Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
My views on this are fine. I’m right in the middle. Mask are important to me but I’m not too blind to see the politics of it all and the overblown aspects of it as well. Certainly I know my fair share of those who have had it and I don’t want my elderly parents to get it. So far everyone I know of over 26 people, most in their mid fifties, have remained out of the hospital. Hopefully they didn’t infect elderly parents as their teens unknowingly infected them.
So take your word on your own opinion? This is pretty rich.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Where are these folks when we kill millions of unborn almost annually
Children of essential workers have been in daycares the entire time. Countries all over the world are back to school or never left. There is plenty of data on kids in daycares/schools.

According to the CDC 46 kids experience sudden death annually playing sports that’s not counting injuries that lead to death or serious impact such as paralysis etc...that’s more than have died under 18 currently of covid including infants ages 1-4.
We need to protect at risk workers and educate our children.....like federal program to pay them etc, it’s cheaper than everything else we are doing. But homeschool is not school and the longer it goes and the more parents that are back at work the worse it will get.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
My views on this are fine. I’m right in the middle. Mask are important to me but I’m not too blind to see the politics of it all and the overblown aspects of it as well. Certainly I know my fair share of those who have had it and I don’t want my elderly parents to get it. So far everyone I know of over 26 people, most in their mid fifties, have remained out of the hospital. Hopefully they didn’t infect elderly parents as their teens unknowingly infected them.
I don't think you are "in the middle" I'm not really sure if there is a middle at this point, which is weird considering this is the biggest thing anyone not in their 90's have ever experienced. Back in March this should have turned into a unifying event. In other first world countries it was and they are doing far better now. Here we still bicker over so much dumb crap and now hundreds of thousands are paying the price.

My views on this have changed almost weekly. Early I thought it was the sniffles. Then when I got inside information about what was going on in Seattle and saw that people were dying in my county it got serious real quick. I religiously wore a mask for a while and then I stopped because I can get groceries and buy beer without being within 6 feet of people for more than a few seconds and with the precautions I take, if I was an asymptomatic carrier then wearing a mask isn't going to save us. I went back to the mask every time recently because I spent the 4th with family and although we were smart about things I can't guarantee I haven't been exposed. My youngest had a birthday party on Sunday and we again were smart about things but there were people from MSP and Sioux Falls there so for the next couple of weeks my bubble has holes. I'm not worried about my kids and hope school is as normal as it can be in the fall. My kids go to private school (Catholic) so the small class size helps. My 2nd grader will probably wear a mask all day and his classmates desks will be spread out as far as they can. I think that's fine. My pre-schooler hates masks and I'm guessing the other 4 year olds feel the same. It's concerning (moreso for the teachers) but for the risk of this to kids in grade school, another year of being at home away from friends is worse. I don't fault other districts in urban areas but in a rural place with maybe one new case per day now I think the greater risk is the psychological wellbeing of the kids.

So yeah, aside from the economic and social aspects of this (that's an even bigger tldr post) thats a snapshot into my mind the last 5 months. I think your views have changed as well. You were a legitimate pandemic denier early and now you are wearing a mask and concerned about your parents-thats good and that's growth. But I think your political preference is still clouding your judgment. The media doesn't have to spin this to make it look bad for Trump. We really screwed the pooch here and this is a buck stops here moment but the Commander and Chief spent the day retweeting stupid stuff by a former gameshow host. It's ok to say the media has an agenda but right now they are horrified at the situation and we have a "leader" who is fiddling as the city burns.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I was trying to give you advice. If you are incapable of taking a step back and saying maybe my views on this should change as we learn more then I'm not sure what to tell you.
Shouldn’t everyone take that approach including you? Should you be lecturing him about where he stands on the issue when we haven’t learned everything yet? It’s possible he’s closer to being right in his approach than you are isn’t it?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
True, which is why schools need to have their s*** together and states need to support them in working to limit size of contact circles and keeping transmission low. Still, given studies on transmission dynamics, especially in those 10 and under, the bigger worry is teachers. Their point prevalence could reach 5% in a bad outbreak. There are nowhere near enough subs to cover that, let alone legit worries about deaths.
It isn't only schools that need to get their act together, we all need to get our act together and stop with the "muh rights... constertution!" and wear the damn masks. Otherwise school... college football... college sports... is all going to be canceled.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Children of essential workers have been in daycares the entire time. Countries all over the world are back to school or never left. There is plenty of data on kids in daycares/schools.

