BPS Seat Reconfiguration

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
The OSU football game day experience has changed....and changed so much for the better.

Back in the 70s when I was in school, a Saturday football game was like this:
Tailgating was actually a few pickup trucks in the parking lots with the tailgate down and a styrofoam cooler full of canned beer. Probably Coors because it was beer flavored water and cheap.
There were no tents up from Old Central to the north side of old Lewis Field.

There were a few people in the bars on The Strip and over by Eskimo Joes and The Grey Fox. There were people at The Hideaway having pizza before the game.

The stadium started filling it's seats with 37,000 in attendance against a reigning national champion Nebraska in town.

The food offered at Lewis Field was cheap hot dogs, boring hamburgers, popcorn and other crap. The sodas (no beer) seemed to be way overpriced for that era, but were a necessity as a mixer for your illegally smuggled, half pint of Jack Daniels or Bacardi that was warming in your pants.

The wins were few and a 7 win season was a damn good one for OSU standards.

I'd say you get what you pay for and you either pay for quality or you stay home and save money for that family vacation to Branson, Missouri.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The band needs to stop playing the song where the students yell "suck that cowboy d*** b****”. They'll never get the students to stop saying it. And I heard it on a basketball radio broadcast earlier in the season. Not sure if you hear it on tv though. Bad form and should be stopped.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Let's look at all of the changes and what we were promised just two years ago when the last configuration happened.
1. You can't leave the stadium and it was going to be an incredible environment. Here's the changes:
A)We get to listen to loud mouth people that think $8 beer is a secret to eternal happiness.
B) The F bomb has become much more pronounced.as the $8 beer goes down after the half.
C) The concessions are pretty much Pizza Hut and beer in the west end with a few other vendors. The awesome variety promised when they closed the stadium is not present.
D) Beer sales were going to bring in an incredible amount of revenue, evidently that didn't happen because they are raising prices again
2. The videos and music along with the guy with the microphone and all the little games are very, very stale.
3. Kill the kiss cam, please
4. No grillaroni
I actually do send in my complaints to the administration and to their credit they do respond.
2. I can never understand the loudmouth with the traveling microphone. All he does is hurt my ears.
3. Yes, PLEASE KILL THE KISS CAM!
Kiss cam is sweet and sometimes silly. I got on once with my 5 year old daughter kissing my cheek. As for Les "the loudmouthed guy with the mic", most stadiums or arenas have someone like that. An emcee that runs around the crowd doing things. What do you really not like about him?

https://youtu.be/67BUqguVJGE

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
The OSU football game day experience has changed....and changed so much for the better.

Back in the 70s when I was in school, a Saturday football game was like this:
our illegally smuggled, half pint of Jack Daniels or

The wins were few and a 7 win season was a damn good one for OSU standards.
I'm certainly not questioning that OSU is better than it ever has been, but the idea that we were in the Widerness in the past is a fallacy.

In the 70's we played 11 games so there was one less opportunity to win 7 games.

But....at that
OSU won 7 games or more 4 times that decade and had a winning record 6 times in the decade of the 70's and won a Conference Championship.

In the 80's we won 7 or more games 6 times, had 3 10 win seasons and 7 winning seasons.

So....between the 70's and 80' we won 7 games or more half the time.

The 90's were obviously bad due to probation, but then it picked right back up in the 2000's with Les, then Mike

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I'm certainly not questioning that OSU is better than it ever has been, but the idea that we were in the Widerness in the past is a fallacy.

In the 70's we played 11 games so there was one less opportunity to win 7 games.

But....at that
OSU won 7 games or more 4 times that decade and had a winning record 6 times in the decade of the 70's and won a Conference Championship.

In the 80's we won 7 or more games 6 times, had 3 10 win seasons and 7 winning seasons.

So....between the 70's and 80' we won 7 games or more half the time.

The 90's were obviously bad due to probation, but then it picked right back up in the 2000's with Les, then Mike
Look at the last half of the 1960s. In 1970 we went 4-7, ‘71 was 4-6-1, ‘72 was 6-5, ‘73 was 5-4-2. We were in the wilderness prior to 1974. 1976 was a 3 way tie for the championship. Not that great in an 8 team league. But we thought it was great at the time.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
The beer thing can get a little embarrassing when my kids are with me but its not going to change.
A football game from the time I enter to the end of game can be 4-5 hours, I should be able to leave if I want I bought the ticket. If you think the no return policy has anything to do with fans in seat you are wrong. It’s all about the $.
My main complaint is they need to turn the volume down a little on the music and stuff. I don’t mind it playing, but when I can’t talk to the person sitting right next to me until the music stops...its too freaking loud!!

Nov 14, 2010
Look at the last half of the 1960s. In 1970 we went 4-7, ‘71 was 4-6-1, ‘72 was 6-5, ‘73 was 5-4-2. We were in the wilderness prior to 1974. 1976 was a 3 way tie for the championship. Not that great in an 8 team league. But we thought it was great at the time.
We had 2 winning records during that period between 1970-1974

That would put us in a bowl in those years under todays setup and is 1 more winning season than we had in Gundys first 4 years at OSU.

