Boulder Mayoral Election

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Neither is the right. Does Oklahoma Gov. Stitt have so much as one black on his staff? I doubt it.
I'm 100% positive that if that's true, it's not because of people requesting "no blacks" which is the overwhelming difference here...

To be fair, I didn't click the OP's link because I didn't recognize the site and don't want to get bombarded with ads/spyware so I don't know what the articles claims and evidence are. Just running off the assumption that both what they said and you said are true.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'm 100% positive that if that's true, it's not because of people requesting "no blacks" which is the overwhelming difference here...

To be fair, I didn't click the OP's link because I didn't recognize the site and don't want to get bombarded with ads/spyware so I don't know what the articles claims and evidence are. Just running off the assumption that both what they said and you said are true.
It's the Daily Camera, Boulder's longtime newspaper, fwiw.

Feb 25, 2008
By SAM LOUNSBERRY | slounsberry@prairiemountainmedia.com | Boulder Daily Camera
PUBLISHED: November 19, 2019 at 9:02 pm | UPDATED: November 19, 2019 at 9:34 pm
But the votes to fill the leadership roles occurred only after several public speakers at Tuesday’s Council meeting asked that a member who is not a white man be selected for a leadership position. Some suggested incumbent Councilwoman Mary Young, who in 2017 vied for and then withdrew her name for consideration as mayor, again throw her name in the hat.
Councilwoman Mirabai Nagle rebuked the notion that Weaver and Yates’ statuses as white males should cause Council not to consider them for leadership positions, suggesting that white men, and not just women and minorities, have experienced a form of unfair treatment at some point in history.
“You have pigmentation that you can’t help, and you have genders you can’t help, but you’re being lumped into the white male (demographic),” Nagle said. “Every single race on this planet has in some way been … ” she paused, before finishing, “has had something horrible happen to them at some point in our history. For us to be lumping you into white males, I’m sorry, I’ve had it, it’s obnoxious.”

Incumbent Councilman Aaron Brockett, who also was reelected on Nov. 5, while supporting Weaver’s and Yates’ respective bids for mayor and mayor pro tem, countered Nagle’s comments.

“Mirabai, I have to respond a little bit: I do feel like, as a white male, that role carries a great deal of privilege that I, and I think the rest of us, have benefited from enormously throughout the course of our lives,” Brockett said. “But obviously, it’s not everything, and I do think the two gentlemen in front of us tonight will do a great job at moving us toward our goals the next year or two.”

Yates garnered the most votes in the 15-person candidate field, from which six council members were elected based on overall number of votes. In addition to reelecting Yates and Brocket, voters on Nov. 5 elected four new members: Rachel Friend, Adam Swetlik, Junie Joseph and Mark Wallach, who were sworn in Tuesday morning.

Weaver, a former Boulder Planning Board member, first won a Council seat in 2013, and was reelected in 2017.

With a unanimous vote by his fellow Council members, Weaver became the 51st elected head of the city, according to a Carnegie Library for Local History webpage that lists who has filled the role.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The left in this country is not ready for such a radical concept.
Neither is the right. Does Oklahoma Gov. Stitt have so much as one black on his staff? I doubt it.
See, you are proving his point. You are obsessed with knowing whether or not he has any black people on his staff, rather than worried about whether or not he has the most qualified people on his staff with the best qualifications.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
See, you are proving his point. You are obsessed with knowing whether or not he has any black people on his staff, rather than worried about whether or not he has the most qualified people on his staff with the best qualifications.

Watch yo mouth now! You're talking to the guy who was a Never Trumper before it was even a thing!

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

Okay, so did he consider any black people who looked attractively qualified to be on Stitt's staff? Or do you quite strongly support Stitt only having whites on his staff and probably only a small number of women, if that is what he sees fit as best to do as governor?

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Okay, so did he consider any black people who looked attractively qualified to be on Stitt's staff? Or do you quite strongly support Stitt only having whites on his staff and probably only a small number of women, if that is what he sees fit as best to do as governor?
Unless you can prove otherwise, I'll assume he did look at the qualifications and hire who he thought would do the best job.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
A person's skin color or gender does not define who they are. Why do you so quite strongly believe that it does. That's called racism...YOU are the one who isn't ready for King's dream. You have proven my original point completely.