Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
Why is anybody giving Fauci a pass on any of this. He’s on tape not too long ago saying this is not a big deal. What has the guy done right that anybody would sing his praises?

At some point we have to bite the billet, protect the vulnerable and carry on with life. What is the endgame here? We cannot hold out long enough waiting on a vaccine. I wish somebody would have the courage to say where the goalpost are at. Is it a vaccine? Acceptable treatment protocol? Once we hit this mark the country is back open again. What’s the alternative? Wait until there are zero cases in a world of 7 billion people?

Mar 11, 2006
If you haven’t read about how Sweden is handling the coronavirus it is interesting. They are encouraging social distancing and healthy practices like hand washing like everyone else, but they are keeping restaurants and fitness centers open. They are not force closing any business.

Current result: They have lower cases and deaths per millions than nearby Belgium and Netherlands. And less cases than Germany. And a lot less than some other EU countries like Italy, Spain, France, and Switzerland.

I don’t know if those results will hold, but I am glad one country is attempting modifying daily life and being smart and safe. Our country has made the draconian decision that negatively impacts the lives and jobs of tens of millions and it is destroying the economy. We will all learn from Sweden - one way or another. I hope and pray the learning is to act prudent and more thoughtful in approaching a pandemic, but we will see.

But one thing all sides should know now is that we have to treat potential pandemic preparation similar to how we treat the military. Pandemic preparedness should be an essential part of our national defense spending. We need a large stockpile of supplies and equipment and cross train active and reserves.

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
If you haven’t read about how Sweden is handling the coronavirus it is interesting. They are encouraging social distancing and healthy practices like hand washing like everyone else, but they are keeping restaurants and fitness centers open. They are not force closing any business.

Current result: They have lower cases and deaths per millions than nearby Belgium and Netherlands. And less cases than Germany. And a lot less than some other EU countries like Italy, Spain, France, and Switzerland.
About that

Sweden's liberal pandemic strategy questioned as Stockholm death toll mounts

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sweden-idUSKBN21L23R

Mar 11, 2006
About that

Sweden's liberal pandemic strategy questioned as Stockholm death toll mounts

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sweden-idUSKBN21L23R
I certainly don’t know if Sweden’s approach will end up being correct. But one thing that article fails to mention is yes Sweden’s cases are on an uptick, ....but so are most other countries. And Sweden’s increase in cases is lower than nearby Netherlands and Germany (although to be fair Germany’s death rate is lower - however that could be because how they are counting deaths due to virus as mentioned earlier in the thread).

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Confirmed positive in Guymon today. Person was tested March 18th and just received the result. Person had quarantined prior to testing and remained so during the wait. They had minimal symptoms and have already recovered per the fire chief.
Man when it reaches Guymon it's officially reached the remote corners of this country.
No, have we heard anything from gotebo yet?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Just got back from getting groceries at Walmart’s pick up. Hundreds of cars in the lot and saw a total of three people with masks. Didn’t go in, but doubt a higher percentage inside were wearing masks. The lowest hopeful guess is 150-250 thousand deaths. I’ll take the flu any day.
Same here. Just left walmart. Maybe 5 people wearing masks. They weren't really keeping track of how many people going in and out like they said they were going to do. Looked like a normal saturday afternoon in there.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Just got back from getting groceries at Walmart’s pick up. Hundreds of cars in the lot and saw a total of three people with masks. Didn’t go in, but doubt a higher percentage inside were wearing masks. The lowest hopeful guess is 150-250 thousand deaths. I’ll take the flu any day.
Same here. Just left walmart. Maybe 5 people wearing masks. They weren't really keeping track of how many people going in and out like they said they were going to do. Looked like a normal saturday afternoon in there.
Both Stillwater Walmarts and Lowe's were counting those coming in and going out with a tablet or other device.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I don’t know if those results will hold, but I am glad one country is attempting modifying daily life and being smart and safe. Our country has made the draconian decision that negatively impacts the lives and jobs of tens of millions and it is destroying the economy. We will all learn from Sweden - one way or another. I hope and pray the learning is to act prudent and more thoughtful in approaching a pandemic, but we will see.

But one thing all sides should know now is that we have to treat potential pandemic preparation similar to how we treat the military. Pandemic preparedness should be an essential part of our national defense spending. We need a large stockpile of supplies and equipment and cross train active and reserves.
They’re all alcoholics. Might have something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Afraid it’s gonna make the flu look wimpy. From what I’ve seen too many people are cavalierly going about their business as usual. Of course I’m old.
I really don't see many people going about business as usual...I see people everywhere being very careful...and that's the few that are out and about. I'm REALLY impressed with the America People on this one...we are going to vastly limit this thing and get back to work in record time...We, IMHO, WILL have a vaccine and certainly treatments...treatments are available NOW. This isn't going to nip us in the bud because we innovate and we are the USofA and won't let a virus cripple us for long.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I really don't see many people going about business as usual...I see people everywhere being very careful...and that's the few that are out and about. I'm REALLY impressed with the America People on this one...we are going to vastly limit this thing and get back to work in record time...We, IMHO, WILL have a vaccine and certainly treatments...treatments are available NOW. This isn't going to nip us in the bud because we innovate and we are the USofA and won't let a virus cripple us for long.
Thanks for the sunny forecast, hope you are right.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Maybe I'm a little more cautious about this thing than you. But that wouldn't take much since you've pretty much underestimated/underappreciated the severity of this situation from the get go.
I wear a mask and gloves everywhere I go and keep six feet from everyone I see...I have to work in a healthcare environment so yeah, I'm being VERY cautious...I just don't trust estimates and this is unprecedented as is our reaction to it...it's been a very bad thing to kill jobs and employment like we have for this but I understand we should to save lives...it's been a learning experience for all of us, but I still have a very optimistic opinion on the final outcomes and fail to think we are doomed as a society forever because of this. I feel innovation and the expertise of the American people will once again overcome. That is why I feel that it's STUPID to lock tornado shelters instead of innovating and telling people to wear mask and social distance in the shelters...I don't think that's a stretch and it actually is saving lives rather than expending. I have faith that people CAN and WILL do that...they are everyday, except maybe in Walmart...where we need work.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Must be different where you are, because there were a lot at my Wallyworld.