Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
Good news. For the first time since Tulsa County started tracking the coronavirus, there have now been 9 consecutive days of the rolling 7-day cases average dropping.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
NPS just updated their policy that elementary kids can do in-person school starting the 31st (2nd week of school). Middle and High school will be allowed to do in-person starting the 3rd week. Cases in Cleveland County have dropped to mid-June levels.

Bay Area Poke

Banned
Banned
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Thanks, for your comments on it. Sounds like we are close to completely through wave #1 then...because since May deaths have been largely on the decline in terms of numbers per 100K population and per positive test (largely) even if we were sloppy until May. Would you agree with that statement? If so, to what would you attribute that decline in death rate?

One of my very good friends is a heart surgeon who does multiple heart caths a week, in the two months we were pretty much locked down he did less than a third of his normal. This leads me to believe that death from heart issues unrelated to covid where likely much higher than normal because people weren't getting help for those things. It was the same with other routine medical checks. I think the plausible explanation is that a lot of deaths overall where due to poor or no healthcare delivery due to the overreaction made in everywhere too early becuase of the NYC issues and the covid lock down we did as a response when our first wave didn't even hit in most of the country until a few months later. Of course it's most likely a combination of all types of things related to shutting down the healthcare delivery system to focus only on the unknown virus.

What you are saying leads me to believe that the NE did even worse than the atrocious numbers they did report. Would that be a logical and accurate assumption given what you are stating in terms of undercount?
Your heart surgeon friend said the same thing that my friends that are surgeons, family docs, oncologists etcetera have told me. I think in the end we are going to find that the death toll from avoiding or not being given care during all of this will equal or surpass actual Covid deaths. But it will be something we don’t find out about for years IMO.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Why are cases in college towns/schools showing up a day after an event but cases have been on about a 10-14 day lag following pretty much everything else? Memorial Day, the protests, wide spread business openings.....on the positive side good numbers are showing up for masks mandates but there is always a lag. Schools, picture of a party case by noon......why?

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Your heart surgeon friend said the same thing that my friends that are surgeons, family docs, oncologists etcetera have told me. I think in the end we are going to find that the death toll from avoiding or not being given care during all of this will equal or surpass actual Covid deaths. But it will be something we don’t find out about for years IMO.
I think you’re overeager to downplay COVID deaths. There’s no way, no way, deaths of neglected non-COVID patients outpaced COVID deaths. Are you suffering from CDS?

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Why are cases in college towns/schools showing up a day after an event but cases have been on about a 10-14 day lag following pretty much everything else? Memorial Day, the protests, wide spread business openings.....on the positive side good numbers are showing up for masks mandates but there is always a lag. Schools, picture of a party case by noon......why?
Cases are showing up because cases are showing up. The lag is a concern but the lag has gotten shorter as testing has gotten better. The latency period is 2-14 days and contact tracing is much better so we are probably seeing more positives before symptoms show up.

That being said, it's easy for 40 year old me to shake my head but 18 year old me probably would have been at the same house party. People need to be smart about this but we are talking about a portion of the population that thinks they will live forever. Aside from going back to the April lockdowns, which would be pointless as college kids are going to ignore it, there may not be much that can be done here.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Quit spreading fake news! Everyone knows you can't catch the Rona at a protest.

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
We now have the best evidence yet that everyone develops long-term coronavirus immunity after infection — and it's not just about antibodies

https://www.yahoo.com/news/now-best-evidence-yet-everyone-195200113.html

Scientists may now have an answer to one of the most crucial lingering questions about COVID-19: whether people develop long-term immunity.

Early research suggested that coronavirus antibodies — blood proteins that protect the body from subsequent infections — could fade within months. But in their concern about those findings' implications, many people failed to consider our immune system's multilayered defense against invading pathogens.

Specifically, they discounted the role of white blood cells, which have impressive powers of recollection that can help your body mount another attack against the coronavirus should it ever return. Memory T cells are an especially key type, since they identify and destroy infected cells and inform B cells about how to craft new virus-targeting antibodies.

A study published Friday in the journal Cell suggests that everyone who gets COVID-19 — even people with mild or asymptomatic cases — develops T cells that can hunt down the coronavirus if they get exposed again later.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
I think you’re overeager to downplay COVID deaths. There’s no way, no way, deaths of neglected non-COVID patients outpaced COVID deaths. Are you suffering from CDS?
Yeah, don't tell him about the 28 million people in the US without health insurance Pre Covid and then 10's of millions more added to that list thanks to unemployment.

His concern for people not getting healthcare seems to coincide with his need to deflect 170,000 deaths.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Cases are showing up because cases are showing up. The lag is a concern but the lag has gotten shorter as testing has gotten better. The latency period is 2-14 days and contact tracing is much better so we are probably seeing more positives before symptoms show up.

That being said, it's easy for 40 year old me to shake my head but 18 year old me probably would have been at the same house party. People need to be smart about this but we are talking about a portion of the population that thinks they will live forever. Aside from going back to the April lockdowns, which would be pointless as college kids are going to ignore it, there may not be much that can be done here.
Just say it as it is...the urgency of the press has gotten greater in an attempt to continue the media fear based buzz. Certainly I don't disagree that parties are a bad idea right now, but to not see the media's desire to keep things AND force other things to shut down is just being blind. It's actually shocking to me that American Press in any part of the country would be so stinking gung ho in their virus cheerleading. It's honestly the scariest and most disgusting thing I've seen in my life in terms of our national politic. Very sad. Btw, I'm to the point that I don't know what action to take regarding a lot of things right now...my job, my investments, my house, and even my family. If I could (can't due to covid) I would be seriously and actively perusing leaving the country. Sad state of the Union right now. I need to be encouraged that we are NOT going to descend even further into anarchy NO MATTER WHO wins this stupid election.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Just say it as it is...the urgency of the press has gotten greater in an attempt to continue the media fear based buzz. Certainly I don't disagree that parties are a bad idea right now, but to not see the media's desire to keep things AND force other things to shut down is just being blind. It's actually shocking to me that American Press in any part of the country would be so stinking gung ho in their virus cheerleading. It's honestly the scariest and most disgusting thing I've seen in my life in terms of our national politic. Very sad. Btw, I'm to the point that I don't know what action to take regarding a lot of things right now...my job, my investments, my house, and even my family. If I could (can't due to covid) I would be seriously and actively perusing leaving the country. Sad state of the Union right now. I need to be encouraged that we are NOT going to descend even further into anarchy NO MATTER WHO wins this stupid election.
How is the "anarchy" affecting you personally? My family member just moved(a few weeks back) to Portland. Just East of Downtown and is working/living there normally (aside from working from home mostly because COVID). Even walked to the main areas of the protests a few times to scope things out. Seems strange that if it is not affecting them that you, in OK would not have way way way less issues.

Seems to me you are saying the fear of COVID is unreasonable and then have an even more unreasonable fear of "anarchy".

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Oklahoma County Commission voted today on giving COVID CARES act money to the Oklahoma County Jail to use to battle COVID.....this is something that was very charged last week as they didn't even know if it was legal. They voted 2-1 to give it to the Jail today. Then the following happened

FYI Kevin Calvey is the District 3 county commish

1597851985090.png