Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Tried it and some is a bit strange. My county's cases have been falling for three weeks and is the only population center in my region with less than 10 daily cases per 100k people. It still said my community risk was very high compared to historical trends. The only thing I can think of is school is starting and college kids are moving in. Otherwise, I can't see how the risk is very high especially compared to our data since our first wave hit in April. We've only had one week since then that was better than this last week and that was the week of 4th of July when reporting was super slow.
1597516085083.png

Mar 11, 2006
My daughter is in her sorority now (her sorority is not the one with 23 positives), but as I told her on her move-in day last week, that she needs to assume someone in her sorority will get the virus. And if she gets it, get medical assistance, quarantine herself, contact your teachers and to get distance learning temporarily, and it is not a big deal.

Last edited:

PF5

Wrangler
Jan 3, 2014
My daughter is in her sorority now (her sorority is not the one with 23 positives), but as I told her on her move-in day last week, that she needs to assume someone in her sorority will get the virus. And if she gets it, get medical assistance, quarantine herself, contact your teachers and to get distance learning temporarily, and it is not a big deal.
that made me chuckle...not in the funny sense, but in the slight shaking of head chuckle...

Mar 11, 2006
Tulsa County COVID stats thru yesterday.

11,312 cases
113 deaths

73% of cases are under 50 years of age, but only 6% of deaths in same age group.
Under 50: 8,261 cases and 7 deaths
Over 50: 3,051 cases and 106 deaths (80% of those deaths 65+).

Good news is 7-day rolling average of new cases is now down to equal of what it was on June 23rd.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Channel 9 just showed an interview with a college aged girl who is extremely concerned because she regularly walks by that house. Yes she’s afraid of getting Covid by walking past a building! People are insane.
You sure she wasn't worried about having likely passed close by the members as they both walk next to the house? I guess it could be she's afraid of being near the building, but seems more likely and more reasonable that having to pass by the sorority members on the sidewalk every day made her nervous.

You sure she wasn't worried about having likely passed close by the members as they both walk next to the house? I guess it could be she's afraid of being near the building, but seems more likely and more reasonable that having to pass by the sorority members on the sidewalk every day made her nervous.
You really think it’s transmitted by walking by someone on a sidewalk? It’s just unbelievable to me anybody has been manipulated into thinking this should be a concern. If you’re really that concerned walk around with some distance. This is where we are as a society I guess.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
You really think it’s transmitted by walking by someone on a sidewalk? It’s just unbelievable to me anybody has been manipulated into thinking this should be a concern. If you’re really that concerned walk around with some distance. This is where we are as a society I guess.
I didn't say I was worried but offered a more rational explanation. Also, there are some respiratory viruses that are that contagious, though this one doesn't appear to spread that way, at least not often.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
To be clear, I am not at all saying they are victorious. They made serious mistakes, like many countries did. They did a poor job, like a lot of countries, of protecting their elderly.

I do think, however, they provided the world information that keeping Elementary schools open can be accomplish without causing health problems. Other countries followed their learnings and reopened schools as soon as late April and May. In Oklahoma, in many school districts, we ignored that learning and have made decisions based on fear and influence from teacher unions.
Is there data that shows this?
Not yet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
That's a pretty massive spike and I think what a lot of people were afraid of once other students got back on campus. On the other hand, if they get this back under control, and that's a big if, its gonna be hard to argue that cancelling the season altogether is the definitive right answer.
I am not following here.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I am not following here.

Phrased it better in another post. It provides a test of whether the season can feasibly move forward, but to accomplish that they now have a high hurdle in getting their cases back to 0 per week. Being honest, I don't think that's really feasible within the first month of other students on campus, but I'm open to seeing if they can make it happen.

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
People were scared that the unmasked Trump rally in Tulsa would be a public health disaster. So what happened? Positive cases in Oklahoma City spiked ahead of Tulsa's both county and especially city. A delightful irony would be Enid in coming weeks going ahead of Stillwater in total positive cases. I don't think Enid has a mask mandate.

Last edited: