Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
How are you equating online services with in person protests? Why can’t you do online protests? The lack of common sense is solidly in your corner.
Because attending a church service is entirely voluntary among like minded individuals, a club if you will. Protests by their nature are intended to illicit awareness from non-like minded individuals. Having said that, if the graphic is correct and there are different rules for outdoor gatherings, I agree with you, stupid.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Because attending a church service is entirely voluntary among like minded individuals, a club if you will. Protests by their nature are intended to illicit awareness from non-like minded individuals. Having said that, if the graphic is correct and there are different rules for outdoor gatherings, I agree with you, stupid.
Huh? Are "non-like minded individuals" participating together in protests?

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Never agree with stupid people my friend. Even when they’re right.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Huh? Are "non-like minded individuals" participating together in protests?
Protests are apparently involuntary and are attended by people who are in no way like minded. People say some crazy stuff when they know they’re wrong. Why they don’t realize that just taking a step back and saying “my bad” makes them look so much better than doubling down on being wrong is beyond me.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
"The flu" is an attempt to down-play so that it fits into their worldview. I've never seen anything like the way people have invested their worldviews in this. The HCQ-zealotry and anti-zealotry is fascinating.
When...we finally get accurate numbers of infected persons and then accurate numbers pertaining to corona-19 deaths we will know the answer to these questions.

Nov 6, 2010
Protests are apparently involuntary and are attended by people who are in no way like minded. People say some crazy stuff when they know they’re wrong. Why they don’t realize that just taking a step back and saying “my bad” makes them look so much better than doubling down on being wrong is beyond me.
I have been tempted to put you on ignore, but I do truly appreciate your challenging my ideas. I still feel you are debating a strawman rather than me, and ask you to give me a bit of credence. I fully admit I may be the least intelligent person in this forum, and am likely wrong on at least as many points as I'm right. Just please stop with the accusations that I'm being disingenuous. Just call me a dumbass already!

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Unless and until we will not know the number who were infected using proven accurate testing and until we can accurately determine that this virus caused an individuals death it is all a guess. My present guess is a mortality rate of 3 to 5 times the regular flu we see yearly. But time will tell.
In Oklahoma, no kids from age 0 to 17 have died from COVID-19. Surely schools can start in August.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I have been tempted to put you on ignore, but I do truly appreciate your challenging my ideas. I still feel you are debating a strawman rather than me, and ask you to give me a bit of credence. I fully admit I may be the least intelligent person in this forum, and am likely wrong on at least as many points as I'm right. Just please stop with the accusations that I'm being disingenuous. Just call me a dumbass already!
Nah, you’re a smart guy. Disingenuous probably isn’t fair so that’s my bad. But I do see a lot of inconsistencies in certain people’s beliefs and I enjoy pointing those out. Not to be a jerk, but rather I think if people were a bit more open to what the other side is thinking we’d all be better off. People are human and I get that.

I don’t want to come off as a troll or overly annoying so I will try to do better.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Unless and until we will not know the number who were infected using proven accurate testing and until we can accurately determine that this virus caused an individuals death it is all a guess. My present guess is a mortality rate of 3 to 5 times the regular flu we see yearly. But time will tell.
In Oklahoma, no kids from age 0 to 17 have died from COVID-19. Surely schools can start in August.
Kids 0-17 have died outside of Oklahoma. So, are Oklahoma kids somehow immune?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Kids 0-17 have died outside of Oklahoma. So, are Oklahoma kids somehow immune?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Obviously just Oklahoma is a smaller sample size but the point is this age group is not much at risk. The bigger issue still is they likelihood of them carrying to other people who may be at more risk.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Obviously just Oklahoma is a smaller sample size but the point is this age group is not much at risk. The bigger issue still is they likelihood of them carrying to other people who may be at more risk.
Right, it is selection bias. As we're learning, increasing population density by bringing young people together increases the spread. How that's going to affect the larger picture we still don't know.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
There will be a contingent of people who want to keep schools closed and the argument will be the kids will bring it home to grandma and kill her. I’m willing to bet most grandparents would rather have their kids in school and will find a way to live with the risk.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Right, it is selection bias. As we're learning, increasing population density by bringing young people together increases the spread. How that's going to affect the larger picture we still don't know.
A country reopens schools, but it didn't go well at every school.

“Two weeks after Israel fully reopened schools, a COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through classrooms — including at least 130 cases at a single school — has led officials to close dozens of schools where students and staff were infected. A new policy orders any school where a virus case emerges to close.”

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...are-discovered

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
A country reopens schools, but it didn't go well at every school.

“Two weeks after Israel fully reopened schools, a COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through classrooms — including at least 130 cases at a single school — has led officials to close dozens of schools where students and staff were infected. A new policy orders any school where a virus case emerges to close.”

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...are-discovered

I'd be curious as to the ages and size of the school. Didn't see it mentioned in the article. 130 cases out of the BA school district would be quite small, 130 out of your small schoold would be entirely different. I also haven't seen anything where you've had significant outbreaks at elementary schools. High schools, especially large, crowded ones, would be a different story.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
There will be a contingent of people who want to keep schools closed and the argument will be the kids will bring it home to grandma and kill her. I’m willing to bet most grandparents would rather have their kids in school and will find a way to live with the risk.
Isn't that every grandparent's dream, suffering a long, slow agonizing death instead of having their grandchildren at home?