1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Copperhead Repellent?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by InTheKnow, Aug 23, 2009.

1. InTheKnow

A/V Subscriber InTheKnow Usually Last to Know

Anyone know of a good Copperhead repellent? I just killed a full grown Copperhead by my back door. Not a good place to find a poisonous snake. Not to mention that I have little kids (6 and 9 years old) who play out there.

I would like to stick with natural stuff, but I've heard that mothballs work. I'll try that first. Anyone know of anything else? Also, I have 2 dogs (large) and 4 outside cats, but my 9 year old daughter spotted it first.
  2. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

The best repellent I know of is a charge of 8's at about 1,280 fps.:D

I know of no repellent that is advertised to work.
  3. Rob B.

A/V Subscriber Rob B. Twizzard of Oz

I can tell you that mothballs don't work. Opened my water meter last month and there was a nest of baby copperheads in it. Mothballs didn't phase them. Other than Sig's #8's, I suggest a pet mongoose.

Also, not to alarm you, but I've always heard where there's one copperhead, there's usually another close by.
  4. InTheKnow

Thanks for the info. Although I had never heard that about them being in pairs, my wife had. We're on the watch for #2 right now. I've got a few places I suspect they might be hiding. Also heard that Copperheads love to hang out around old firewood.

Thanks for the tip about mothballs. Won't need to waste time and money on that.

Bad thing is that we're outside ALL the freaking time. I considered buying a Taurus Judge, because I can't carry a shotgun outside all the time (gets a little heavy) - but I like Sig's idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although you can't see the fangs in this picture. After I beheaded this thing, I took two sticks and opened his mouth so my wife could get a pic of the fangs and the sucker was still trying to bite! Just the head, no body and it was trying to sink it's fangs into the stick. I hate snakes!!!!
  5. CPTNQUIRK

A/V Subscriber CPTNQUIRK A Legend in His Own Mind

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    I have used a .22 revolver with the shotshell ammo, but a shovel or hoe works better. I have had a lot of copperheads in my yard over the last 15 years, as many as nine in one year. I got a Border Collie-Australian shepherd about twelve years ago. He has been very good about locating the snakes so that I can dispatch them in a humane manner. The last 3 or 4 years we have found only one or two per year. Unfortunately, the mouse and rat population has gone up dramatically.
  6. InTheKnow

I used a straight hoe on this guy and it worked very well. Problem is getting to the "killing tool" without letting the snake get away. I lost one earlier this year attempting to get the straight hoe. I have a Catahoula and a Pyrenees/Akbash mix, and they've spotted several snakes for me this year, but never a Copperhead.

From the sound it, you've had much more problems than I have. Nine in one year and I think I might move. :D In six years, this is the first Copperhead I've killed, but one did get away earlier this year.
  7. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

The issue with copperheads is not of aggressive behavior but they get in the way and when surprised, strike. A friend east of Stillwater killed one a few years ago 31" in length. That is huge for a copperhead.
    Keep your grass cut short and the presence of dogs will be the best deterrent a guy can have. Other than mothballs at 1,280 fps. :D
  8. InTheKnow

31 inches is a monster sized Copperhead. You can bet I'll be keeping the lawn cut very short from now on.

Apparently, my kids walked by this one. According to my daughter, she noticed it out of the corner of her eye - coiled up about a foot to a 1 1/2 feet (judging by her description) - they walked right by it. I'm just thankful they didn't step on it. Freaks me out just thinking about it...

I'm certainly no snake expert, but I would think that a snakebite to a child would be worse than an adult - considering the big difference in body weight.
  9. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

Pack the bite area with ice and get thee to the hospital. It'll make one sick but very seldom do we lose anyone to snake bite. I think the odds are better to be struck by lightening than to die of a snake bite. Still serious, to be sure, just not quite like hollywood pictured it.
  10. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

If you have a .38 special or .357 Mag revolver, you can purchase shot shells made by CCI that will shoot a pattern the size of a paper plate at 6'. It's big medicine on snakes. It uses #12 shot. Don't know how many pellets are in each cartridge but snakes or other critters you need to dispatch don't do well when they catch a full load.
    I use the CCI shotshells with my .45 Colt Revolver. Not the 45 auto but the old single action caliber. really good medicine.
  11. Quizzah

A/V Subscriber Quizzah Cowboy

Another thing to keep in mind is that they are more likely there for the food that they are eating. If you have mice in your house or around it, setup kill traps so that starves the snakes and makes them look elsewhere...
  12. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

I've always heard that guinea hens will work. I remember as a kid my parents had them around the house until we got older. I don't remember finding very many if any snakes when we had them.
  13. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

You will have no chiggers or ticks, either. Guineas have always been known as the greatest watch dog of all. You can't drive into a home where guinea's are present without them raising all kinds of noise.
  14. Rob B.

Off subject, but another fun fact about Guineas, if you watch a hen closely, and find her nest, (they like to hide them well) you can replace the eggs with Bobwhite/Blue quail eggs and she'll raise them to a wild covey of birds. Not your typical dumb pen-raised quail.
  15. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

That is something I did not know. Good information! We need more quail.
  16. okstate0303

okstate0303 Cowboy

My little boy's(he's 14) Over/Under .410/.22 works well out here. It's small and he keeps it close so when we encounter a snake I just call on him and it's gone. He hates snakes as much as I do.
  17. Rob B.

I learned this trick when I worked 2 winters on the Mariposa Ranch in So. Texas. We kept a flock of guineas just for this purpose. It looks really good when the clients you are guiding on bird hunts pull in the drive and there are 4 or 5 coveys of young birds running around in the yard.

http://mariposaranch.net/
  18. docjoctoo

docjoctoo Cowboy

The good thing about Copperheads is that they are not very aggressive. My friend, a snake expert, says one of the biggest concentrations he knows of is at a Girl Scout Camp here in Oklahoma.

My best advice is to get rid of your mice and clean up your yard so that there is no place for them to hide. It is true that Copperhead bites are pretty benign for adults, but the smaller the kid, the greater the danger.
  19. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

Do you still have the opportunity to go there for a quail hunt?
  20. Rob B.

Yes, My good friend Ronnie Smith, still contracts with the Mariposa, I try to limit my impositions to every other season.:eek:

You may remember Ronnie's uncle Delmar Smith, a renowned dog trainer from Edmond.