1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Calvin Barnett arrested

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by O-Swag, May 1, 2012.

1. O-Swag

O-Swag Wrangler

An Oklahoma State University football player was arrested Tuesday and received four misdemeanor driving-related charges Wednesday.
    Defensive tackle Calvin Eugene Barnett, 20, faces charges of driving under suspension, no insurance, speeding and failing to register a vehicle within 30 days of purchase.
    He was arrested by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol following a traffic stop.
    Driving under suspension is punishable by up to a year in jail.
    Barnett, a junior from Tulsa, transferred from Navarro Community College and enrolled at OSU for the Spring 2012 semester.
    He was highly recruited by head coach Mike Gundy, who provided this statement about his abilities on signing day Feb. 1:
    "Calvin Barnett is a defensive tackle from Navarro who was at Booker T. (Washington) that we tried to get a couple years ago that we lost on signing day. We continued to recruit him, let things fall by the wayside and didn't take it personal, worked hard at it and were able to get him in this signing class."
    Barnett has since been released from jail. A court date has not yet been assigned.

http://www.ocolly.com/osu-football-...our-driving-violations-1.2866137#.T6BG0MU1TFl
  2. Poke4Life88

Poke4Life88 Wrangler

3. Noven

A/V Subscriber Noven Devil Incarnate

F'n offseason. What happened to all that maturing he did?
  4. PokealypseNow

PokealypseNow Cowboy

Kid's been a trainwreck from the get go. First with the signing day antics, then not being able to stick at Arkansas, and now this?

C'mon Gundy and Co., you're smarter than taking a risk on a dumb kid like this, regardless of how gifted he might be.
  5. BeatOU

Staff A/V Subscriber BeatOU GGBTW

Meh... There's nothing serious here, IMO. Loads of people don't even know they're driving on a suspended license that is a result of an old, unpaid ticket.
    CIA COWBOY, CPA Poke, OSU79 and 6 others like this.
  6. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

Non of this will keep him from playing Ball, and helping OSU win games
  7. Noven

A/V Subscriber Noven Devil Incarnate

Handle it internally. Make him sit out practice.
    osu_edmond likes this.
  8. Poke4Life88

Poke4Life88 Wrangler

Serious? Probably not. But where there's smoke there is usually fire. And like Pokealypse pointed out above, he's been a disaster behavior-wise.
  9. PistolPete'sMustache

A/V Subscriber PistolPete'sMustache Wrangler

Holy overreaction! Stupid kid being stupidly irresponsible about car ownership. It is really the bottom rung of legal problems kids can get into. Learn your lesson, pay your fine, and move on. He will be a best on the dline next year.
  10. JoshOSU420

A/V Subscriber JoshOSU420 Athletic Supporter

Unfortunately its not just this one thing, he has 4 charges. This is not just "oops I forgot my license is expired"
  11. ATXCowboy

A/V Subscriber ATXCowboy Like a Boss

Suspended license....hmm, I'd somewhat understand an expired license but that doesn't sound good.

Might have had it suspended for not having liability insurance.
  12. Epperley28

A/V Subscriber Epperley28 Cowboy

That's possible. Driving under suspension is a mistake anybody can make. I got arrested for it once because I hadn't paid a speeding ticket but didn't get the notice my license was suspended until the day after I got pulled over.

The insurance shows it was more than a mistake, though. However, this is hardly the straw that broke the camel's back. He's obviously not maturing as fast as we would like, but this isn't a dismissable offense at all.
  13. McKeen the Cowpoke

McKeen the Cowpoke Cowboy

I visited my brother-in-law down in Louisiana in March. He'd moved from Missouri back in October. Not only had he not changed his plates from Missouri to Louisiana, the Missouri plates were expired. After pointing this out to him, he said that his wife's dad, who had moved from Missouri back in August had gotten a speeding ticket a few week prior. No mention was made by the cop of his father-in-law's Missouri plate that had expired back in November.

What a bunch of immature maroons!
  14. PistolPete'sMustache

A/V Subscriber PistolPete'sMustache Wrangler

Um, what? Have I missed some major story about him? So he chose Arkansas originally. Big deal. And not being "able to stick at Arkansas?" Didn't he go juco for academic reasons then chose OSU when he got that resolved? It happens all the time that kids go juco and end up at a school other than their original commitment. The only thing I remember was that people were pissed that he pulled off an orange and black jacket to reveal an Arkansas shirt, but I'm pretty sure it was proven to be a Booker T. Washington high school jacket, not an OSU jacket (same colors). Even with that, how has there been any character issues? I seriously don't recall anything negative about him or his character during his juco years. Fill me in if I missed something. Traffic irresponsibility is such small potatoes I just don't see how it means anything.
    CPA Poke likes this.
  15. ATXCowboy

A/V Subscriber ATXCowboy Like a Boss

Gundy is probably installing a stair master in his room right about now.
  16. chitownpokefan

chitownpokefan Off the front

He went to JUCO, never went to Arkansas.
    Anaranjado likes this.
  17. Kenny Orange Powers

Kenny Orange Powers Wrangler

I agree. Sure he should be more responsible than this but this happens to a lot of people. I'm just glad it was not drugs or a violent offense. Get the kids vehicle registered and get his insurance straight and get him a bus pass and everything will be fine.
  18. OKCFan

OKCFan Wrangler

a disaster??!!! how has he been a disaster behaviorally?

like another poster said, what an incredible over reaction by some people. wow.
  19. Orange Superman

Orange Superman Cowboy

REALLY?!!
  20. JoshOSU420

A/V Subscriber JoshOSU420 Athletic Supporter

Sorry, but this made me laugh.
    OSU79 likes this.