Coach Dunn to UNLV

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
That's a huge loss. I've often wondered why we've never done more hiring from within, especially considering we always talk about keeping OUR offense. Oh well, good luck to Coach Dunn, he will be missed. Who are the top candidates to replace him?

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
You serious Clark? He was promoted to Associate Head Coach and paid $550,000 last year, but yeah, Gundy didn't support him. Bless your heart.
Its Dunn wanted to be an O.C. Gundy didnt hire him. His promotion and more pay kept him around for one year. That's it. We'll see if Gundy can hire a good WR coach and Dline coach now.

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
Coach Dunn is a really good receiver coach. That does not always translate in to being a really good offensive coordinator - so we will see. I can certainly understand him wanting to take that shot.

Arroyo has been through a LOT of programs over his career. Interesting he comes after OSU assistants for OC and DC. Back hand compliment to the quality of our coaching staff and Gundy's hires.

Oct 30, 2007
He doesn’t even realize that Dunn was promoted to Associate Head Coach last spring. Part of the reason that the recruiting class is ranked lower is because we concentrated on linemen who typically don’t get as high of ratings as skill position players. And congratulations on your nephew being in the recruiting class. Who is he, if you don’t mind telling us?
I've heard this argument, but I don't buy it. 2 of our top 3 prospects are offensive lineman. We typically recruit really well offensively. The primary reason our recruiting class is ranked so low is because we struggled to recruit defensively. Last year 8 of our 11 high school signees were ranked outside of the top 1000 nationally. This year 7 of our 10 fell into this category. We have to start recruiting at a higher level on the defensive side of the ball to move forward as a program. The recruiting rankings will look a lot better if that ever happens.

Oct 30, 2007
That's a huge loss. I've often wondered why we've never done more hiring from within, especially considering we always talk about keeping OUR offense. Oh well, good luck to Coach Dunn, he will be missed. Who are the top candidates to replace him?
Here are the names RA threw out. It feels really odd to see him at SI instead of Gopokes.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...oma-state-to-be-offensive-coordinator-at-unlv
With Dunn coaching at the Texas Bowl it is early to think about possibilites, but coaches out there with Gundy ties include former offensive coordinator at OSU and head coach at Southern Miss and North Carolina in Larry Fedora, former wide receivers coach at OSU Gunter Brewer, and current quarterbacks coach at the Los Angeles Rams in Zac Robinson.

Others that I know of that seem to be qualified and might be interested include Darrin Chiaverini; Walt Bell, who was a GA at Oklahoma State and most recently was offensive coordinator at Florida State; Kenny Guiton at Houston; Andre Coleman, who at Kansas State with Bill Snyder as OC and receivers coach; Jacob Peeler, who was most recently at Ole Miss; and former Missouri receivers coach A.J. Ofodile.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
If Gundy had promoted Dunn to OC last year, then last year we would have been looking for a WR coach (like we are now). He wouldn't be OC and WR coach at the same time.

You can't "keep him" and not be looking to replace the WR coach so we were eventually going to be in this situation.

Granted he could still help in recruiting good WRs, but it seems like if I was going to be a recruiter at OSU, I'd want the job of looking for WRs as that has to be the easiest sell there is for the program.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Here are the names RA threw out. It feels really odd to see him at SI instead of Gopokes.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...oma-state-to-be-offensive-coordinator-at-unlv
With Dunn coaching at the Texas Bowl it is early to think about possibilites, but coaches out there with Gundy ties include former offensive coordinator at OSU and head coach at Southern Miss and North Carolina in Larry Fedora, former wide receivers coach at OSU Gunter Brewer, and current quarterbacks coach at the Los Angeles Rams in Zac Robinson.

Others that I know of that seem to be qualified and might be interested include Darrin Chiaverini; Walt Bell, who was a GA at Oklahoma State and most recently was offensive coordinator at Florida State; Kenny Guiton at Houston; Andre Coleman, who at Kansas State with Bill Snyder as OC and receivers coach; Jacob Peeler, who was most recently at Ole Miss; and former Missouri receivers coach A.J. Ofodile.
Some good options on that list.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
Some good options on that list.

I agree. Those are good names. Zac Robinson seems like a stretch but who knows. Maybe he would be willing to come back. Anyone with NFL experience is always a plus for recruiting. Fedora seems a little problematic based upon his CTE comments.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
You serious Clark? He was promoted to Associate Head Coach and paid $550,000 last year, but yeah, Gundy didn't support him. Bless your heart.
Its Dunn wanted to be an O.C. Gundy didnt hire him. His promotion and more pay kept him around for one year. That's it. We'll see if Gundy can hire a good WR coach and Dline coach now.
He stayed 8 years at OSU. That’s a lifetime for a college assistant. Good luck to him. Fate my have him cross our path again someday.

