Burns Hargis retiring

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
Burns Hargis willl be a tough act to follow. The job of University President certainly has shifted during my time. There were a lot of academicians that were not happy when OSU hired a non PHD, non-academic as the president. However the presidents job now is more fundraising, cheer leading and politicking now. The VP's can handle the academics.

I have a pretty good idea who they are grooming to be the next OSU President and he combines both the academic side and is a proven fundraiser. But OSU has never promoted within the system before so that would be a change. Of course we never hired anyone like Burns before.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Burns Hargis willl be a tough act to follow. The job of University President certainly has shifted during my time. There were a lot of academicians that were not happy when OSU hired a non PHD, non-academic as the president. However the presidents job now is more fundraising, cheer leading and politicking now. The VP's can handle the academics.

I have a pretty good idea who they are grooming to be the next OSU President and he combines both the academic side and is a proven fundraiser. But OSU has never promoted within the system before so that would be a change. Of course we never hired anyone like Burns before.
Can you share who you think the candidate is?

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Best President of my OSU lifetime (and I’m old).....
Thanks Burns, enjoy your retirement!
Could be. I'll say we all loved Halligan when I was in school, and you could argue he got the ball rolling with the facilities and fund-raising in Stillwater. But the expansion under Burns has been huge.

So who's next? Having a politician or business leader sure seems to be helpful in what has become the "arms race" of college campuses. None of the recent governors or senators seems to make a lot of sense. Past CEO of ConocoPhillips or Williams?

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Could be. I'll say we all loved Halligan when I was in school, and you could argue he got the ball rolling with the facilities and fund-raising in Stillwater. But the expansion under Burns has been huge.

So who's next? Having a politician or business leader sure seems to be helpful in what has become the "arms race" of college campuses. None of the recent governors or senators seems to make a lot of sense. Past CEO of ConocoPhillips or Williams?
Yup. Halligan to Hargis... bar is absolutely set pretty damned high for the next person that steps in to those brightest orange cowboy boots. :thumbup::pistols::koolaid:

Sep 12, 2008
Yup. Halligan to Hargis... bar is absolutely set pretty damned high for the next person that steps in to those brightest orange cowboy boots. :thumbup::pistols::koolaid:
You conveniently left out the big misstep in between the Halligan and Hargis.. lowest morale point in my OSU history which goes back to a gentleman named Kamm.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
You conveniently left out the big misstep in between the Halligan and Hargis.. lowest morale point in my OSU history which goes back to a gentleman named Kamm.
Was it a mistake or a calculated move by the board to clear the way to help move OSU forward? Schmidly never planed to be here a more than a few years, that is why he started building a house in the SW in his first year here.