

All wishful, hopeful thinking... but in the offseason we can dream!

My personal starting five:
    PG - Smart
    SG - Brown
    F - Nash
    F - Olukemi (assuming he plays, if not we are really screwed) or Murphy/ Soucek
    C - Cobbins
  14. ramases2112

ramases2112 Cowboy

we havent had a point guard since eaton. you dont go dancing without a decent PG and you def wont make the anything past the sweet 16 without an above average to great
    PG. i think with markel playing the point well at then end of last season and maybe smart running point at some points of the game we will have great play from our PG position
  15. NewMoney

NewMoney Wrangler

My personal starting five:
    PG - Smart
    SG - Brown
    F - Nash
    F - Olukemi (assuming he plays, if not we are really screwed) or Murphy/ Soucek
    C - Cobbins[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. None the Nash at 4 spot crap. He was born to play the small forward, it's his natural position and thus where he looks the most comfortable.
    Smart has to play point with everything I've heard and seen.
    Brown is obvious at shooting guard. Let the big men play where they play, would nice to have size that's healthy, but you've got to play with what you got.
  16. Cowboys_Blues

Cowboys_Blues Wrangler

I personally think Brian Williams is the sleeper player on this team. He can shoot, drive to basket, and can play pretty good on-ball defense.
  17. Pokeabear

A/V Subscriber Pokeabear The High Horsemen of Horticulture

I see him as a James Harden type player, now he just needs yhe do and the beard.
    OSUMIKE17 likes this.
  18. mtberry

mtberry Cowboy

Are there any proven shooters on this team?
    SEKPoke likes this.
  19. orangepower317

orangepower317 Deputy

Nope. I would say the only decent, consistent shooter on the team will be Forte, unless there's been some serious off-season improvement. Guerrero can flat out stroke it when he's hot, but he's way too inconsistent.
  20. William McEwan

William McEwan Wrangler

This lineup gives you 5 guys on the floor who can posterize people at will, they will be regulars on sports center top 10