Cedars.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I have about 4.5 acres that are covered by significant cedars.

My question would be if anyone here is particularly interested in coming and cutting down cedars and taking them away?

My chainsaw is currently down and I honestly don't want to go and try to cut down 100 trees solo. I do have some pretty large ones.

My wife has posted about this elsewhere with some interest but so far no one has put a blade to anything yet. We do intend to keep our other trees.

Is anyone interested?

olderschool

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2009
There is a federal program that if your canopy is rather large they have money that they can give you to remove them. Check with your county extension office. If you don’t know what that is you didn’t go to OSU.
But it’s possible Trump got those funds to build the wall.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I have about 4.5 acres that are covered by significant cedars.

My question would be if anyone here is particularly interested in coming and cutting down cedars and taking them away?

My chainsaw is currently down and I honestly don't want to go and try to cut down 100 trees solo. I do have some pretty large ones.

My wife has posted about this elsewhere with some interest but so far no one has put a blade to anything yet. We do intend to keep our other trees.

Is anyone interested?

Just cut them down a few at a time and drag them into a pile with a truck or 4 wheeler. Next time it snows and there's a little dusting on the ground light those bastards off. If you'll leave the stumps pretty short, but still above ground you can just kick them out of the ground in a couple years. The stumps aren't like a oak or some other hardwood stump. They'll break down to nothing pretty quick.

If you've only got 4.5 acres you can manage that a little at a time.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
There's crews out there that run around central OK with skidsteer loaders and shear attachments that can knock these out in mere minutes...

1591639672930.png

Have no idea what they charge though.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
There's crews out there that run around central OK with skidsteer loaders and shear attachments that can knock these out in mere minutes...

View attachment 81474

Have no idea what they charge though.

I think if you've got enough acres, the .gov will help you pay for it.

I actually have no idea what the program covers or entails though.

Maybe one of these smart guys will come along here shortly and provide a link or something.

Aug 14, 2005
Edmond Oklahoma
Just curious, but why would you want to do that?

An average size cedar drinks 30 gallons or water a day
https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/water-use-by-eastern-redcedar.html

Cedars retain 80% of the rain that falls on the canopy thus choking out everything around it.
Major, major Fire hazard due to high oil content.
Nothing grows under them due to the water issue and also high acidic nature of the needles it drops
Natural native grasses and other vegetation is choked out. So cattle ranchers lose grazing grounds.
Cost of getting rid of them: Skid steer with tree shredder runs about $1800 per day they can clear out on average 1/2 -3/4 acre a day.
Cut the tree off with a sheer, you still have the stump to deal with, dozer work is expensive.
They breed, spread, and sprout like rabbits.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Eastern redcedar trees have two, and only two, redeeming qualities:
1- they are NOT resprouters; so, if you cut them below the bottom branch, they do not resprout
2- they make wonderful fish habitat when you sink them in a pond or lake

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
An average size cedar drinks 30 gallons or water a day
https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/water-use-by-eastern-redcedar.html

Cedars retain 80% of the rain that falls on the canopy thus choking out everything around it.
Major, major Fire hazard due to high oil content.
Nothing grows under them due to the water issue and also high acidic nature of the needles it drops
Natural native grasses and other vegetation is choked out. So cattle ranchers lose grazing grounds.
Cost of getting rid of them: Skid steer with tree shredder runs about $1800 per day they can clear out on average 1/2 -3/4 acre a day.
Cut the tree off with a sheer, you still have the stump to deal with, dozer work is expensive.
They breed, spread, and sprout like rabbits.

Or, as I like to say 'the only good cedar's a dead one'.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
I had around 10 acres that I wanted shedded of cedars. I looked into programs (nope, too little acreage), tree shears, and finally, my selected option which was to hire a dozer guy for 1/2 day (was like $300-400). He pushed all of them into a couple of piles, which I let ferment, and then put a match to them. Was definitely the best option for me. The tree shears option was no cheaper, and left stumps to deal with. The dozer guy left smooth dirt.

edit: those fires were spectacular - flames over 100' high.