According to the CDC 46 kids experience sudden death annually playing sports that’s not counting injuries that lead to death or serious impact such as paralysis etc...that’s more than have died under 18 currently of covid including infants ages 1-4.
We need to protect at risk workers and educate our children.....like federal program to pay them etc, it’s cheaper than everything else we are doing. But homeschool is not school and the longer it goes and the more parents that are back at work the worse it will get.
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong. Can you tell which of these things is not like the others by the time I finish my song?
1594730982520.png

Sudden death R0=0
Impact injuries R0=0

COVID-19 is an apple, these are oranges. Kids can avoid sudden death and impact injuries by, you know, not participating in sports. They cannot choose not to sit next to someone who is contagious, asymptomatic, and doesn't know it.

You've been consistently wrong about everything about this from the beginning. STFU donny, you're out of your element.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don't think you are "in the middle" I'm not really sure if there is a middle at this point, which is weird considering this is the biggest thing anyone not in their 90's have ever experienced. Back in March this should have turned into a unifying event. In other first world countries it was and they are doing far better now. Here we still bicker over so much dumb crap and now hundreds of thousands are paying the price.

My views on this have changed almost weekly. Early I thought it was the sniffles. Then when I got inside information about what was going on in Seattle and saw that people were dying in my county it got serious real quick. I religiously wore a mask for a while and then I stopped because I can get groceries and buy beer without being within 6 feet of people for more than a few seconds and with the precautions I take, if I was an asymptomatic carrier then wearing a mask isn't going to save us. I went back to the mask every time recently because I spent the 4th with family and although we were smart about things I can't guarantee I haven't been exposed. My youngest had a birthday party on Sunday and we again were smart about things but there were people from MSP and Sioux Falls there so for the next couple of weeks my bubble has holes. I'm not worried about my kids and hope school is as normal as it can be in the fall. My kids go to private school (Catholic) so the small class size helps. My 2nd grader will probably wear a mask all day and his classmates desks will be spread out as far as they can. I think that's fine. My pre-schooler hates masks and I'm guessing the other 4 year olds feel the same. It's concerning (moreso for the teachers) but for the risk of this to kids in grade school, another year of being at home away from friends is worse. I don't fault other districts in urban areas but in a rural place with maybe one new case per day now I think the greater risk is the psychological wellbeing of the kids.

So yeah, aside from the economic and social aspects of this (that's an even bigger tldr post) thats a snapshot into my mind the last 5 months. I think your views have changed as well. You were a legitimate pandemic denier early and now you are wearing a mask and concerned about your parents-thats good and that's growth. But I think your political preference is still clouding your judgment. The media doesn't have to spin this to make it look bad for Trump. We really screwed the pooch here and this is a buck stops here moment but the Commander and Chief spent the day retweeting stupid stuff by a former gameshow host. It's ok to say the media has an agenda but right now they are horrified at the situation and we have a "leader" who is fiddling as the city burns.
I love 90% of what you say here, but I totally disagree about how our country should be run. In fact I do NOT think NYC and OKC, and especially not some panhandle town, should be run anywhere close to under the same policy and that's why Trump did a good job to let the governors run it and then provide as they needed it. I can't imagine the damage someone would have done had they taken complete control rather than asking the states and local governments to do it on their own as is dictated by the constitution. The thing is we are really 50 small countries that agree to be united under one Federal Government. Could Trump do better, sure, he could be less of a teen girl and realize that most people aren't going to dig any deeper than an irresponsible tweet. He should have more control than us internet posters. This shouldn't be political, but, despite what you seem to be saying, it is camp bon fire that has been thrown gasoline on by the media so much so that it is now a forest fire. IS the pandemic bad? Yep. Is it worse than other ones the human species has survived and thrived through for 8,000 years? No. Did China create the damn thing to throw us and the world into exactly the type of trauma that we are in? I think the evidence points to that, and I think that was due to Trump exerting pressure on them to stop taking advantage of US markets and to get them to be a better world player (they cheat). So maybe you could blame this on him, for perhaps being too quick to attempt to fix that, if you want. Bottom line, I agree with what you are personally doing and applaud you for being careful....I just have a political difference of opinion, but I do agree the POTUS makes his fair share of mistakes, like having the Tulsa rally and making dumb statements and having to walk back policy like he did several times in the start of this...by even that, by the way, doesn't have to make us divided, Presidents come and go and we move back and forth with the flow...on that we should be proud that ALL opinions can coexist in our nation and that we can survive and thrive despite that. We the People are in control as elections cycle, not some big central government. I thank God for that.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So take your word on your own opinion? This is pretty rich.
This is my issue with it, it's a bit unbalanced and it's a bit unhinged in it's political element. Mind you, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor that we shouldn't treat it seriously, but politics and the media has mitigated how serious we treat it or don't and that's a damn shame. It's been used (IMHO, mind you) to scare the hell out of the nation. Agree or disagree on the severity of the virus...my last statement about how it's been used by the media is just a damn fact, and I don't think that's even debatable. All you have to do is read the crap that Binman post daily on this message board to see the truth in this statement.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong. Can you tell which of these things is not like the others by the time I finish my song?
View attachment 83454

