1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bill Self Says OSU has Best Team on Paper

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by ICEdaLightsOut, Jul 27, 2012.

1. BimboColes

BimboColes Deputy

If you take 5 3pt shots a game and make 3, you are incredible.

This is a per game thing. Not 2 shots all season. I think you need to read my post again.

If you took 2 3's a game and made 1 each game. You would be about 35/70 for the season. Thats incredible and a good indicator of the type of shooter you are because there is a big enough sample. Everyone in the stat category I referenced had a good enough sample size.

orangepower317 likes this.
  2. BimboColes

BimboColes Deputy

So now 30% is just alright? Earlier you said 25% was good. Which is it?

3. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Wildcard A/V Subscriber

Alright=good in my dictionary.

4. CTeamPoke

Not when you compare it to a team that is built around taking three point shots like OSU is. Did they do it as well as MU? Nope. But that's what Ford is trying to do. If you take two three point shots a game and make one each time then yeah, you're statistically good but you never take the shot outside those two times! It's not a fair statistical comparison to a guy like Brown who is going to take 8-10 threes a game.

5. BimboColes

BimboColes Deputy

You are really struggling buddy.

Brown took 2.2 3s per game last year.
    Williams took 2.7 3s per game last year.

Out of the 34 players who shot 2 or more 3pt shots a game last year, only 9 took less than Williams and two of them were Nash and Guerrero.

Even Keiton Page only took 8 a game and he led the league in attempts.

6. CTeamPoke

Ok well apparently I'm an idiot and I'm just going to go fudge myself. Which sounds delicious.

7. PlatypusJojo

PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon A/V Subscriber

I guess we should all be like BimboColes and let our hatred of Travis Ford blind us so we make sure that nobody can ever find a silver lining about our basketball team.

8. OSUCowboy787

OSUCowboy787 Sheriff

You know you can't get much worse than we have been. So I would think we improve at least from last years performance. With our level of talent though I'd think it should be Sweet 16 or bust for Ford. Gotta get someone in there who can win with the players we have been able to recruit. We don't want to become like underachieving Baylor in basketball...

9. BimboColes

BimboColes Deputy

Where did I say a thing about Ford?

Trying to find a silver lining in a 27% 3pt shooter is a bit irrational.

10. CTeamPoke

It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. But, as stated, I'm an idiot.

11. BimboColes

BimboColes Deputy

Quit being a crybaby. I owned you with real statistics and you just made things up (like Brown taking 8-10 3pt shots per game). Just admit you are wrong about your standards of "good shooting" and don't act all dramatic.

Calling a 27% 3pt shooter as your best returning shooter is not a silver lining.

Focus on athleticism and defensive ability for this team if you want to point towards likely strengths.

12. CTeamPoke

Hovering around 30% from three is good. Period. I honestly don't care what you think. Brown's athleticism and his ability to make things happen by driving the lane makes him a good player and possibly our best returning player.

PlatypusJojo likes this.
  13. BimboColes

BimboColes Deputy

If being good is being at the bottom of 34 players in the league that shot 2 or more 3's a game, you have a much different standard of good. Its not good. Period.

Gottlieb shot 29% from 3 his senior year. By your definition he was a good shooter. Game Over.

14. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Among the top 100 three point shooters in the nation last season 19 of them averaged 8 or more three point attempts per game, none of them took 10 on average/game. Only two of them played in what I might consider a major confernce.

Page at OSU (8)
    Jenkins at Vanderbilt (9)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...r/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct

15. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Territorial Marshal

Wow! lol Barnabas did you look at the two years prior to Ford. sucked (NIT), sucked (NIT) but let's not mention that. At least try to live in reality. If you hate Ford fine but try to be honest with yourself. I agree Ford needs to make NCAA tourney this year but I believe he will. If not, he's on the hot seat.

16. Cimarron

Iba wasn't an alum.....

17. Cimarron

18. LS1 Z28

LS1 Z28 Deputy

You know I'm not sure what he was for his career. Last year he shot .386%. That would've likely been 40% or over if he hadn't been asked to take so many guarded shots. ISU, Missouri, & Baylor all had sharpshooters last year that shot over 45% from three. Since the conference average is around 33-39% I think that's about what we should hope for from our backcourt players.

Even with Keiton Page last year we were terrible from long range. Our three point shooting percentage of .333% ranked us 220th in the country. If you take out Page's attempts & makes we were roughy .296% from three. That would've ranked us 326th in the country. (There are only 344 D1 teams.)

I think that Forte will help. But the bottom line is Williams, Nash, Brown, & Guerrero have to start consistantly hitting their shots when they're open. I hope they've been putting the hours in this summer so that they can do that. If not we could be terrible next year.

19. Redhawk

Redhawk Founding member of the Ben Grogan Fan Club A/V Subscriber

Page was a tremendous shooter coming out of high school, but over the course of his career he had to become more of a scorer instead of a spot up shooter. Forte is a guy I see as being a Page-type player; everything about him says he can shoot the ball. I just hope he is never asked to carry the load Page had to.

20. CowboyVenus

CowboyVenus Sheriff

I'm just going to throw this in we did have the highest improvement in 3 point % from 2011 to 2012 in the big 12! So at least we are going up! ha

PlatypusJojo likes this.