California Conservatives fleeing the State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-conservatives-move-texas-other-130617543.html

Conservative residents of California are leaving the state, or are considering doing so, at an unprecedented rate, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Just over half of California’s registered voters say they are seriously contemplating leaving the state, according to a joint survey conducted by the Times and UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies. Forty percent of those considering a move are conservative, while 14 percent are liberal.

Judy Stark, 71, a former resident of Modesto, California, told the Times she and her husband were fed up with high taxes, lax local law enforcement and illegal immigration. Stark and her husband Richard have since settled near Dallas, Texas.
“We’re moving to redder pastures,” Stark said. “We’re getting with people who believe in the same political agenda that we do: America first, Americans first, law and order.”

The state lost over one million residents in 2018 to internal U.S. migration, according to California’s Legislative Analyst’s Office. That number comprises 2.5 percent of the state’s population. While there are people moving into California, most of those have higher incomes and settle in the San Fransisco Bay area.

Most of the outgoing residents leave for Texas. The Starks managed to buy a home in Texas for about $300,000, half of what they would pay in California.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Yeah, they better enjoy Texas being a red state wile it lasts. Though even when It does go blue, it will still be way more conservative than California. So they should have that going for them.

Oh, and anyone saying they are for “law and order” while being a member of Trump’s GOP literally makes me laugh out loud.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Yeah, they better enjoy Texas being a red state wile it lasts. Though even when It does go blue, it will still be way more conservative than California. So they should have that going for them.

Oh, and anyone saying they are for “law and order” while being a member of Trump’s GOP literally makes me laugh out loud.
It will be a while before it is Blue. Still very red outside of metros. At most, it will be purple.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Those 2 positions aren't mutually exclusive.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond

At what point do the moderate dems switch parties. As the liberals go more and more left , the moderates have to be thinking what happened to my party.

Oct 7, 2008
So are liberals. a lot of them are moving to Texas as well.
I love making fun of Californians who've lived here their entire lives then one day decide they want to experience a part of the country other than California so they move to... Austin. The California of Texas.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Some Californians should hurry up and move to Stillwater to make sure it goes over 50,000 for the 2020 census. Some of them already are as well from other legal marijuana states to take advantage of the legal medical marijuana boom in Oklahoma. Their expertise in the industry is needed.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Some Californians should hurry up and move to Stillwater to make sure it goes over 50,000 for the 2020 census. Some of them already are as well from other legal marijuana states to take advantage of the legal medical marijuana boom in Oklahoma. Their expertise in the industry is needed.
Serious question Townie...Do you think the "medical marijuana boom" may be a tad bit overblown? It seems every other street corner in Oklahoma has a dispensary. That just doesn't seem sustainable, looks like an investment that is likely to go up in smoke.

Last edited:

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Serious question Townie...Do you think the "medical marijuana boom" may be a tad bit overblown? It seems every other street corner in Oklahoma has a dispensary. That just doesn't seem sustainable, looks like an investment that is likely to go up in smoke.
I think it will be similar to the internet. In 1998-2000 when everyone thought they were going to set up a website store/service and become rich, that was overblown as most of those failed. But, the idea of the internet succeeded and the few winners won in incredible ways.

IMG_5398.JPG

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The market will definitely correct at the point of sale end of things, production's another story.

When I visited Stillwater in June & saw 13 dispensaries in a town of 45k, I thought "man, this can't last.'

I think the way OK implemented it was both good & bad. Good, in that they gave out a TON of licenses, which in turn helped keep prices down for the consumer. When we went through legalization in Colorado & some towns were extremely stingy with the licenses (think 2 dispensaries in a town of 100k, for example), those that got the licenses had the market cornered & in some cases charged alot higher prices. As the number of permits increased, so did competition.

Steross is right, it's a gold rush, for some.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
No, not yet. Only 4.44 percent of the population in Oklahoma has a medical marijuana license. Still a lot of potential left for growth. If the number of new applications for med marijuana dispensaries licenses goes down, that won't hurt. Stillwater has 36 of them with smaller numbers of licensed growers and processors. No doubt, it's good for the local economy.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
No, not yet. Only 4.20 percent of the population in Oklahoma has a medical marijuana license. Still a lot of potential left for growth. If the number of new applications for med marijuana dispensaries licenses goes down, that won't hurt. Stillwater has 36 of them with smaller numbers of licensed growers and processors. No doubt, it's good for the local economy.
FYP

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
All these Cannabis dispensaries confuse me. It seems like ending prohibition by opening a bunch of alcohol free bars. It feels like a lot of the MJ crowd was just hoping this would be a short lived step to full legalization.

For there to be this many outlets indicates it's turned into a bit of a snake oil where people are being sold on magical healing properties. There can't really be enough people who can actually benefit from the medication to support this boom.