Canadian County Sheriff opens applications for his Posse

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We all know the print media leans left, and when you get to these smaller, paid for by ads, local things they are often pretty lefty. But the Gazette can hardly hide their open disdain for the local dirt farmers they are surrounded by. I've never seen a publication more disgusted with their own geographic surroundings.

I forgot about their cannabis ads though. They do have that market covered.

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Why is that? Because there are no articles in there praising or promoting conservative political policies?
The Gazette cracks me up. It's a free publication so they can do what they want.

I don't really need some right wing cheer leading publication, and if I want to know what the local Republicans are thinking, well.. I've got your posts for that. The Gazette is nothing more than a collection of Cannabis ads, drag show notifications, and opinion articles written by some kid who is mad he is in Oklahoma but he spent his allowance on doobage so he can't afford the bus ticket to San Francisco.

Hey, as a gift to you I bought you a subscription. Just stop by any restaurant in OKC and tell them I've already paid for your subscription through the end of the year.

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I clicked on the header to take me to the Gazette 1st page and the very first ad is for CBD & peanut butter dog treats. I couldn't even make that up.

1594152716014.png

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I secretly miss the hell out of the Gazette. It reminds me of my single guy days looking to see what bands were playing where.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I live in Canadian county and have heard of this for some time. It isn't a new idea due to the present issues. He's been looking into it for over a year. They aren't recruiting people to go rounding up hoodlums. It is a program to assist the sheriff's department in a situation where they may need additional people. I do not know what "situation" would warrant implementation of the posse. There is a background check and some training involved as well. I don't know the entire protocol of the program but that is the basics of it.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I live in Canadian county and have heard of this for some time. It isn't a new idea due to the present issues. He's been looking into it for over a year. They aren't recruiting people to go rounding up hoodlums. It is a program to assist the sheriff's department in a situation where they may need additional people. I do not know what "situation" would warrant implementation of the posse. There is a background check and some training involved as well. I don't know the entire protocol of the program but that is the basics of it.
It’s like reserve officers

Feb 25, 2008
In case you want info directly from the source....

https://ccsheriff.net/sheriffs-posse.php
SHERIFF'S POSSE
The Canadian County Sheriff's Office is looking for volunteers to serve on the "Sheriff's Posse." While traditional posse's of the Old West were used to chase down and apprehend outlaws, Sheriff Chris West is more interested in volunteers who would be willing to assist the Sheriff and his deputies in times of a local crisis, or state of emergency.
The Sheriff's Posse is a rapid response force of citizens who could be called upon "in a minutes notice" to answer the call to aid in safeguarding lives and property and the Constitutional Rights of innocent law abiding citizens of Canadian County. The Sheriff will also utilize the Posse to support other civic and community oriented events and activities.
To apply you do not need to have former law enforcement or military experience. It is our hope to bring diversity in skill, abilities, as well as race and gender to the group.
The Sheriff's Office is evaluating, in an on-going process, the assets and resources of persons who've shown interest in being a part of the Sheriff's Posse. Once those items are identified and categorized, applications will be reviewed. As you can imagine, the response from persons wanting to join the Sheriff's Posse has been big. We anticipate this identification, categorization and selection process will take time as we also carry out our other daily duties and responsibilities. Thank you for your interest.

also
https://ccsheriff.net/post.php?ID=19

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Sheriff's can and do deputize ordinary citizens, and they can form a posse. This is perfectly legal and not as uncommon as you think....it just wasn't news in the past.

Anybody who doesn't like it should work to change the law.

Should volunteer firefighters not be allowed because they have other jobs or might have less training/experience than their full time counterparts?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Should volunteer firefighters not be allowed because they have other jobs or might have less training/experience than their full time counterparts?
Fire fighters aren't given the power and authority to detain people, arrest people, arm themselves and given the power to use deadly force...which deputies are.

Remember a few years back when the Tulsa Sheriff had the guy who bought them a bunch of cameras and equipment who was deputized and allowed to ride along with the Tulsa Sheriff. And he ended up shooting a guy in the back (almost shooting an officer in the process) while a bunch of officers were on him because he accidentally grabbed his gun instead of his tazer

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Admit it, you signed up for this yourself so you could harass OU fans on the way home from games.