That's not in the Wilderness

Here was the quote though
"Back in the 70s when I was in school, a Saturday football game was like this"

So....the 70's were the decade in question so there is no reason to look at the last half of the decade of the '60's because it wasn't in question

But...if we do that....lets go back

In the '40's and 50's we had 12 winning seasons and one other that was not a losing season.

That includes a National Championship

That's not in the Wilderness either.

So....really...we've had bad decades in the 60's, then in the 90's

But then...we also had great decades in the '80's and 2010's, and decent success in the 50's, and 70's very good success in the 2000's and a National Title in the 40's

We haven't been in the wilderness in the past like so many people think we have.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
The band needs to stop playing the song where the students yell "suck that cowboy d*** b****”. They'll never get the students to stop saying it. And I heard it on a basketball radio broadcast earlier in the season. Not sure if you hear it on tv though. Bad form and should be stopped.

LSU stole “neck” from one or a few of the SWAC schools but added their own “flare” to it. It’s been popular for at least a decade now and CBS had a ban on the song - just as Alabama had one for their Dixieland Delight. It’s very played out now but it’s still legendary and really gets Death Valley roaring. I have noticed other schools stealing it but it’s nowhere as rowdy with LSU fans. I even heard UT imitating their first down song.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
It must be said that football pays for almost every other sport, so instead of an increase in football prices one could view it increase to support all other OSU sports programs. As long as it’s not crazy increases I will be ok with it.
Still need to turn the volume down though!!!!

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
We had 2 winning records during that period between 1970-1974

That would put us in a bowl in those years under todays setup and is 1 more winning season than we had in Gundys first 4 years at OSU.

That's not in the Wilderness

Here was the quote though
"Back in the 70s when I was in school, a Saturday football game was like this"

So....the 70's were the decade in question so there is no reason to look at the last half of the decade of the '60's because it wasn't in question

But...if we do that....lets go back

In the '40's and 50's we had 12 winning seasons and one other that was not a losing season.

That includes a National Championship

That's not in the Wilderness either.

So....really...we've had bad decades in the 60's, then in the 90's

But then...we also had great decades in the '80's and 2010's, and decent success in the 50's, and 70's very good success in the 2000's and a National Title in the 40's

We haven't been in the wilderness in the past like so many people think we have.
I will agree that we never were at the level K-State was before Bill Snyder. Now that was wilderness.

Nov 14, 2010
I will agree that we never were at the level K-State was before Bill Snyder. Now that was wilderness.
I was at their home opener in 1983 when they lost to Long Beach State, who I believe, dropped their football program after that year

There were 25,000 people there and it was bad

Nov 14, 2010
It must be said that football pays for almost every other sport, so instead of an increase in football prices one could view it increase to support all other OSU sports programs. As long as it’s not crazy increases I will be ok with it.
Still need to turn the volume down though!!!!
It's simply robbing Peter to pay Paul when you increase football prices

For every extra dollar OSU fans are forced to spend on football, they have that much less to spend on other sports.

I'd be curious to know the % of OSU fans that go to basketball and baseball games and wrestling duals but dont go to football games.

I could be wrong but I'll bet there is a bunch of crossover

Football largely supports other sports because that's the way Holder has structured it

But....
If football was bad, and had cheap tickets, and basketball was and at high demand, basketball would be just fine.

For instance, by having high football tickets, it will make it much more difficult to have high prices in other sports, even if they deserve it

If basketball ever becomes in high demand again, basketball prices would go up, which would generate more revenue, which would allow room for the Athletic Department to drop football prices.

Football has benefitted greatly by basketball falling off, because there are several thousand fewer people now that are trying to figure out how to afford both

If basketball got good and raised prices, football would have a much more difficult time charging the prices they do.

It's an interesting conoundrum that it is set up for football to support the other sports, but by raising football prices, it puts the people that try to afford going to multiple sports in the most jeopardizing position.

Basketball, baseball, golf, wrestling etc....were just fine in the 90's when we were terrible in football.

In fact, Gary Ward had his own boosters, which meant he got to control the money he raised, and he fought tooth and nail to keep it that way vs the way it is now

Holder built Karsten during possibly the worst stretch of football in the history of our program.

Last edited:

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Agree with turn the music volume down.....EXCEPT.......when the gooner band is playing boomer gooner.

You can even turn the volume up more.

You know it has to piss them off when we do it.

Jan 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK

Never heard this

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Never heard this
At football games it's probably not as noticable unless you sit near the students. It's a bassy song to start, trombones and tubas loud. Then kids sing heeey-oooooh. A little music and then they sing the above phrase.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
i know there are guys around here who remember buying the student all sports ticket that got you into every sporting event on campus except mens basketball

how the times have changed
You can still buy it and it gets you into bball also. $250 I think. You can also buy a couple of guest passes for the same price.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
i know there are guys around here who remember buying the student all sports ticket that got you into every sporting event on campus except mens basketball

My student activity card was good for every sporting event, but only half of the basketball games. It was also good for the Allied Arts Program, but those tickets were first come first served. I remember seeing Van Cliburn, Herb Alpert and The Righteous Brothers. Those were the days.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

Yup. The all sports ticket only got you in the "lottery" for MBB tickets. THEN you had to be lucky enough to have your name drawn to have the option to buy MBB tickets (and it only got you half of the home games).

I was a December graduate. Guess the only time my name was pulled in the lottery over 3+ years? :angry::cursing: