CJ Moore enters transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Johnson, Wallace, Wolf, Stoner, Shepard, Anderson plus incoming freshman plus walkons.
That looks like a pretty good two-deep right there:
Wallace; Sheperd
Johnson, Anderson
Stoner, Wolf

I'm happy with that. Then get Freshman a few reps to be ready to take over with the departure of Wallace and Stoner. . ..

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
CJ couldn't hardly break into the line up as Greenwood, Alexander, and Johnson all got more playing time. I think Sheperd was next in line in the rotation.

But, with Greenwood and Alexander already declaring, I think it's less about "playing time" and more the "work/benefits" of playing big time D-1 football. Tracy Moore said during CJ's recruitment that he had loads of talent but needed to learn to apply himself.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
That looks like a pretty good two-deep right there:
Wallace; Sheperd
Johnson, Anderson
Stoner, Wolf

I'm happy with that. Then get Freshman a few reps to be ready to take over with the departure of Wallace and Stoner. . ..
Wolf will be departing too. He will be a senior next year.
We are going to need a portal player or two plus one of these Freshmen to really show up, before 2021 season.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My hunch is that he wants to play NOW and he's not seeing where he's going to be able to leap frog any of....
Wolf, Stoner, Wallace, Johnson, Shepard, or Anderson. I think it's not the right move, but I don't know the inside story on the young man. Bottom line, I wish him luck and prosperity with his choice to leave. Never wish anyone ill will. Good luck and God Speed young man.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I hate to see a good player go, but as long as they don't bail midseason I respect the decision.

Aug 16, 2012
that is a little harsh to say. don't you think?
Different world then. My day you actually honored commitments, even if it eventually turned out to not be the best situation for you. Different now, but as a business owner, I come back to these analogies...

I take a $30k to design a building for a client, a couple weeks later, I have the opportunity to accept a $250k commission for a much better project but doing so I would have to walk from the smaller. Just me, but I committed to first, so I stay with it.

I take a commission, and even after I went through all of the due diligence, and effort, it becomes clear that I am going to lose my shirt. Do I walk? No. I made a commitment.

I built several of the homes in Wedgewood out at McElroy and Jardot. My first was a nightmare with guys quitting, not giving effort, and some management mistakes I made as a 20-something. Spent the last three weeks of the '86 summer finishing a house by myself, essentially for free. I had a contract and fulfilled it when I could have walked.

Just a different time. Coaches being able to walk with no commitment or ramifications only justified the kids' actions now.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Different world then. My day you actually honored commitments, even if it eventually turned out to not be the best situation for you. Different now, but as a business owner, I come back to these analogies...

I take a $30k to design a building for a client, a couple weeks later, I have the opportunity to accept a $250k commission for a much better project but doing so I would have to walk from the smaller. Just me, but I committed to first, so I stay with it.

I take a commission, and even after I went through all of the due diligence, and effort, it becomes clear that I am going to lose my shirt. Do I walk? No. I made a commitment.

I built several of the homes in Wedgewood out at McElroy and Jardot. My first was a nightmare with guys quitting, not giving effort, and some management mistakes I made as a 20-something. Spent the last three weeks of the '86 summer finishing a house by myself, essentially for free. I had a contract and fulfilled it when I could have walked.

Just a different time. Coaches being able to walk with no commitment or ramifications only justified the kids' actions now.
^^This^^

Oct 11, 2006
Owasso, OK

Good points. Not divorced though, right?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

I get that, but I think the relationship between you and your potential clients is more balanced than the relationship between student and University. At least the way it used to be. Prior to the scholarship limit Universities could exploit young kids. The scholarship limits and now the transfer portal has tilted the scales in the student's favor to a far greater extent.

Your point about respecting commitment is valid though as evidenced by the divorce rate in our country.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
My hunch is that he wants to play NOW and he's not seeing where he's going to be able to leap frog any of....
Wolf, Stoner, Wallace, Johnson, Shepard, or Anderson. I think it's not the right move, but I don't know the inside story on the young man. Bottom line, I wish him luck and prosperity with his choice to leave. Never wish anyone ill will. Good luck and God Speed young man.
He will still have to wait a year and he's already used his redshirt so he's losing out on a year of eligibility.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Also, the commitment by the University is only a series of one year contracts, not a four year deal. So, it seems ok for the athlete to opt out when the coach can do the same to him.
I thought that changed for P5 schools back in 2015?

Not that kids still don't get run off, but I thought the schools had to guarantee 4 years now.