Assistant coaches are going to leave. Nature of the business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond

RA needs to check his facts before he puts this stuff out for publication. This borders on embarrassing.

Zac is the Assistant QB coach for the Rams, not the QB coach.

Chiaverini is the Assistant Head Coach and WR Coach at his alma mater, Colorado. Probably not interested.

Walt Bell is the head coach at UMass. Doubt that he is interested.

Guiton is actually at Louisiana Tech, not Houston. He probably would be interested.

Andre Coleman is the WR coach at Texas. Not saying he wouldn't be interested, but we have not hired too many coaches off the UT staff.

Ofodile was a TE in college and has always coached tight ends.

Sep 6, 2014
I don't understand this mindset. In my view, a "bad program" is an opportunity to challenge yourself as a coach and see what you can build from the ground up - especially for Arroyo. It will likely be a stepping stone for both Arroyo and Dunn, and it may define both of their trajectories. A coach that can turn around a bad program has a LOT of appeal at schools like Tennessee or Nebraska. If I was a young coach, I would accept that challenge, and use it as a resume builder.
I couldn't disagree more. There are small programs that you take over to show you know how to coach, and there are Power 5 programs who have NEVER been good and NEVER will be good unless they catch lightening in a bottle with some stud young coach who turns out to be amazing (and then leaves shortly after). UNLV is one of those programs where a coaches career goes to die. I wish him well though

Oct 21, 2013
Austin Texas
It would appear from this Tulsa World article that Coach Holder receive the credit from Gundy for being able to keep Dunn.

Gundy on receivers coach Kasey Dunn: “We were extremely fortunate to keep Kasey Dunn. (Athletic director Mike Holder) did a fantastic job of building a contract and a package — a long-term deal — and, essentially,
recruiting him. Kasey wanted (a promotion). He wanted to be the coordinator, so I wasn’t the most popular guy with him at that particular time. That’s life. That’s the way it is. So, coach Holder basically did a fantastic job of keeping him here.”

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
It would appear from this Tulsa World article that Coach Holder receive the credit from Gundy for being able to keep Dunn.

Gundy on receivers coach Kasey Dunn: “We were extremely fortunate to keep Kasey Dunn. (Athletic director Mike Holder) did a fantastic job of building a contract and a package — a long-term deal — and, essentially,
recruiting him. Kasey wanted (a promotion). He wanted to be the coordinator, so I wasn’t the most popular guy with him at that particular time. That’s life. That’s the way it is. So, coach Holder basically did a fantastic job of keeping him here.”
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. UNLV is so irrelevant and weak, that even if you do have some "success" there, no one's going to really care. Arroyo is the OC at Oregon, and already a know quantity. Another good year and he could probably have some much better offers. I suppose Dunn could get some valuable OC experience, but he'd better hope they win a bunch.

Oct 21, 2013
Austin Texas
Isn't associate head coach above OC? Wouldn't that sound like he got to help design the overall game plans with Gundy? I'm not sure but just the title sounds like more responsibility than OC.

My best guess is that they needed to give him the title to support the pay raise they gave him to keep him.

Oct 21, 2013
Austin Texas
I'm not saying that Coach Dunn walked on water and I have to remind myself that Coach Gundy found and hired Dunn, so I expect him to do just that again.

Just my topical observation that some coaches are a bit better at recruiting but not quite as strong at player development (coaching them up) and some coaches are very strong at player development but not as strong in recruiting. Coach Dunn to me, appeared to do both well. Regardless of star ranking, he seem to find, recruit and develop players that were as good or better than any in the conference. Somehow he figured out the code to get these kids to come to Stillwater.

I'd like to thank him for his service to OSU and the young men he developed. I'm excited to see who Coach Gundy brings into his coaching family to move us forward.

Last edited:

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Coach Dunn to me, appeared to do both well. Regardless of star ranking, he seem to find, recruit and develop players that were as good or better any in the conference. Somehow he figured out the code to get these kids to come to Stillwater.

I'd like to thank him for his service to OSU and the young men he developed. I'm excited to see who Coach Gundy brings into his coaching family to move us forward.
That's a good point. We were fortunate to see so many of his players light it up for the last eight years. Wish him well hope the next guy can take the torch and run with it.