Sudden death R0=0
Impact injuries R0=0

COVID-19 is an apple, these are oranges. Kids can avoid sudden death and impact injuries by, you know, not participating in sports. They cannot choose not to sit next to someone who is contagious, asymptomatic, and doesn't know it.

You've been consistently wrong about everything about this from the beginning. STFU donny, you're out of your element.
I get what you're saying and your concerns. Help me understand what is now happening in Sweden. They were the "experiement" with taking no safety measures which did result in a high number of deaths. However, since their deaths have pretty much bottomed out and the daily cases are 1/6th what they were at the peak 2 weeks ago. Could it be the mythical heard immunity even though we think the antibodies are only temporary?

Sweden's coronavirus death toll is now approaching zero, but experts are warning others not to hail it as a success

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If you haven't been to an abortion clinic to try to stop women from getting abortions, what does that say about you?
LOL, It says that you haven't met me and don't know. No I haven't stood on a street corner and protested but my money has been given to causes that do attempt to provide alternatives for women in that position and I do see it as the biggest problem we have in American life overall for the past 50 years. You do, however, have a point. I haven't done enough in that area.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

You seem a little conflicted here.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
This is my issue with it, it's a bit unbalanced and it's a bit unhinged in it's political element. Mind you, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor that we shouldn't treat it seriously, but politics and the media has mitigated how serious we treat it or don't and that's a damn shame. It's been used (IMHO, mind you) to scare the hell out of the nation. Agree or disagree on the severity of the virus...my last statement about how it's been used by the media is just a damn fact, and I don't think that's even debatable. All you have to do is read the crap that Binman post daily on this message board to see the truth in this statement.
I think your distaste for the media has clouded your vision.

Also, when have you ever changed your mind in the face of conflicting data with your beliefs? You make a decision at the outset and try your damndest to hold to that no matter what the evidence is. Shit, you have been completely out of your element arguing with two medical professionals, one of which has seen the impacts of the virus firsthand. Do you think you know note than them about it?

Why not admit you don't know much about this and defer to those that do?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It isn't only schools that need to get their act together, we all need to get our act together and stop with the "muh rights... constertution!" and wear the damn masks. Otherwise school... college football... college sports... is all going to be canceled.
Of course we need to get our act together for other things. It's also not just mask wearing. It's things like packing bars and going to parties (not just 20 something parties, but even families packing 30+ together for birthdays) or other gatherings. We've all seen the reports and I have friends and family who have done it. This is what we keep hearing is the primary driver of these increases, including that it causes secondary spread. The people at the bars/parties/gatherings don't just spread it to each other, including likely what happened to a friend where he was being cautious and even wore a mask while taking out a teenage kid he mentors. Turns out, the kid had it with minimal to no symptoms and likely gave it to him since they were in a car together for extended periods (no idea if the kid wore a mask). Now my 60+ friend is positive at home being cared for by his 60+ wife. Anecdotes aren't data, but it is a decent exemplar of how it doesn't stay contained at these parties or bars among the 30 and under crowd.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
View attachment 83454

Sudden death R0=0
Impact injuries R0=0

You have seen the contact tracing studies on children and asymptomatic people correct. That is science, they are still learning and aren't willing to say the two groups can not spread the disease but the risk of spread from the two groups is very low near 0.

As a general rule it is believed children under 10 can't get the disease. Of course their will be a few exceptions to every rule. Something about a receptor most have not developed yet that prevents them from catching the disease. Once again that is science.

It has amazed me watching you through this. You have been out there screaming the science of emotion for the most part. You sound like a far lefty. People will die we know that it is one of the side effects of a pandemic. It happens with disease every day in the world.

The scientific objective is to not overload the ICU's with Covid patients so we don't have a lot of deaths from other preventable things. Even at peak in NYC that never happened. It's not happening now.

All the science points to this being no more or even less severe than the average flu season for people under 20. It also points to the fact they are at very low risk of spreading it to other people even if they become infected unlike the flu.

Go ahead keep screaming people will die as your whole argument like a far lefty.

Keeping the economy shut down will end up killing far more people but muh the virus.