Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Welp, business I work for is debating sending everyone (300+ employees) home again and just working from home like we did March-April. :(

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
First face masks, next goggles, and now ear protection?!?
7/31/20

747 new cases
5 new deaths (3 occurred within the past 24-hours) 1 - 36-49; 1 - 50-64; 3 - 65+
776 newly recovered
621 currently hospitalized
253 Covid-19 patients in ICU
208 ICU beds available (22%)
5.768% positive test rate
8/3/20

377 new cases
1 new deaths (1 occurred within the past 24-hours) 1 - 65+
345 newly recovered
628 currently hospitalized
172 ICU beds available (20%)
5.994% positive test rate

Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/1289893710872936450

A couple of the demands make sense. I completely agree:
1) that a student should be able to defer a year of his eligibility if he/she doesn’t want to play due to the virus.
2) that a student should be compensated for use of his/her likeness

But a couple of the ideas are non-starters:
1) Prohibit COVID-19 waivers
2) Ending academic bonus compensation. (Why, this should be a good thing. Students should be in school to learn)
3) Demand using endowment funds to pay for all sports (school endowments are used primarily for academic uses. Should not be a demand to help fund travel for field hockey)
4) 2%of revenue to help people of a certain race. Should be for all low income - not a specific race.
5) Medical insurance fo 6 years past eligibility ends.
6) Distribute 50% of revenue evenly among student athletes (a definite hard no - these are amateur athletes - not pro players)

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
A couple of the demands make sense. I completely agree:
1) that a student should be able to defer a year of his eligibility if he/she doesn’t want to play due to the virus.
2) that a student should be compensated for use of his/her likeness

But a couple of the ideas are non-starters:
1) Prohibit COVID-19 waivers
2) Ending academic bonus compensation. (Why, this should be a good thing. Students should be in school to learn)
3) Demand using endowment funds to pay for all sports (school endowments are used primarily for academic uses. Should not be a demand to help fund travel for field hockey)
4) 2%of revenue to help people of a certain race. Should be for all low income - not a specific race.
5) Medical insurance fo 6 years past eligibility ends.
6) Distribute 50% of revenue evenly among student athletes (a definite hard no - these are amateur athletes - not pro players)
will be interesting to follow this request through. If enough athletes get on board with it AND I don't think the Schools are going to give in to those demands. I wouldn't be surprised if THIS is the reason the PAC 12 doesn't play this year and not necessarily because of COVID

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
First face masks, next goggles, and now ear protection?!?

8/3/20

377 new cases
1 new deaths (1 occurred within the past 24-hours) 1 - 65+
345 newly recovered
628 currently hospitalized
172 ICU beds available (20%)
5.994% positive test rate
Starting to see a lot of experts say masks are making things worse and the media doesn’t seem to be trying to quiet that narrative. Do we think that’s true or is this an effort to shut things completely down again?

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Love how he has to make an excuse for the low totals today, but never mentions any reasoning for spikes on Tuesdays. Sunday cases were also very low.
I didn’t read it that way at all. I thought he was making a case for this being good news since last Monday was a spike.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
The media spin is disturbing. Why not come out and say how many new cases and deaths there were? Why not mention the lowest new cases since ______ like they do with record highs? No, they just come with the high total numbers.

1596472264368.png

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Starting to see a lot of experts say masks are making things worse and the media doesn’t seem to be trying to quiet that narrative. Do we think that’s true or is this an effort to shut things completely down again?
What experts? I've seen the Surgeon General on TV urging people to wear them and the CDC urging everyone to wear them

Florida hospitals launched a "Wear a Mask campaign today"

Ascension St. Vincent’s, Baptist Health, Brooks Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic, Memorial Hospital, Orange Park Medical Center, UF Health Jacksonville and Wolfson Children’s Hospital launched a public service campaign that is being featured on billboards, social media and on TV.

Duke Univ has wrapped all the cars on their campus as of this week with a "Wear a Mask" Message

Wisconsin just announced they will NOT require a face mask to vote but are highly encouraging all voters to do so

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
1. I think the medical professionals are kinda grasping at straws sometimes since they're figuring this thing out on the fly. I don't think there's any agenda other than just responding to the latest findings on the virus.
2. Media gonna media. They will literally do ANYTHING to increase their views, which in most cases means generating the maximum amount of fear, hype, etc..... It's a legitimate conflict of interest, IMO.
3. Politicians gonna politician. They will also literally do anything to retain their $$$ and power.

I honestly don't think any media outlets care or politicians care at all beyond that. In fact, this is a good thing for most of them.