1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Byron Mullens

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by OrangeAggie, Apr 4, 2012.

1. OrangeAggie

OrangeAggie Assistant to the Moderater A/V Subscriber

Anyone else wondering how we let this guy go? He would have given us exactly what we needed off the bench, which is an offensive post presence.

40 points and 23 rebounds the past two games while playing pretty decent defense.

2. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

He's playing for the Bobcats.. Somebody's got to score sometime. He did not/would not have a spot on our team.

cowpoke20 likes this.
  3. OrangeAggie

Yeah, no way he could help us out more than Nazr Mohammad. :rolleyes:

4. okpoke2003

okpoke2003 Sheriff

Byron needs shots and minutes to get in the flow of the game and make an impact; we simply don't have either to give right now. When we made the trade, we needed a guy to come in and play solid defense, take good shots, and limit mistakes and Nazr brings that. Byron is still learning the game and didn't bring any of that when he was traded. It also helps that Nazr has a championship ring.

The coaches and the management had a decision to make, Byron Mullens or Cole Aldrich? They couldn't keep both on to just be around to develop. We spent a lottery pick on Cole so it's not hard to see why they chose to keep him.

There's no doubt Byron has been playing great basketball, but I just can't see how he would have squeezed his way into the rotation at the rate he was going here. I think both franchises won with the trade.

pokelahoman and PokeVille like this.
  5. PokeVille

PokeVille . A/V Subscriber

Fair analysis, however Nazr is considered by many to be a class act pro and an excellent locker room guy. He also knows his role on this team. Those things are more essential than what Mullens brings to the table. Which made him expendable. Also, I think Aldrich has more upside plus we have more invested in him. Can't keep them all.

okpoke2003 likes this.
  6. CornDawg

CornDawg Deputy

You mean the guy that had that sweet toilet pose picture leaked? I wish I could find that picture somewhere. It's glory.

7. MSteph57

MSteph57 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

If he was any good he would have seen the court more often...

8. PokesPeak

PokesPeak a division of TacoCorpĀ© A/V Subscriber

this?
    ept_sports_nba_experts-31869502-1277126429.jpg

9. CornDawg

CornDawg Deputy

No. It was a picture that he sent to a girl (who leaked it) where he was on the toilet with his hands behind his head and his junk tucked down underneath. Very feminine and hilarious in the "hey, look at that idiot" kind of way.

10. OrangeAggie

31 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks tonight.

You guys are right, the dude is complete garbage. :rolleyes:

11. MSteph57

Against the Bucks...how longs was with the Thunder? 3 years? I think that plenty of time to give a player a chance. Now he's the best player on a crappy team. Don't let the spotlight blind you OrangeAggie

12. PokesPeak

PokesPeak a division of TacoCorpĀ© A/V Subscriber

bwahahahaha

13. OrangeAggie

Yeah, you're right, there's ZERO chance Presti may have made the wrong move by letting him go. :rolleyes:

MSteph57 likes this.
  14. MSteph57

Glad you agree. Just remember he's the best player on a terrible team. :)

15. PokeVille

He's playing well and it's surprising to me how well he has played. I remember being a little shocked the kid came out of college as early as he did. I'm not going to say Presti can do no wrong but I'm pretty happy with the team we currently have. At the moment, it appears we let one get away. Sometimes it's amazing what a guy can do with some minutes and an opportunity to score.

I don't think he would have ever had as many opportunities to score with the Thunder because of Durant/Westbrook/Harden. Which leads me to believe that he wasn't as good of a defender and rebounder as some of the other guys. It would be nice to have a guy with the ability to score come off the bench, though, they may not have known he was capable of that with the limited time and exposure he got. Another thing we as fans may not be able to see is work ethic and attitude. Maybe there was an issue there but that's just speculation.

Personally, I'm still holding out hope for Aldrich. The improvement he made over the offseason was impressive. If he continues to improve I think he's going to be a real asset for this team. He fits the profile of what the Thunder typically look for in a post player which is attitude, defense and rebounding first, offense second. His improvement and his effort on the court make me think that he has a great work ethic and is team oriented.

16. colb

colb Hey, Jack. A/V Subscriber

Mullens wouldn't have panned out in the end... even if we had the space. Dude was getting impatient waiting for his shot.

17. WorldseriesofPoke

WorldseriesofPoke Territorial Marshal

I always liked him a lot more than I did Aldrich...I hope the Thunder made the right move. I really don't want to see Mullens averaging close to a double double in a few years.

18. colb

colb Hey, Jack. A/V Subscriber

I think Aldrich has more potential.... honestly. He has the work ethic, and he was already well coached under Bill Self. I see them molding Cole as a replacement for Collison when he decides to retire, but with more offense.

19. PokeVille

39pts 34rebs!

...in his last 7 games

pokelahoman likes this.
  20. RoyOrange

RoyOrange Wrangler

Glad Mullens is doing well with his new team. Had high hopes for him with the Thunder when he was drafted. Kristic obviously wasn't the answer at center but when they rooked the Celtics out of Perkins, there wasn't much opportunity for Bryon.